There are 558 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Players who surprised you?

^ also have to add Bowman to my list. I didn't understand picking "a 4-3 weakside backer" for our system. A guy that "was a small cover LB that would have to run around blocks".

I swear, I have to wonder why I get so caught up in the draft reports every year.. when they can end up so wrong.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ also have to add Bowman to my list. I didn't understand picking "a 4-3 weakside backer" for our system. A guy that "was a small cover LB that would have to run around blocks".

I swear, I have to wonder why I get so caught up in the draft reports every year.. when they can end up so wrong.

LOL! Yeah, I read several magazines, read websites and then watch players come out of nowhere (Jenkins). When they get the positions wrong I know I can't trust them but it seems there is no integrity in the media, whether news or sports...just throw stuff out there as quickly as possible and keep going. When the pundits on NFLN are being paid as "experts" and don't even know who the players are on most teams...except the Cowboys and Jets...it makes one wonder!

Edit: Just reread that and boy am I sounding like an old crotchety complainer! Well, if the truss fits!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LOL! Yeah, I read several magazines, read websites and then watch players come out of nowhere (Jenkins). When they get the positions wrong I know I can't trust them but it seems there is no integrity in the media, whether news or sports...just throw stuff out there as quickly as possible and keep going. When the pundits on NFLN are being paid as "experts" and don't even know who the players are on most teams...except the Cowboys and Jets...it makes one wonder!

Edit: Just reread that and boy am I sounding like an old crotchety complainer! Well, if the truss fits!

A fellow curmudgeon!!! I'll drink to that!
A fellow curmudgeon!!! I'll drink to that!

Alex Smith. People can say his 2011 campaign was the role of a game manager all they want, and yes, he certainly has room for improvement, but I never ni a million years thought he could do some of the things he did last year.
As far as this season goes, it's still early but I look to be wrong about Brandon Jacobs. Wanted nothing to do with him on our team and thought he'd be cut by now after watching him tip-toe around the Giants backfield for the past 3 years.

But until he went down, he'd been looking quicker and more decisive than I ever expected. Hope he comes back and continues to prove me wrong.
i would have to say David Akers. i had no idea he was gonna come in and break the single season 49er scoring record. WOW
i would also have to say Alex 18-4 was it td's to int's, who saw that coming?

actually J.Smith suprised me as well, we ALL knew he was a beast. but that season last year was GOD LIKE.

RMac- obvious reasons

Aldon Smith- obvious reasons

Whitner- played better than i thought he would
Now - don't kill me here, but...Justin Smith.

I knew the guy was a player, but at the time when we signed him I really felt like there were more pressing needs. That coupled with what seemed to be a bit of a stretch on the contract, and I just wasn't entirely enthused with the pick up.

Some years later the man is a bargain-bin MVP caliber player that immediately impacts the overall performance of the defense just by being out there. I couldn't have been more wrong, and I am glad that I was.
Chilo Rachal, but only in the opposite way.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

I knew the guy was a player, but at the time when we signed him I really felt like there were more pressing needs. That coupled with what seemed to be a bit of a stretch on the contract, and I just wasn't entirely enthused with the pick up.

Some years later the man is a bargain-bin MVP caliber player that immediately impacts the overall performance of the defense just by being out there. I couldn't have been more wrong, and I am glad that I was.

Good call. I knew Justin was a solid football warrior even back then. I was, however, rather skeptical that he would put on weight, transition well to 3-4 DE, and successfully beat the crap out of most DL he would face.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

Good call. I knew Justin was a solid football warrior even back then. I was, however, rather skeptical that he would put on weight, transition well to 3-4 DE, and successfully beat the crap out of most DL he would face.

You may have been wrong on Justin but not totally... Remember when Nolan was trying to make him into a OLB... And that lasted all of about one game lol. It's like he was pissed he couldn't sign Adelius Thomas and tried to turn JS into that type of player.
Originally posted by 5280High:
You may have been wrong on Justin but not totally... Remember when Nolan was trying to make him into a OLB... And that lasted all of about one game lol. It's like he was pissed he couldn't sign Adelius Thomas and tried to turn JS into that type of player.
I actually totally forgot about that until just now. I just remember the helicopter ride and wondering how a tough nosed cowboy of a dude could be swayed by a pretty view of the city. LOL - Nolan.
the tolz
Ahmad Brooks - The talent was obvious. So was the stupidity (or so I thought). Didn't believe the kid would pull it together until he did. Kudos to him.
Aldon Smith. I was disappointed at first. I thought he was another Kentwan Balmer.