LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Anthony Dixon vs Rock Cartwright

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cartwright please.

Every time I hear Dixons name, Im thinking
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
For whoever cares, I am not arguing this anymore, people have right to their own opinions, I feel Rock has more value, and Dixon brings nothing of value right now. And I care about what Rock has done, and not what Dixon "could" be. We have Miller at FB, Hunter and James at HB/RB, so Dixon isn't needed anymore. But Just my opinion. I guess I should stick to salary cap work according to some.

no offence ab...but when you come out and say a player is useless and clueless...and all we heard about him all offseason is that he chose to stick around to get better...and he has shown this preseason he has...well i'm sure jim harbaugh would have worse things to say if he heard that.......imo, if miller got hurt, and he plays a position where he easily can...i'd rather have dixon around to step in...than say a free agent off the street or us switching up our whole approach on offense....miller is soooo important in what we do that not properly replacing him in run blocking, pass protection, catching out of the backfield can be costly. i haven't seen cartwright make amzing plays in special teams so far in preseason...and in that punt return for a td, it looked like he was not getting in position for a good angle. anyway no harm feelings.
Cartwright's a pro...Dixon's still learning how to be one. He's had enough chances to really prove he belongs, and in my eyes, just hasn't done it. Rock stays, Dixon goes.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
How about neither makes the team and they use the roster spot on someone who does more than special teams?
Originally posted by DVDA:
How about neither makes the team and they use the roster spot on someone who does more than special teams?

I don't see anyone who does more than Rock. We likely keep 6 WRs anyway, so I don't see a need for a player who isn't as good as Rock to take his place.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

for the millionth time he does more than special teams, he does ah never mind
Cartwright has shown to be a better ST and runner. Dixon has not done as well in pre and TC. He is off the team at preseason's end if not sooner. We have a starting FB and he can be augmented by others.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

for the millionth time he does more than special teams, he does ah never mind

Neither will sniff the field at running back so any ability or lack thereof is useless to argue. Neither would play fullback over Walker, Tukuafu, Sopoaga, or a practice squadder like Reuland. They only bring special teams value which doesn't justify a roster spot since this team already has plenty of high quality special teams players who could also provide depth at positions that are a little thinner than running back.
The Rock will be a nice luxury to have , he gives us better ST play than Dix , and he is better running the ball, and will be great to have around in case any injuries to our RB's go down in one game . Rock can at least hold down the fort until the next week ...Dix can be effective in short yardage situations , CAN being the key word, but he had his chance to prove himself the last 3 seasons , we have too much depth at RB , Dix will be looking for a team very soon , I'm sure he will make some teams roster as a 3rd RB, not every team has the kind of depth we have at RB
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Neither will sniff the field at running back so any ability or lack thereof is useless to argue. Neither would play fullback over Walker, Tukuafu, Sopoaga, or a practice squadder like Reuland. They only bring special teams value which doesn't justify a roster spot since this team already has plenty of high quality special teams players who could also provide depth at positions that are a little thinner than running back.
disagree. on goal line calls you will see jacobs and rock lineup as both have a nose for the goal line, I would like to know the high quality special teams people you speak of. if the year began now, we would have ginn and then maybe kyle as his back up on punt returns. all you have returning kicks is a bunch ofm "potential". rock has proven to be more than respectable in his career in the return game. when i look at the depth chart and when i hear some of the names that are practicing in that area,, i will take a vetern who has been respectable in his career returning kicks then a bunch of maybe potentials. those three guys you said have never played fullback, again rock has . and if you remember we lost a special teams ace in blake who could only do one thing well. they brought rock in here because he is just as good as blake plus can multi task in other areas. rock has a track record of production in the nfl,, i will take that over potential and hope

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Apparently you haven't followed practice or watched any games last year. Tukuafu has spent time at fullback this training camp and Sopoaga was occasionally a short yardage fullback last year. Cartwright and Dixon simply don't have the size to be more than a one game filler at fullback until the team can get a 250 pound body in front of our backs.

Your comment about Rock returning punts was a bad one since he's never returned a single punt in his career, he's only returned kickoffs. A simple google search of "Rock Cartwright stats" would have informed you of that.

Goal line calls will be Jacobs or Gore, no way in hell Harbaugh picks Rock over either of those two.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Apparently you haven't followed practice or watched any games last year. Tukuafu has spent time at fullback this training camp and Sopoaga was occasionally a short yardage fullback last year. Cartwright and Dixon simply don't have the size to be more than a one game filler at fullback until the team can get a 250 pound body in front of our backs.

Your comment about Rock returning punts was a bad one since he's never returned a single punt in his career, he's only returned kickoffs. A simple google search of "Rock Cartwright stats" would have informed you of that.

Goal line calls will be Jacobs or Gore, no way in hell Harbaugh picks Rock over either of those two.
i really did not think i said rock returns punts. I really thought i said right now,, ginn and kyle are punt returners and in the kickoff return game it is ginn and???????.. sorry if i did not make that clear.That is another reason why i think he makes the roster cuz he is a nice back up guy in the kickoff return game. Now next year hopefully james and jenkins takes those spots. i just do not think the kids are ready for that but hell its ok if i am wrong. No i did not watch practice since i live in iowa,, yes I saw games and I think rock can come in and be effective in short yardarge. I know we have gore but I also think rock is a nice option at the goal line. He does have a nose for the end zone. I guess we will just agree to disagree on some things
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
The Rock will be a nice luxury to have , he gives us better ST play than Dix , and he is better running the ball, and will be great to have around in case any injuries to our RB's go down in one game . Rock can at least hold down the fort until the next week ...Dix can be effective in short yardage situations , CAN being the key word, but he had his chance to prove himself the last 3 seasons , we have too much depth at RB , Dix will be looking for a team very soon , I'm sure he will make some teams roster as a 3rd RB, not every team has the kind of depth we have at RB

i know jacobs injury has thrown a wrench into the mix but am hoping or thinking the log jam at running back should get sorted out in the denver game??
For whoever cares, I am not arguing this anymore, people have right to their own opinions, I feel Rock has more value, and Dixon brings nothing of value right now. And I care about what Rock has done, and not what Dixon "could" be. We have Miller at FB, Hunter and James at HB/RB, so Dixon isn't needed anymore. But Just my opinion. I guess I should stick to salary cap work according to some.

my point exactly, Rocks only ability is ST. he will never touch the ball as a RB
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

my point exactly, Rocks only ability is ST. he will never touch the ball as a RB
i think you are wrong and we will just have to wait and see when rock makes the roster like he will,, in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone