There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will the offensive line hold back the 49ers offense this season?

This is my one and only worry for us is the O line more the pass protection I think they will be solid on the run blocking.. but for some reason I am a little concerned about the pass protection..They cant be letting Alex Smith get sacked or rushed to trow..they need to give alex his time in the pocket for he could make good passes but if they dont give him the pass protection he needs hes going to take alot of hits and be rushed in to bad trows..,so hopfully they inprove in pass protection.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar:
I agree too. I think the OL definitely has some problems, specifically on the right side of the line. And the o-line isn't as amazing at run blocking as the narrative would state either, as evidenced by our inability to pick up short yardage plays when we need them. Are they an average line with the ability to be above average? Yes. Is the left side of the line significantly better than the right side? Yes.

The OL benefits from amazing situations play calls, a varied run scheme and the Harbaugh Reality distortion field.
HA, The JH reality distortion field. sounds like something that mr spock should use his tri corder on. i agree with your assessment to.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Oscar:
I agree too. I think the OL definitely has some problems, specifically on the right side of the line. And the o-line isn't as amazing at run blocking as the narrative would state either, as evidenced by our inability to pick up short yardage plays when we need them. Are they an average line with the ability to be above average? Yes. Is the left side of the line significantly better than the right side? Yes.

The OL benefits from amazing situations play calls, a varied run scheme and the Harbaugh Reality distortion field.
HA, The JH reality distortion field. sounds like something that mr spock should use his tri corder on. i agree with your assessment to.

Love that!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Considering the huge holes they've opened in the run game I would say they'll be the reason we are successful.
We have 4 starters on the line who have not had a full offseason as a starter with the niners until this year. I think having that with the coaches here will make a huge difference in their play.
Just glad it's the pre-season and not regular season play. IMO, we should be fine. We are still getting comfortable with the offense opening up, although not in this game in particular. A Davis, to me, is still a liability but then again, he was also the same last year.

Give it a few weeks (I hope) and we should pick up the nuance of the playbook.

Better Rivals is becoming one of my most "looked forward to" (Grammar...?) pieces of 49er Media out there. You guys are doing a great job!

Was the "Reality Distortion field" born out of this podcast? I wasn't sure. If so, put a TM on that! Very appropriate way to view an NFL head coach's relationship with the media.

So.... the year 2007? You guys must have had a really good year in 2007. But you cited Big Ben being drafted that year (it was 2004, and he won the Super Bowl in 2006) and Patriots v Rams in the SB in 2007? that was 2002.

Great job though, I correct because I love, "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse!"

Also, Pop filters are great, but can you turn up the volume? it's a little too quite. I had to download it to my iPod and listen with earphone while I cleaned my room because it was too quite on my comp;)
I don't know much about Packers beyond Rodgers...

Do they have a good pass rush????
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Better Rivals is becoming one of my most "looked forward to" (Grammar...?) pieces of 49er Media out there. You guys are doing a great job!

Was the "Reality Distortion field" born out of this podcast? I wasn't sure. If so, put a TM on that! Very appropriate way to view an NFL head coach's relationship with the media.

So.... the year 2007? You guys must have had a really good year in 2007. But you cited Big Ben being drafted that year (it was 2004, and he won the Super Bowl in 2006) and Patriots v Rams in the SB in 2007? that was 2002.

Great job though, I correct because I love, "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse!"

Also, Pop filters are great, but can you turn up the volume? it's a little too quite. I had to download it to my iPod and listen with earphone while I cleaned my room because it was too quite on my comp;)

All awesome feedback! I really appreciate it. I have a short memory, lol. So for me the world only ever goes back about 5 years. Anything that happens happened 5 years or less ago

And yes, the Reality Distortion Field was a term I took from people who cover Steve Jobs and applied it to Jim Harbaugh.

We'll turn the volume up some more. I hate when things are too quiet.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
I don't know much about Packers beyond Rodgers...

Do they have a good pass rush????

They did when they won the Super Bowl.
I'm in no way at the panic point right now with the offensive line. They played greate against the Vikings, and had some hiccups against the Texans. Its the pre-season. They'll be fine. I actually have confidence that they will be pretty outstanding this year. Its just a wait and see ordeal. So I wouldn't panic at all right now.
Oline is pretty good, the QB just needs to do a better job of getting the ball out faster.
After rewatching the game last night it looks to me the 1st string online had one bad play. Iupati got beat by Antonio smith up the middle and got the bs roughing the passer. Other then that they didn't struggle.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by natrone06:
After rewatching the game last night it looks to me the 1st string online had one bad play. Iupati got beat by Antonio smith up the middle and got the bs roughing the passer. Other then that they didn't struggle.

And when Boone missed the stunt?
Originally posted by DVDA:
Considering the huge holes they've opened in the run game I would say they'll be the reason we are successful.

I love this response because its simple and clear, it's to the point, and it's the absolute truth.