There are 153 users in the forums

Tyms

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by denali22:
Reminds me of taylor mays..

not sure what to think

Taylor Mays, even after playing 4 years at a top university with NFL-caliber coaching, didn't/doesn't have the necessary skills to play his position at a high level (weak in coverage, not a quick-twitch athlete, took bad angles, mediocre ball skills, etc.). Tyms seems to have all of the ideal skills for his position (size, speed, leaping ability, good hands, etc.); he's just really raw and inexperienced. Major difference.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
seems we have too much talent at WR this year. Hope we can hold onto this dude.

Palmer, Owasu and Tyms all seem practice squad worthy. They should just cut KW and keep one of those three on the roster and put the other two on the PS.

Palmer, might not clear waivers, the others should be safe. We don't need Moss, that would clear up some space on the roster.

Stop being so blinded by your Moss hatred man. He is clearly a better choice than any of 3 undrafted rookie WRs.
Tyms looks similar in his style of play to Laurent Robinson. If we keep a receiver on the PS, I'd make it him or Owusu. Palmer is okay, but the wide-open drop was pretty bad..
If LaMichael James and Owusu prove they can handle punt return duties, that might change the fortunes of a few of these UDFA WRs. Not that I have anything against him, but releasing Kyle Williams is a real possibility if LMJ or Owusu step up, and keeping an undrafted free agent like Owusu on the 53 man roster doesn't scare Harbaugh at all (see Dobbs and Ian Williams last year).

2012 WR corps
Crabtree
Manningham
Moss
Jenkins
Ginn - primary PR/KR
Owusu - backup PR/special teams gunner

Palmer - practice squad, first guy up in the event of season-ending injury
Tyms - practice squad; get him ready for 2013

2013 WR corps
Crabtree
Manningham
Jenkins
Owusu
Palmer
Tyms
(other draft picks/free agents)
I just don't understand making roster/ps predictions based on the play of guys for 1 quarter in the 1st preseason game. What's the point? What if Tolzien sucks, JJ looks great, Palmer has 2 td and owusu has a couple drops next game. All seems so premature at this point.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by natrone06:
I just don't understand making roster/ps predictions based on the play of guys for 1 quarter in the 1st preseason game. What's the point? What if Tolzien sucks, JJ looks great, Palmer has 2 td and owusu has a couple drops next game. All seems so premature at this point.

It's a forum, that's what we do here.....speculate. NOTHING we say/write here has any impact in the real world; we're just passing the time....

I'd say that forums tend to be the place for fun predictions and speculation on what will be... but I don't want to sound condescending, so I withdraw this comment altogether.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I'd say that forums tend to be the place for fun predictions and speculation on what will be... but I don't want to sound condescending, so I withdraw this comment altogether.

I should clarify. I do actually understand fun speculation this early in the preseason. I don't understand the amount of definiteness in the statements that goes along with a lot of it.

It's statements like these I just dont get making this early?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we keep a receiver on the PS, I'd make it him or Owusu. Palmer is okay, but the wide-open drop was pretty bad..

All those thinking K-Dub gets cut... Please send me what you're smoking Tyms gives us some good size at the position. I could even see all 3 of these guys making the PS. That's what it is there for... Just depends on whether they want to hold onto guys like purvis or nelms or keep as many lineman on there since our depth there is looking solid.
Originally posted by 5280High:
All those thinking K-Dub gets cut... Please send me what you're smoking Tyms gives us some good size at the position. I could even see all 3 of these guys making the PS. That's what it is there for... Just depends on whether they want to hold onto guys like purvis or nelms or keep as many lineman on there since our depth there is looking solid.

It's just speculation; we can do that here. Btw, you only have so many PS spots so you can't really stash 3 WRs away. Technically you could, but realistically, you need a good mix of positions on your practice squad.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If LaMichael James and Owusu prove they can handle punt return duties, that might change the fortunes of a few of these UDFA WRs. Not that I have anything against him, but releasing Kyle Williams is a real possibility if LMJ or Owusu step up, and keeping an undrafted free agent like Owusu on the 53 man roster doesn't scare Harbaugh at all (see Dobbs and Ian Williams last year).

2012 WR corps
Crabtree
Manningham
Moss
Jenkins
Ginn - primary PR/KR
Owusu - backup PR/special teams gunner

Palmer - practice squad, first guy up in the event of season-ending injury
Tyms - practice squad; get him ready for 2013

2013 WR corps
Crabtree
Manningham
Jenkins
Owusu
Palmer
Tyms
(other draft picks/free agents)

you are forgetting williams. We are keeping him, i promise. I am with you on Owusu though. I love williams, but I would let him go to keep owusu. Dude is my favorite on the niners right now....love his quickness and YAC ability.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
will get cut
will never play a down in a regular season nfl game
will forget by next offseason

this

Tums will never see our final roster
I personally am enjoying this. So much more pleasant to be having this argument as opposed to the merits of Taylor Jacobs, Bryan Gilmore, Dom Zeigler, Ashley Lelie or Jason Hill...
Share 49ersWebzone