LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
He did throw a pretty ugly pick too. Let's not forget that.

His arm was hit while throwing. That is just a little bit different than someone throwing a pick because they misread the coverage or threw a bad pass due to bad mechanics.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

His arm was hit while throwing. That is just a little bit different than someone throwing a pick because they misread the coverage or threw a bad pass due to bad mechanics.

Gotta have a feel for the pressure.
First time poster here...

If you didnt think that Tolzien looked better than every qb on the field yesterday then you should rewatch the tape. He was fluid and quick to the line with little hesitation. He also was throwing perfectly timed passes to unknowns. Normally it takes a couple of years to be able to let it fly and have the confidence your WR will be there.

He did the same thing last year as an undrafted rookie against us. Take note now, he is the the best "Prototypical" pocket passer on this roster. Im not saying he is the best QB currently on the roster, but I think he can absolutely be a starter in this league with a little more coaching.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gotta have a feel for the pressure.

True but that is something that can be definitely be developed.
Tolzien = Shaun Hill, Johnson = upside potential
man, i still say we force Tolzien to change numbers to #13.

I mean right now.. #3 reminds me of Cody Pickett.

but #13...now that's a number.. Tim Rattay & Shaun Hill.

he would look even better out there.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
man, i still say we force Tolzien to change numbers to #13.

I mean right now.. #3 reminds me of Cody Pickett.

but #13...now that's a number.. Tim Rattay & Shaun Hill.

he would look even better out there.

I'm going to agree with you here. #3 is just a suck number in general. Football-wise anyway.
I know a lot is being made of strength of competition right now, so i am going to allow a few more games before I declare Tolzien's space one the depth chart for sure... But I will say this, Kaep and J.J. Offer a very similar skill set, wouldn't even those of you who are the most bearish about Tolzien, want to keep a guy who bring something different to the table over a guy like Johnson who by all appearances is Kaep with more experience and lesser physical tools?
Originally posted by kratzer14:
Tolzien = Shaun Hill, Johnson = upside potential

Johnson = ship has sailed on his #2 backup career (was morbidly inconsistent in Tampa when called upon).
Tolzien = upside on #2 backup career (has an NFL-worthy arm, this Shaun Hill stuff is hilarious).

let's not forget he was hit in the arm as he was throwing it

All this stuff about tolziens arm strength is rediculous. He has plenty of arm strength and can make all the throws required of an NFL QB. Hes extremely smart and quick with his reads and progressions. He is a quick decision maker and a student of the game. His biggest knock is his size. He is listed at 6'3" but he is more lucky to be 6'2".

While he always had good pocket awareness in college, allot of times he danced around trying to find passing lanes, and is mechanics looked awkward, or he would sidearm it with a funky release, in order to get the ball through the passing lanes. This was the big knock on Tolzien coming out was his short small build, and the appearance/perception that he wouldnt be able to cope with NFL size OLineman.

If Alex earns the longterm spot, which i think he will, than Tolzien is the exact type of QB you want behind him as the backup. If he fizzles out, than we have Tolzien and Kaep battle it out after one or two years on the bench, or trade one away and keep the other.
Scott was the guy. Johnson has work to do.
Tolzien has a decent amount of untapped potential. Johnson may not ever become anything special. Athletic QB with a big arm but the mental game and details of fundamentals for an NFL QB are problem areas.

I would rather have Tolzien on the roster. He would probably be able to perform much like T.J. Yates did in Houston -- efficiently.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I wonder if it was Harbaugh who wanted to see more of Tolzien or is Johnson performing that bad in TC??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wonder if it was Harbaugh who wanted to see more of Tolzien or is Johnson performing that bad in TC??
I dont think its about JJ having a bad camp. Its about Harbaugh giving the two young kids every opportunity to stick on the roster. JJ was brought in as insurance in case one of the young kids fizzled out. The Kids are having a good camp, give them an opportunity to show it in preseason. We have seen JJ against NFL defenses already.
Share 49ersWebzone