LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

Preseason Week 1: Thoughts after Re-Watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I do not believe that Randy has lost considerable speed. He ran really good 40 times less than 6 months ago. We have heard about him getting behind the D all camp. Until I see it myself in a real game I am not buying any of it.

OK.

The point is to make an observation based on what I've seen. Feel free to ignore it altogether.

I would love it if he had the speed back, but he looked VERY slow on Sunday.

It is possible he just wasn't going all out. I hope that's the case.

Yeah I'm not discounting that what you saw was accurate. I just want to see it for myself because it doesn't match up with most other things I have heard. Though we have heard that he looked slow from a couple different first-hand sources now.

The best way I can describe it....I watched video of him going into and out of his breaks when he played for the Titans very briefly. He looked ver similar. It's not just that he didn't look fast, he didn't look "sudden" if that makes any sense.

He's always been a pretty smooth reciever tho so maybe he is just saving himself. I hope so. He did look good in the redzone drills tho.
2) I don't think he played poorly (although his QB rating was 66). It was more of a case of being impressed by Tolzien. I do think Kaep looks really unnatural out there tho and it seems the only time he plays well is when they are running the Pistol. AGAIN tho...not taking a stand here. I could change my mind next week. Just immediate thoughts.

EDIT: Oh...and I think the only QB who would be traded is Kaep. Thats based more on the fact that teams KNOW the Niners would have to get rid of one and they only one who I think generates alot of interest is Kaep (mainly because of age, athleticism, and what teams thought of him pre-draft).

4) As far as I know he didn't run any official time with the 49ers. I think someone (it might have been him) said that he COULD run 4.3, but I don't think anyone has timed him. Moreover, the team would never announce what time he ran. It may be "well documented" that people SAY he hasn't lost any speed, but that CERTAINLY was NOT on display on Sunday at the Fanfest. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong in this regard, but I can only comment on what I've seen.

8) Aquitted doesn't mean he didn't do it. From what I read he got off based mostly on lack of evidense. He could be innocent. He could also be guilty. He's iffy to me because I just don't know and that's a sore subject for me. That ain't cool. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Wasn't he running more of a spread option? because i've seen kaep play in the pistol in Nevada and it didn't look similar to what roman was running against the vikes.

I like what i saw from Kaep, he is certainly improving. I was re-watching the game and was playing it in slow motion and you can see him going through his reads on several plays. This was something that he lacked last preseason.
Another thing....

It's very possible Brett Swain will be serviceable this season. Hopefully we won't have to use him but the way he scored on Friday gives me hope that Smith to WRs will no longer be a problem in SF.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Another thing....

It's very possible Brett Swain will be serviceable this season. Hopefully we won't have to use him but the way he scored on Friday gives me hope that Smith to WRs will no longer be a problem in SF.

You think he's gonna make the 53 roster?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Another thing....

You think he's gonna make the 53 roster?

It would definitely be an upset if he makes it. Not impossible, but he'd have to have serious ST value and beat out Ginn Jr. or Williams.

~ Seriously Doubtful
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
2) I don't think he played poorly (although his QB rating was 66). It was more of a case of being impressed by Tolzien. I do think Kaep looks really unnatural out there tho and it seems the only time he plays well is when they are running the Pistol. AGAIN tho...not taking a stand here. I could change my mind next week. Just immediate thoughts.

EDIT: Oh...and I think the only QB who would be traded is Kaep. Thats based more on the fact that teams KNOW the Niners would have to get rid of one and they only one who I think generates alot of interest is Kaep (mainly because of age, athleticism, and what teams thought of him pre-draft).

4) As far as I know he didn't run any official time with the 49ers. I think someone (it might have been him) said that he COULD run 4.3, but I don't think anyone has timed him. Moreover, the team would never announce what time he ran. It may be "well documented" that people SAY he hasn't lost any speed, but that CERTAINLY was NOT on display on Sunday at the Fanfest. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong in this regard, but I can only comment on what I've seen.

8) Aquitted doesn't mean he didn't do it. From what I read he got off based mostly on lack of evidense. He could be innocent. He could also be guilty. He's iffy to me because I just don't know and that's a sore subject for me. That ain't cool. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Wasn't he running more of a spread option? because i've seen kaep play in the pistol in Nevada and it didn't look similar to what roman was running against the vikes.

I like what i saw from Kaep, he is certainly improving. I was re-watching the game and was playing it in slow motion and you can see him going through his reads on several plays. This was something that he lacked last preseason.

Hrmmm....looked ALOT to me like what he ran at Nevada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTn_icpWVI
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It would definitely be an upset if he makes it. Not impossible, but he'd have to have serious ST value and beat out Ginn Jr. or Williams.

~ Seriously Doubtful

he played on S.T. in the Viking game
Originally posted by 3-BALL:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

~ Seriously Doubtful

he played on S.T. in the Viking game

If he made the team as ST, he would essentially replace Rock Cartwright as the standout ST player. He just doesn't seem big enough to be a major ST contributor.
Great observations. Agree with everything, especially the Kaep/ Tolzien part.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Hrmmm....looked ALOT to me like what he ran at Nevada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTn_icpWVI
Actually, no it doesn't. The formations are different.

BTW, those are some nice highlights. Im looking forward to watching him in play in preseason game #2

Did anyone else notice that Tymms (#9) looked just like a young TO? His routes, size and way he moved reminded me of TO in his first couple years with us. I am not saying he will be great, just looked similar.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Did anyone else notice that Tymms (#9) looked just like a young TO? His routes, size and way he moved reminded me of TO in his first couple years with us. I am not saying he will be great, just looked similar.

I noticed it...similar body language and gait of a 1997 Owens
[ Edited by SaksV on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Marvin, what were your thoughts on our young safeties? In particular, Trent Robinson..?
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

I thought Tyms looked really good. Hoping we can stash him on the practice squad and develop him for sure. Sounds like he didn't get a ton of playing time or passes in college either so they could develop him with the great coaches we have.
Fine points made
Share 49ersWebzone