Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by VA49er:
AFTER GAME 1:
Anthony Dixon - Stock Down - Totally agree. His playing fullback is showing he's desperate to make this team some how some way. Dixon just continues to play below his potential. He plays hard, which is why he does well on special teams, but not smart. He just doesn't make good reads with the ball.
Rock Cartwright - Stock the same/slight uptick. He is taking Dixon's job for sure. Hard to imagine us carrying Cartwright, Gore, Jacobs, James, and Hunter. Five backs? To be honest the temptation for me would be to cut James. Too bad James can't be hidden on the practice squad. Cartwright might become a luxury.
Eric Bakhtiari - Stock Up - Stock was way up. He wasn't playing top tier guys but he sure got to the passer very well and had a high motor at OLB. Can he cover?
Demarcus Dobbs - Stock Up - Wearing#40 tells me this guys roster spot is a lock. I think we have plans for him on offense.
Perrish Cox - Stock the same -He stood out because he picked the ball off and he made some good hits. Looks like he'll make the team.
WRs -
Owusu -Stock up. This guys is making a case not to be cut. It's hard to imagine him making the team though. Who do you cut? Moss Crabs Williams Ginn and Jenkins should make the team. I think Owusu is probably 6 right now. You can probably hide others on the PS.
AJ Jenkins - I was impressed enough and will be patient with a 1st round pick. He ran good routes. Had a late ball from Kaep. Made a nice catch. He'll settle down. I actually like Owusu better right now though.
All other wideouts=stock down. Somebody has to be cut and though they looked nice but nobody made a case to bump Jenkins. Which is what you have to do based on what I saw from Owusu. I think we keep 6 May the best 6 win. Hopefully we have some depth on the PS.
Scott Tolzien - Stock Up - I trust this guy to run the O. He deserves to be on the team. He flashes some serious potential. No way we keep Kaep and Johnson. People forget that Smith ain't bad on his feet either. Johnson is probably on the outs right now.
Colin Kaepernick - Stock the same. -Great run but he has not shown he deserves to be the #1. I'm also not convinced he's the #2. But I'd rather sharpen his skills than Johnson at this point.
LaMichael James - Stock down. -Does he really do anything that Hunter Can't?
.Konrad Reuland - Stock Up - Mostly because Byham didn't play because of his injury. We have lots of extra blockers but Reuland provides a pass catching threat. Can he play FB? We go with three TEs.
Brandon Jacobs - Stock Up - Old self? He has never looked like he was in this kind of shape. He is complicating the backfield more than anyone. Can we keep 5 RBs?
Alex Boone - Stock Up - Love this guy. Totally biased. I'm only seeing good.
Leonard Davis.-Stock up. ?? Can this guy play tackle? I mean if he can play two positions he's great depth.
KENDALL HUNTER!! STOCK UP!! Great game. Looks good. Looked like a starter.
ALEX SMITH-stock up. Looked great on the opening drive. Was sharp, made a great decision and read in the redzone which made the throw secondary.
KYLE WILLIAMS-STOCK UP. Loved that he started at PR. He looked good back there and confident. He also played well at wideout. I know he had a bad day @ the NFC-C but he is going to make this team.
Couple comments.
1. I think you're forgetting about Manningham. Don't really see a spot for any of the UDFA WR's on the 53. Hopefully 2 of Palmer, Tynes, and Owusu can make it onto the practice squad.
2. Keeping 5 backs isn't unheard of. Last year we kept 5. No way we cut James. There is just no way. Given how much we run the ball, I don't think it's unreasonable. I think it comes down to Dixon and Cartwright for the final RB spot. Both are great special teams players but it comes down to how well they can run the ball. Based on where they entered the game, I think Cartwright has the clear edge at this point.
You are absolutely correct. I totally forgot manningham. He makes it hard for any of the young noobs at wideout. That's going to be a tough call and we're going to loose a good wideout after waivers.
At HB we had Gore, Hunter, Dixon, and who else? I wasn't counting Miller. He makes four and then Norris was five. My assumption at this point is that Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, Cartwright, and James are all competing. Miller is a lock. So that would be 6 backs. Either way that is one more than last year right? Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Miller, and Cartwright/Dixon? is 6 backs is a lot on a 53 man roster.