LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

**SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DENVER BRONCOS GAMEDAY THREAD (PRESEASON WK 3)**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brock has been really playing bad
I'm looking at that doubled/triple covered throw by Smith to Moss... I think he would like to have that back. It was designed to go deep all the way because they had Vernon stayed in to block affectively doubling -- I assumed Dumervil on the blindside -- with Staley. I think Smith decided to throw to Moss because his pocket clock had ticked down to where he realized he has to throw the ball because the defensive end usually would be there to get him on his blind side. And inside our own 10 yd line, the decision needs to be quick because you know the defense is coming. But in this case, he couldn't see that VD and Staley had man handle Dumervil behind where he was standing.

Had Smith realized he had more time, he would have waited a little longer for Ginn to hit him on a crossing route right where Moss had cleared it out on the right side. And Ginn with his speed made that crossing route in very short time. I think we have the guys for the making of a very good passing offense. Smith needs to trust his line a little more.

Very promising. Our run formation set all that up too. And the throw to Moss affectively made Denver put 1 less guy in the box in the next play, giving Hunter a huge hole to get 9 yards on 2nd &10. Balance offense! Ginn and Moss-- that's a lot of speed on the field there
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM ]
For the following reasons listed in http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08/27/film-review-of-the-first-quarter-in-denver-secondary-struggled/, I must admit I'm concerned

"-Alex Smith might have had Crabtree open but didn't throw it on third down, then got sacked. Smith looked slow through his reads, and also had Randy Moss open on the back side." - This has nothing to do w/ game planning, or hiding the playbook, but rather Smith acting slow and like various times in the past. I'm concerned.

"-Willis McGahee nearly cut Patrick Willis in two on pass protection. That is one area where NaVorro Bowman is better and that's as a blitzer. He missed this game with a leg injury." I feel like I must be wrong here since most people think Willis is doing just fine, but I've noticed a slowness in reaction or tackling in him ever since the end of the 2010 season. I hope I'm wrong.

"-Willis got McGahee back the next play; he took on the guard and then stuffed McGahee." - Definitely made up for the above statement.

"-Not a great game by Larry Grant. He looked lost in coverage a couple times and looked slow reading run." - Was it simply a case of no game planning?

"-Carlos Rogers on the first touchdown pass to Eric Decker bit too hard on his inside fake. He had help inside and didn't need to follow Decker. When Decker cut to the pylon, Rogers was out of position." - I really hope this was a case of game planning, cause I'm concerned that these kind of tendencies can only bite during the regular season.
"-The secondary did not look cohesive. No one seemed to know where their help was. Dashon Goldson looks like he was sleep-walking out there." - same as above
how about this

Jim Harbaugh said after the game that Denver was covering the flat routes. If this was a regular season game, the 49ers would have responded with more vertical routes down the field, like the one Vernon Davis ran for a 44-yard touchdown.

i think alex was given clear instructions not to go vertical the only time he did harbaugh was pissed about the onside kick and then whispered something in his ear the next play was a 44 yard pass
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
how about this

Jim Harbaugh said after the game that Denver was covering the flat routes. If this was a regular season game, the 49ers would have responded with more vertical routes down the field, like the one Vernon Davis ran for a 44-yard touchdown.

i think alex was given clear instructions not to go vertical the only time he did harbaugh was pissed about the onside kick and then whispered something in his ear the next play was a 44 yard pass
i think you are right,. the coach does not want to show anything to anyone in the pre season but maybe he was pissed at fox and opted to unleash the dog and then put him in the doghouse for the rest of pre season! got no problem with that at all. i know some posters wanted the team to air it out but why would we want to do that in pre season? the coach takes no stock in this alleged important third game of pre season, I think 126 has just hit the nail on the head,. good job
how about this

Seriously, who da f*ck called an on-side in the preseason... only the freak'n Broncos wanting to impress their home crowd... or Harbaugh trying to piss off Carroll

Harbaugh did talked it over with Smith near the sideline. You know it's something good when there's a little pat in the a** at the end. Harbaugh mentioning the VD touchdown is his way of saying to the media and the Broncos coach, 'We knew what you were trying to do and we b*tch slapped you with that VD touchdown, and could have b*tch slap you some more. But were smarter than that.'
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM ]
So second half, Broncos pass to Hill, he drops it, my kid say, he is that Jason hill? A few plays later the Broncos target Hill...he drops it, I say "must be"....I know what ever, it made me laugh, and feel good about our wide receiver core this season...

Oh and while I'm here wtf is up with our safeties? They seemed stuck in the middle third of the field all night, like we were testing our corners ability to go 1on1 on the outside...weird, hope that stops in the regular season.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
On the way to football games...life sometimes happens. I hope all of you would take time to honor your grandpa! Mine was an onery old critter but still...

You wanna hear about onery? I found my grandpa when he passed away. He had a heart attack while sitting on the toilet with a big dump in the toilet. No joke. He went out like a BOSS. It was perfectly fitting with his personality too.

"If i die i might as well do it while taking a huge dump!"
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
On the way to football games...life sometimes happens. I hope all of you would take time to honor your grandpa! Mine was an onery old critter but still...

You wanna hear about onery? I found my grandpa when he passed away. He had a heart attack while sitting on the toilet with a big dump in the toilet. No joke. He went out like a BOSS. It was perfectly fitting with his personality too.

"If i die i might as well do it while taking a huge dump!"

So who in the family got the balls to cleanup the mess...
I know it's only preseason but Smitty AND the O-line do not seem like they have improved in regards to the passing game. The best way to describe them is inconsistent. The pass protection is still bad and I'm tired of watching opposing QBs have bigger and cleaner pockets to work with. It doesn't help that Smitty still holds the ball too long and is afraid to throw into tight windows unless the game is on the line. I know most people believe that the passing game will be unleashed once the season starts but...can they really just flip a switch?

Originally posted by Loco49er:
I know it's only preseason but Smitty AND the O-line do not seem like they have improved in regards to the passing game. The best way to describe them is inconsistent. The pass protection is still bad and I'm tired of watching opposing QBs have bigger and cleaner pockets to work with. It doesn't help that Smitty still holds the ball too long and is afraid to throw into tight windows unless the game is on the line. I know most people believe that the passing game will be unleashed once the season starts but...can they really just flip a switch?

Yes they can, because our passing game is mostly off of 'safer' playactions and run formations.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

He was still sitting on the toilet just slumped over, so we picked him up, pulled his pants up and called 911. no clean up on our part just a toilet flush. I assume the paramedics and/or hospital nurses got a nice surprise though.
Originally posted by THEB:

He was still sitting on the toilet just slumped over, so we picked him up, pulled his pants up and called 911. no clean up on our part just a toilet flush. I assume the paramedics and/or hospital nurses got a nice surprise though.

Was not so lucky for me. Though my father didn't pass, I had to do some cleanup when he was sick a couple of years ago.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I'm looking at that doubled/triple covered throw by Smith to Moss... I think he would like to have that back. It was designed to go deep all the way because they had Vernon stayed in to block affectively doubling -- I assumed Dumervil on the blindside -- with Staley. I think Smith decided to throw to Moss because his pocket clock had ticked down to where he realized he has to throw the ball because the defensive end usually would be there to get him on his blind side. And inside our own 10 yd line, the decision needs to be quick because you know the defense is coming. But in this case, he couldn't see that VD and Staley had man handle Dumervil behind where he was standing.

Had Smith realized he had more time, he would have waited a little longer for Ginn to hit him on a crossing route right where Moss had cleared it out on the right side. And Ginn with his speed made that crossing route in very short time. I think we have the guys for the making of a very good passing offense. Smith needs to trust his line a little more.

Very promising. Our run formation set all that up too. And the throw to Moss affectively made Denver put 1 less guy in the box in the next play, giving Hunter a huge hole to get 9 yards on 2nd &10. Balance offense! Ginn and Moss-- that's a lot of speed on the field there

I was at the game and noticed the same play. Ginn would have turned that pass into another 15 yards at least because no one was near him. Smith never should have thrown to Moss because he was being molested by two defensive backs with another on his way, Ginn was left wide open underneath. Hopefully in the regular season we'll see Smith make the right choice in a similar situation.
how about this

Your post makes me feel very good. I think it's 100% accurate as well.
Share 49ersWebzone