LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I thought Leonard Davis looked pretty good out there, showed good awareness and stood his ground.

He absolutely blew up some poor bast*rd on a pull block yesterday, lol. Still don't trust his feet at tackle. He can maul in the run game as a G though.
I have serious concerns that most...if not all of our receivers that we will have to leave off the roster will make it to the practice squad without getting snagged.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I thought Leonard Davis looked pretty good out there, showed good awareness and stood his ground.

He absolutely blew up some poor bast*rd on a pull block yesterday, lol. Still don't trust his feet at tackle. He can maul in the run game as a G though.

Oh no, I'm thinking of Davis strictly as a G, no way would I put him at RT or LT. He was one of the players I wanted to watch last night, if he keeps his play up I'd definitely love to have him on the 53 or 45.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I have serious concerns that most...if not all of our receivers that we will have to leave off the roster will make it to the practice squad without getting snagged.

There are probably a ton of teams that feel the same though. Every team's fans have big eyes for their diamonds in the rough.

Oh no, I'm thinking of Davis strictly as a G, no way would I put him at RT or LT. He was one of the players I wanted to watch last night, if he keeps his play up I'd definitely love to have him on the 53 or 45.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest you did.
There are probably a ton of teams that feel the same though. Every team's fans have big eyes for their diamonds in the rough.

True, but we have not had this number of quality depth players at a position in so long it is more troubling, plus we have an embarrassment of riches at RB that we have too keep on the roster making us have to cut deeper at WR than most.

Agreed. Very happy with both Boone/Davis last night - I want to see Davis with the #1's too! Still not thrilled with Staley in the run game at all (pushed back easily). Davis, another false start...mental but then lays the wood on a TD block. I honestly don't know what the best combination will be but they better figure it out quickly. Solari better be under the microscope himself as we have some clear talent/depth now.

I love Tyms size...one thing we don't have at WR for the WCO is prototypical size and he certainly looks the part. Osuwu looked very good as well and NaPalm was up/down. Nobody wants to talk about Swain but he had a very good night with a TD and helped spring the 2nd TD. All great problems to have. Reuland catches everything as well and sort of looks like Brent Jones out there.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed. Very happy with both Boone/Davis last night - I want to see Davis with the #1's too! Still not thrilled with Staley in the run game at all (pushed back easily). Davis, another false start...mental but then lays the wood on a TD block. I honestly don't know what the best combination will be but they better figure it out quickly. Solari better be under the microscope himself as we have some clear talent/depth now.

I love Tyms size...one thing we don't have at WR for the WCO is prototypical size and he certainly looks the part. Osuwu looked very good as well and NaPalm was up/down. Nobody wants to talk about Swain but he had a very good night with a TD and helped spring the 2nd TD. All great problems to have. Reuland catches everything as well and sort of looks like Brent Jones out there.

Also agree bout the young receivers, Tyms looks like he could be something, we are gonna have some tough decisions to make at WR. Really hope Reuand makes it, seems like hes willing to give up his body to make a play, he showed some heart last night, your right sorta Brent Jones'ish. Kyle Williams surprisingly looked pretty decent too, but we already know what we have in him would like to see either Palmer, Tyms or Owusu over him.
  • dj43

The WR situation is going to be fun to watch. I lay a good bit of the WR success last night on the very poor secondary of the Vikings but it is also clear that the coaches did their job in OTAs and TC to this point. A lot of guys showed well last night. The only disappointment was Jenkins' two drops, and he will overcome that.
Originally posted by dj43:

The WR situation is going to be fun to watch. I lay a good bit of the WR success last night on the very poor secondary of the Vikings but it is also clear that the coaches did their job in OTAs and TC to this point. A lot of guys showed well last night. The only disappointment was Jenkins' two drops, and he will overcome that.

Kolohe, agreed...great position battle to watch but no way Williams doesn't make this team as the slot WR and returner unless he gets into another fight. LOL.

DJ, and oh yeah, there is Jenkins too. Wow. I was actually annoyed to see Swain get so much work b/c I wanted to see Moss/Manningham and all these rookies but even he had a good day.

Last year we had a few HUGE surprises to start the season...such as T. Brown coming out of nowhere to start and push Spencer off the roster. Could we have someone like a Reuland or Tyms making the 53 AND contributing right away?

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
AFTER GAME 1:

Anthony Dixon - Stock Down - Totally agree. His playing fullback is showing he's desperate to make this team some how some way. Dixon just continues to play below his potential. He plays hard, which is why he does well on special teams, but not smart. He just doesn't make good reads with the ball.

Rock Cartwright - Stock the same/slight uptick. He is taking Dixon's job for sure. Hard to imagine us carrying Cartwright, Gore, Jacobs, James, and Hunter. Five backs? To be honest the temptation for me would be to cut James. Too bad James can't be hidden on the practice squad. Cartwright might become a luxury.

Eric Bakhtiari - Stock Up - Stock was way up. He wasn't playing top tier guys but he sure got to the passer very well and had a high motor at OLB. Can he cover?

Demarcus Dobbs - Stock Up - Wearing#40 tells me this guys roster spot is a lock. I think we have plans for him on offense.

Perrish Cox - Stock the same -He stood out because he picked the ball off and he made some good hits. Looks like he'll make the team.

WRs -
Owusu -Stock up. This guys is making a case not to be cut. It's hard to imagine him making the team though. Who do you cut? Moss Crabs Williams Ginn and Jenkins should make the team. I think Owusu is probably 6 right now. You can probably hide others on the PS.

AJ Jenkins - I was impressed enough and will be patient with a 1st round pick. He ran good routes. Had a late ball from Kaep. Made a nice catch. He'll settle down. I actually like Owusu better right now though.

All other wideouts=stock down. Somebody has to be cut and though they looked nice but nobody made a case to bump Jenkins. Which is what you have to do based on what I saw from Owusu. I think we keep 6 May the best 6 win. Hopefully we have some depth on the PS.

Scott Tolzien - Stock Up - I trust this guy to run the O. He deserves to be on the team. He flashes some serious potential. No way we keep Kaep and Johnson. People forget that Smith ain't bad on his feet either. Johnson is probably on the outs right now.

Colin Kaepernick - Stock the same. -Great run but he has not shown he deserves to be the #1. I'm also not convinced he's the #2. But I'd rather sharpen his skills than Johnson at this point.

LaMichael James - Stock down. -Does he really do anything that Hunter Can't?

.Konrad Reuland - Stock Up - Mostly because Byham didn't play because of his injury. We have lots of extra blockers but Reuland provides a pass catching threat. Can he play FB? We go with three TEs.

Brandon Jacobs - Stock Up - Old self? He has never looked like he was in this kind of shape. He is complicating the backfield more than anyone. Can we keep 5 RBs?

Alex Boone - Stock Up - Love this guy. Totally biased. I'm only seeing good.

Leonard Davis.-Stock up. ?? Can this guy play tackle? I mean if he can play two positions he's great depth.

KENDALL HUNTER!! STOCK UP!! Great game. Looks good. Looked like a starter.

ALEX SMITH-stock up. Looked great on the opening drive. Was sharp, made a great decision and read in the redzone which made the throw secondary.

KYLE WILLIAMS-STOCK UP. Loved that he started at PR. He looked good back there and confident. He also played well at wideout. I know he had a bad day @ the NFC-C but he is going to make this team.
Couple comments.

1. I think you're forgetting about Manningham. Don't really see a spot for any of the UDFA WR's on the 53. Hopefully 2 of Palmer, Tynes, and Owusu can make it onto the practice squad.

2. Keeping 5 backs isn't unheard of. Last year we kept 5. No way we cut James. There is just no way. Given how much we run the ball, I don't think it's unreasonable. I think it comes down to Dixon and Cartwright for the final RB spot. Both are great special teams players but it comes down to how well they can run the ball. Based on where they entered the game, I think Cartwright has the clear edge at this point.
You are absolutely correct. I totally forgot manningham. He makes it hard for any of the young noobs at wideout. That's going to be a tough call and we're going to loose a good wideout after waivers.

At HB we had Gore, Hunter, Dixon, and who else? I wasn't counting Miller. He makes four and then Norris was five. My assumption at this point is that Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, Cartwright, and James are all competing. Miller is a lock. So that would be 6 backs. Either way that is one more than last year right? Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Miller, and Cartwright/Dixon? is 6 backs is a lot on a 53 man roster.

Cut James? Are you crazy? Yes cut the 60th overall pick after 3 carries in the preseason.....

Dobbs' versatility frees up a 6 spot at wr. So by subtracting 1 full time te were set wr. Then if you think about we carried 5 ilbs last season, this season were carrying 4 so theoretically we can simply make Cartwright the new costanzo. Jacobs will take Dixon's spot. James will take Norris' old spot. I know it's more complex then that because I haven't mentioned the whole roster but the challenge isn't carrying 6 rb/fbs and 6 wrs, the challenge will be figuring out who will be active on gamedays.

It does seem crazy. I don't think anyone suggested cutting James. I sure didn't. If 6 backs are kept it's down to cartwright/dixon. But the numbers are going to be tight. How does dobbs free up a wideout? You are right about the challenge. But really it is about 6 backs/6wideouts. Because that costs you depth at big man positions. I think we will keep three actual tight ends. Dobbs can get out and block but he won't be a receiving threat if Davis or Walker get hurt.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Here's a quick 53 man mock, based only off of one game. We can make it work if we don't carry 3 TE's and use Dobbs as the 3rd one. Definitely some tough decisions, but having this much talent is a very very good thing. I could also see us going with only 8 OL to free up a spot for another player.

QB: Smith, Kap, Tolzein
RB/FB: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Miller, Cartwright
WR: Crabs, Moss, 'Rio, Ginn, Jenkins, Williams
OT: Staley, AD, Person
G/C: Boone, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, L Davis, Looney
TE: VD, Walker

DE: Smith, McDonald, Tukuafu, Dobbs (also 3rd TE)
NT: Sopoaga, RJF, Williams
OLB: Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Bakhtiari
ILB: Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock
S: Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings

I like your list. Two things jump out at me. 1) We will likely keep three TEs. Unless we can hide the Garbage man on the practice squad. I don't think we can. 2) I love Jennings. But maybe we should be looking to get more bang for the buck on the long snapper.
I like your list. Two things jump out at me. 1) We will likely keep three TEs. Unless we can hide the Garbage man on the practice squad. I don't think we can. 2) I love Jennings. But maybe we should be looking to get more bang for the buck on the long snapper.

I think the 3rd TE is Dobbs, and Jennings is a Niner for Life, I would be super pissed if the team felt we needed someone who is a position player playing as LS, Jennings is one of the best, if not the best LS in the game.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I think the 3rd TE is Dobbs, and Jennings is a Niner for Life, I would be super pissed if the team felt we needed someone who is a position player playing as LS, Jennings is one of the best, if not the best LS in the game.

I know how you feel about Jennings. We brought in some competition this year. He is getting older though. BUt that probably isn't happening. I'm still not sure we only keep two TEs. Maybe. It's real risky though.
Originally posted by JBrack:
Nice post , but I would like to see the good and bad seperated. Not just all ran together in one paragraph.

I was just going through based off memory and the players that stood out to me but that's a good idea. I'll organize it and then do that for the rest of the games.
Share 49ersWebzone