There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Dixon vs Rock Cartwright

It doesnt make much sense to me to keep Cartwright over Dixon. Many say Cartwright is this so called "special teams ace," but yet I dont see much upgrade over Dixon on punt coverage. AD is always in on the plays in ST. The run game has holes that I can drive a truck through, so I dont want to hear that Rock is busting through the line running the ball. The ceiling is already set for RC. We know what he has; he will not get much playing time on offense. We could get more and more improvement from AD starting this year. Dixon has shown flashes, none can say he hasnt. And Dixon is what, 6 years younger??? You make the call. No! I make the call, Dixon offers more talent, and ability, and energy to me than Cartwright.

Let me ask: If Jacobs goes down in-season with injury, who do you want as your short-yardage back?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Let me ask: If Jacobs goes down in-season with injury, who do you want as your short-yardage back?

Gore
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Dixon has rallied much like KW has. I would take Dixon over Cartwright because of age, size and familiarity with the scheme. Were talking about who we want as the #4RB for christ sake, we might as well go with the young player if there is barely a different between them in terms of how often we'd use them.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
I want more Dix and less Rock
Originally posted by sfout:
Dixon has rallied much like KW has. I would take Dixon over Cartwright because of age, size and familiarity with the scheme. Were talking about who we want as the #4RB for christ sake, we might as well go with the young player if there is barely a different between them in terms of how often we'd use them.

Here's the thing, they aren't likely to play RB, so ST it is, and Cartwright is superior to Dixon. Plus Rock can return kicks. Rock makes more sense, Dixon is never gonna be more than the 3rd or 4th RB here, and 2nd FB, the future is in James, Hunter and Miller. I rather keep a proven vet over someone who won't be here in a few seasons anyway. I don't think Age, Size has anything to do with this though. Cartwright may be smaller, but he is a STs Ace.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Gore

Ding Ding Ding! Well Of course!
Cartwright is a core special teams player who also could be a depth RB. Dixon hopefully can contribute on special teams. I don't expect either one to get many carries this season.

Gore

what if *knocks on wood because I love the guy* what if Bruce Miller gets injuried?

once again today, Dixon looked good run blocking...he helped Cart out as well.

Gore

I would give Hunter a shot at it as well with how well he runs and keeps his legs churning. But either way it's not like it would be Dixon or Cartwright. And I am not so sure either would be backup FB if Miller got hurt. We'd probably pick someone off the streets or we could go with Sopao, Tukuafu, or HB with Reuland or Dobbs. So when you think about it their value should be who is the better special teams player.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Gore

I would give Hunter a shot at it as well with how well he runs and keeps his legs churning. But either way it's not like it would be Dixon or Cartwright. And I am not so sure either would be backup FB if Miller got hurt. We'd probably pick someone off the streets or we could go with Sopao, Tukuafu, or HB with Reuland or Dobbs. So when you think about it their value should be who is the better special teams player.
have not been watching most of preseason? Dixon has done a very good job run blocking and pass blocking.

he already knows the playbook....why bring in someone else who might not have done well on another team run blocking..well at least not enough to earn a spot...why them in to learn a new playbook and hope it works out?

Like I posted a few pages ago, Miller is so important to our offense....you see him out there alot for a reason. I don't think the coaches would actually think they could replace him with Sopao, Tukuafu, etc on a permanent basis....a defense would catch on to our tendencies imo....with a legit fullback who knows our system, teams won't be tell when we are running or passing. And so far this season, Dixon looks like a legit fullback if we need him to be.
just so some don't think I'm grasping for straws or anything... I personally don't really care if Dixon is brought back...I'd prefer him over Cartwright, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm just happy for him because he seems to have improved when he could've just failed due to pressure.

playing well on National TV, with the Fox guys talking you up....well that will help his cause so he is good either way.

I think he knows that it might be a blessing in disguise if he catches on with a different team. On our team Gore is still running well and Hunter is going to be considered elite imo as soon as he becomes a starter.

when Dixon was in college he was basically his whole team's offense. The fact that this preseason he played on the field, probably more than any of our players as rb, fb, 3rd down back, special teams...shows that he still has stamina to be a starting RB, and his pass blocking abilities would keep him on the field if he did earn a starting role on a team. So yes, if he did get cut...I personally think he could work his way into a starting role on another team. Tom Rathman has been a blessing in his life IMO...we have made him a better overall football player.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
have not been watching most of preseason? Dixon has done a very good job run blocking and pass blocking.

he already knows the playbook....why bring in someone else who might not have done well on another team run blocking..well at least not enough to earn a spot...why them in to learn a new playbook and hope it works out?

Like I posted a few pages ago, Miller is so important to our offense....you see him out there alot for a reason. I don't think the coaches would actually think they could replace him with Sopao, Tukuafu, etc on a permanent basis....a defense would catch on to our tendencies imo....with a legit fullback who knows our system, teams won't be tell when we are running or passing. And so far this season, Dixon looks like a legit fullback if we need him to be.

I've watched all the games twice but that was live so I couldn't slow things down and breakdown anything. From what I have seen of Dixon he has made some good blocks but whiffed on others... You don't think we could go H-back with say Reuland if Miller went down? Tukuafu was in at FB for a number of plays today and Sopoaga has been coming in for years. You may be right though I don't think they are perminent replacements though. As for guys off the street it wouldn't take them that long to learn their job... Dixon just started not too long ago. I guess it depends on what part of the season the injury would happen.

As for Dixon so you don't think I am being biased I actually wanted us to draft him and thought he was a steal in the 6th round. I just wished they would have told him to get quicker and lose 10 pounds to go from 225 to 215 or so instead of gain 10 pounds. His style fits better with being quick than being a pounder. He does too much dancing for a big guy. And I do think if we cut him he will easily make another team and have a chance to be a contributor where here he probably just play ST. And by the way I think it's pretty much a toss up between Cartwright and Dixon... both have their pros and cons. I won't be heartbroken either way.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM ]

Gore

Not inside the 20's always fumbles lol. I take Dixon over cart, I think they offer the same value and dixon has improved, like that run with his helmet getting ripped off, old dixon wouldn't have the fight, an looks like he's knows his ass is on the line..
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]
Both Cartwright and Dixon had good games...and neither made the decision any easier for Harbaugh. Rock showed some solid running skills...as did Anthony. I'm glad I don't have to make the call between them. I was at Mile High, and both guys were impressive today.

Gore

I want our O Line to grow a f..king sack blow some people up.

We miss way too many blocks