LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

Preseason Week 1: Thoughts after Re-Watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but I watched the game on Friday night and re-watched the first drive earlier today. I saw the O-line crushing those guys, but they were playing against mostly #2's on the Vikes D-line. Jared Allen and Kevin Williams weren't playing and those guys are clearly difference makers.

I don't think they were throwing their full compliment of LB's in there either.
Why do I have a feeling that Tolzien vs. Kaep will erupt this season?

i heard that the jets have had their eyes on Kaep for a while now
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for dtcomposer.
I do not believe that Randy has lost considerable speed. He ran really good 40 times less than 6 months ago. We have heard about him getting behind the D all camp. Until I see it myself in a real game I am not buying any of it.
Would rather bump this fine thread than the gameday thread...

Fangio confirmed the 52-yard pass that Minnesota quarterback Christian Ponder hit to receiver Stephen Burton was a blown coverage. Cornerback Carlos Rogers was expecting safety help in the middle of the field from Dashon Goldson. "We didn't play the coverage correctly," Fangio said. "We needed to have another person deep and we weren't there. It was a busted coverage."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Defensive-notes-Aldon-Smiths-injury-a-sh?blockID=756179&feedID=5936
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Would rather bump this fine thread than the gameday thread...

Fangio confirmed the 52-yard pass that Minnesota quarterback Christian Ponder hit to receiver Stephen Burton was a blown coverage. Cornerback Carlos Rogers was expecting safety help in the middle of the field from Dashon Goldson. "We didn't play the coverage correctly," Fangio said. "We needed to have another person deep and we weren't there. It was a busted coverage."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Defensive-notes-Aldon-Smiths-injury-a-sh?blockID=756179&feedID=5936

That's what I figured. Carlos was talking with Goldson right after the play.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but I watched the game on Friday night and re-watched the first drive earlier today. I saw the O-line crushing those guys, but they were playing against mostly #2's on the Vikes D-line. Jared Allen and Kevin Williams weren't playing and those guys are clearly difference makers.

...and that's why I qualified the initial statement.

Still....150 yards rushing on 2 drives is pretty impressive no matter who the Vikings had out there.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I do not believe that Randy has lost considerable speed. He ran really good 40 times less than 6 months ago. We have heard about him getting behind the D all camp. Until I see it myself in a real game I am not buying any of it.

OK.

The point is to make an observation based on what I've seen. Feel free to ignore it altogether.

I would love it if he had the speed back, but he looked VERY slow on Sunday.

It is possible he just wasn't going all out. I hope that's the case.
Moss this Moss That
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK.

The point is to make an observation based on what I've seen. Feel free to ignore it altogether.

Yeah, we won't truly know for a while, IMO.

Changing the speed of your routes is a veteran receiver trick. Running slow lazy routes is also something Moss has a reputation for when he knows he isn't a top read on the play.

We just have to wait and see. I don't think we'll learn much from preseason.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Moss this Moss That

Huh?

MossMossMossMossMossMossMoss.
Trust me, if Marvin is saying Moss looked slow it's as objective a statement as anyone on here would make.

And he has the right intentions with his wishes.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Trust me, if Marvin is saying Moss looked slow it's as objective a statement as anyone on here would make.

And he has the right intentions with his wishes.

It's kinda funny to me that peeps get bent outta shape when I'm saying he looked slow but I've yet to see a single person who was at Fanfest refute what I said.

No worries...I still hope I'm wrong.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

I don't usually put too much weight in the preseason wins. I did like the cohesiveness of the OL and the sharpness in general of the players in the offense. Positive signs, that's all they are.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

OK.

Yeah I'm not discounting that what you saw was accurate. I just want to see it for myself because it doesn't match up with most other things I have heard. Though we have heard that he looked slow from a couple different first-hand sources now.
Share 49ersWebzone