LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Best out of 4 ...

Round 1 goes to Tolzien for looking more like a decent pocket qb.

agree
you two agree???
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Best out of 4 ...

Do you put any stock in the fact that Harbaugh was calling more read-option plays and roll-outs for Kap than Tolzien? Point being, it seemed clear to me that Harbaugh wasn't all that interested in keeping Kap in the pocket and that he was deliberately playing to Colin's strengths.

Agree. One thing Harbaugh does is build up the confidence of his players. From the very short sample last night, Kaep needs more work to be NFL League game ready but in the meantime, he must have some success to keep him interested and motivated. Without that success, you have another Gabbert or Ponder, both of whom struggled and lost their confidence big time last season.

That may the case on a few plays. The ones that he drop back to pass, he either look hesitant at the end of his drop, threw inaccurately or late, or bail out of the pocket, use his legs and turn it into a roll out altogether. It's not a bad thing, just part of his progressive development. But compared to Tolzien he's still look raw in that regard. Kaep hasn't put it all together yet. Tolzien just look a little further along-- pocket calm -- to some extent.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Best out of 4 ...

agree
you two agree???

Not a Smith thread
We know it was just a preseason game, but Tolzien did really well last night. Stood in the pocket, not afraid to take a hit before delivering a good pass. He was smooth.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The real question is Kaepernick vs JJ for 3rd string.

Let us see Scott vs first rounders before we anoint him.
He did throw a pretty ugly pick too. Let's not forget that.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Let us see Scott vs first rounders before we anoint him.

For a backup, I think a few tests facing second-teams would be enough.
  • rserda
  • Veteran
The #3 QB spot should be between Johnson and Kaep. Tolzein should be qb #2
In my mind, I'd be much more confident in Tolzein going going in for Alex in a real game than Kap.

he has real pocket presence and very nice touch on the ball.

He's # 2.

Never been a fan of JJ and he did little to change my mind.
We have to keep Tolzien. He's flashed starting potential, and at the very least he could be used as trade bait down the road.

Did anyone see JJ 1st throw.....Ni**ah threw it like he was skipping rocks......Tolzien 4 sure.....
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Best out of 4 ...

agree
you two agree???

Not a Smith thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Best out of 4 ...

Do you put any stock in the fact that Harbaugh was calling more read-option plays and roll-outs for Kap than Tolzien? Point being, it seemed clear to me that Harbaugh wasn't all that interested in keeping Kap in the pocket and that he was deliberately playing to Colin's strengths.

They were saying during the game that Roman was calling plays according to each QB's strengths.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I'm being a hardass on Scott in his thread but he is a better QB with more potential IMO.

Scott> Josh
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The real question is Kaepernick vs JJ for 3rd string.

This
Share 49ersWebzone