LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

**SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DENVER BRONCOS GAMEDAY THREAD (PRESEASON WK 3)**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Moss' presence on that route drew 2 guys and in turn helped get VD alone for the TD. Just his presence alone should help the team this year not even including the targets and catches he will get.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
All of this. The over reactions during pre season/off season is insane. I'll admit I was an over reactor after last years pre season. I thought we'd be a 7-9 team at best and Kaep would be starting by week 4.

I have a feeling, like last season, we'll all look back at our reactions during pre season and giggle a little.

IF I did have ONE or TWO worries from this preseason its:

1) Defense looks a tad slow at times but...no real game prep so that's understandable.

2) Alex is holding the ball a bit longer than I'd like....but I'm willing to attribute that to no game prep as well.

In any case...like you said...we got blown out by the texans last year. These games don't mean s**t. We looked like total bosses in pre season 2006-2010....a whole lot of good that did us.

True and last year we did look horrible in two of the games so I can see why some were a little worried but some went out as far as calling for Baalke and Jim's heads or doubting our future with them. Now that's overrating. As for this year we have looked a lot better in preseason than last and sure the 1st string might be rusty but we should all know that Harbaugh plays his cards close. He isn't like most of the other coaches. The 3rd game isn't a dress rehearsal... we aren't going to practice all of our plays. That's what practice is for I guess... save it for the regular season and catch teams off guard. It was easy to see this when Denver had their 1sts in we were already down to 2s and 3s. Granted we didn't have Bowman, Culliver, Manningham, etc.

Hell, we didn't even look that great opening day last year. Almost blew a 16 point lead and got saved by Teddy Ginn. Then we lost the 2nd game. Barely beat the Bengals...and started getting blown out by the Eagles ("same ol Niners, etc")....yet we end up where we end up.

I think at the end of the day people need to sit back and look at the bigger picture. If we're looking "rusty" vs Packers and/or 2-3 games in...then yes...worry. But for now...sit back and enjoy the tid bits that Harbaugh gives us and be happy with the depth we have.
Hell, we didn't even look that great opening day last year. Almost blew a 16 point lead and got saved by Teddy Ginn. Then we lost the 2nd game. Barely beat the Bengals...and started getting blown out by the Eagles ("same ol Niners, etc")....yet we end up where we end up.

I think at the end of the day people need to sit back and look at the bigger picture. If we're looking "rusty" vs Packers and/or 2-3 games in...then yes...worry. But for now...sit back and enjoy the tid bits that Harbaugh gives us and be happy with the depth we have.

Yeah, we definitely looked rusty to start the season and maybe that was due to us not using the pre-season to it's full advantage and not practicing a good chunk of our plays in games. Maybe it was because of no offseason. Being rusty to start off is a risk you take when you don't show your cards but it probably paid off in the long run. This pre-season has been for evaluating depth for the most part and seeing how those backups rank. We aren't that horrible team who was looking to fill a bunch of starting spots. We didn't need to see what our 1st stringers brought to the table. We just don't need to play the pre-season like regular season games because we know what we get from just about all of our starters.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith to VD-- good for 2-3 TD every game. Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn are all there to make it even that much harder to defend the connection. Moss ain't getting the ball until defense can show they can stop 11 to 85

The downfield shot to Moss...although it didn't connect that play....WILL BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Too bad he had 4 guys on him. I'm not great at math, but there had to be a better option to throw to. I'm convinced that we'll struggle on offense until Kap steps in. Smith is a manager that lacks theconfidence to take real shots down the field and open up the offense. Hopefully that'll be enough for us this year.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Someone tell brooks it's preseason and they're not trying

LB Ahmad Brooks on the 'scary start' for the #49ers first-team defense .... http://t.co/yl3t8zRi

I think we'll be fine once they start game planning and aldon is back.
Originally posted by strickac:
Smith to VD-- good for 2-3 TD every game. Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn are all there to make it even that much harder to defend the connection. Moss ain't getting the ball until defense can show they can stop 11 to 85

The downfield shot to Moss...although it didn't connect that play....WILL BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Too bad he had 4 guys on him. I'm not great at math, but there had to be a better option to throw to. I'm convinced that we'll struggle on offense until Kap steps in. Smith is a manager that lacks theconfidence to take real shots down the field and open up the offense. Hopefully that'll be enough for us this year.

Just going by memory. I think that play may be... may be... an attempt to get more room for a good run on the following play. Because right after that incompletion we suddenly got a lot of space for a huge run.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]

Yeah, we definitely looked rusty to start the season and maybe that was due to us not using the pre-season to it's full advantage and not practicing a good chunk of our plays in games. Maybe it was because of no offseason. Being rusty to start off is a risk you take when you don't show your cards but it probably paid off in the long run. This pre-season has been for evaluating depth for the most part and seeing how those backups rank. We aren't that horrible team who was looking to fill a bunch of starting spots. We didn't need to see what our 1st stringers brought to the table. We just don't need to play the pre-season like regular season games because we know what we get from just about all of our starters.

If I had one major worry it would be that our guys may feel a bit over confident or "entitled?" I'm sure Harbaugh will keep that s**t in check though.
Re-watching the game right now.... anyone think the hit on the previous play where Smith converted a first down to Crabtree, might have affected his center snap fumble. He did took a hard hit with the jump pass.
Our first 3 and out in Green Bay will have people saying:

WTF I THOUGHT WE HAD A MILLION MIRACULOUS SECRET PLAYS WE WERE SAVING FOR THE GAMES THAT COUNTED?!?

Alex looked indecisive today. Won't be long at all before the haters re-emerge if we don't start the season on a tear.

Kaepernick looked improved, that escape to the left and dart to the TE was impressive, but he still overthrew a deep ball (or two?) by 5 yards on a free play.

Tolz looked better than Johnson once again. Two dropped passes were right on the money. We better keep him. All hail.

Why did Alex even throw that? He was in TRIPLE coverage...

Originally posted by defenderDX:

Someone mentioned maybe it was just to back the defense off. Give the defense something to think about although I'm not sure that is a good idea with triple coverage.
THE SKY IS FALLING
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Because it RANDY FU-KIN' MOSS. I'm glad (Alex) took a shot. If Randy caught that....

Someone mentioned maybe it was just to back the defense off. Give the defense something to think about although I'm not sure that is a good idea with triple coverage.

Yeah who knows. He won't make those throws in the regular season. Had to be a particular reason behind it..

Overthrow it and all is well.
Share 49ersWebzone