There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Originally posted by Wodwo:
I watched Williams a bit. He looked good... improved from last season. Nothing amazing, but he did some good things against the Vikings scrubs.

He blew up the center pretty good on one play. He just doesn't have any closing speed to finish. Still good for disrupting the play, though.

High hopes for the kid.

Thanks, I'm not sure if he is starter material but for now he should be able to make it as a 3rd backup and could move to 2nd next year if we don't re-sign RJF or Sopoaga. Either way he looks in better shape and is a better player than last year already.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I also remember feeling good about Williams' play while watching live...

I like agreeing.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Thanks, I'm not sure if he is starter material but for now he should be able to make it as a 3rd backup and could move to 2nd next year if we don't re-sign RJF or Sopoaga. Either way he looks in better shape and is a better player than last year already.

Welcome!

I agree with you. I like it.

I think if we don't retain Sopoaga, we will need to bring in some more talent, though. Draft or FA....

NT isn't really the strength of this defense, though. It's still important, but I think it's over valued by some because of other 3-4 systems.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I like agreeing.

It's nice discussing in pre-season who our best UDFA receiver is and how good our backup DL looks and not should Cody Pickett or Ken Dorsey be the starter for week 1. For all of us that suffered for so long we are being rewarded. God... the blood, sweat, tears and broken items over the years. In the dark era ages i didn't expect anything because we didn't have the talent but from the 05-10 era it was so frustrating watching because I knew what we were capable of and we rarely achieved it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I also remember feeling good about Williams' play while watching live...

I like agreeing.

You don't know what you're talking about. You don't know football. Booooo!!!!



gotta keep balance.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I like agreeing.

It's nice discussing in pre-season who our best UDFA receiver is and how good our backup DL looks and not should Cody Pickett or Ken Dorsey be the starter for week 1. For all of us that suffered for so long we are being rewarded. God... the blood, sweat, tears and broken items over the years. In the dark era ages i didn't expect anything because we didn't have the talent but from the 05-10 era it was so frustrating watching because I knew what we were capable of and we rarely achieved it.

I love Jim Harbaugh.

On a serious note, though.... Be careful that you don't have over inflated expectations. This is still the NFL and anything can happen.

That said... THIS IS SO MUCH MORE FUN!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I also remember feeling good about Williams' play while watching live...

I like agreeing.

You don't know what you're talking about. You don't know football. Booooo!!!!



gotta keep balance.

I agree with you.

Skepticism, FTW!
Anthony Dixon - Stock Down...he will be released and gain a spot on another team.

Scott Tolzien - Stock Up...he passes the eye test of what a solid backup QB should look like.

49ers' Coaching Staff - Stock Up...with all the stupid media analysts saying we were joining the rest of the league in using more spread formation and "changing what got us here". We're sticking to our same offensive philosophy, WE JUST GOT BETTER PLAYERS.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I love Jim Harbaugh.

On a serious note, though.... Be careful that you don't have over inflated expectations. This is still the NFL and anything can happen.

That said... THIS IS SO MUCH MORE FUN!

Yeah, I hear you. We have to do it all over again and nobody is going to under estimate us again. We have things to work out if we want to do as well as last year but overall we look to have a bright future. Knock on wood we stay healthy.

Anyways, if anyone wants to add more stock up or down (or flat) go for it as you watch/re-watch the game. I'll keep this going and add in my thoughts after each game about certain player's thoughts and anybody else that wants to can add in their own. Next week will be much tougher and we are on the road.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
I think Owusu may have increased his stock. He looks really fluid and natural catching passes and running after. I thought he looked the best of the WRs. Not that there was a lot to look at.
Excellent post and comments.

I'm a real ABoone fan and was very happy he performed so well.

Also have been a fa of Tolzein. I don't know if he played better than Kap & JJ BUT he looked better. More pocket presence and poise. I hope he gets a lot more playing time in upcoming games to get a better opinion.

I like ADixon but it's time to say goodbye.

Miler has really made noticeable improvements.

I also want to see a lot more of Dobbs, Tofufu & Jacobs.

As a team, I see improvement everywhere. man - we have an excellent coaching staff.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I think Owusu may have increased his stock. He looks really fluid and natural catching passes and running after. I thought he looked the best of the WRs. Not that there was a lot to look at.

I liked Jenkins debut. He's got a ways to go but nice hands. Palmer also seems talented except for the hands of stone on the one pass...call it 1st game jitters.My real hope through the preseason is I want Williams to show me he is our return man. Would like to keep a good young receiver and let Ginn go if possible.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
I liked Jenkins debut. He's got a ways to go but nice hands. Palmer also seems talented except for the hands of stone on the one pass...call it 1st game jitters.My real hope through the preseason is I want Williams to show me he is our return man. Would like to keep a good young receiver and let Ginn go if possible.

Just watched that Kyle return where he tried to leap over the defender... THAT was impressive. He nearly cleared him, had the dude not gotten back up as quickly as he did. Kyle is crazy, but IF he can develop glue-hands? He could be crazy-good.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
I liked Jenkins debut. He's got a ways to go but nice hands. Palmer also seems talented except for the hands of stone on the one pass...call it 1st game jitters.My real hope through the preseason is I want Williams to show me he is our return man. Would like to keep a good young receiver and let Ginn go if possible.

Yeah, Jenkins did a nice job snatching his two catches out of the air but had the 2 drops. His snatches were Crabtree esque in the way he plucked the ball out of the air. As for Williams and Ginn I think that's our biggest dilemma. We know what Ginn brings as a WR and I would much rather have one of those UDFAs (for the future) because I think they will get snatched up. However, if you take into Ginn's return ability and even as much potential as Williams shows at returning Ginn is still a notch better. If he wasn't one of the better return men in the league our decision would be so much easier. For now though I think we roll the dice... Ginn and Williams make it and try to get 2 of those 3 UDFAs on the PS. Maybe if Ginn doesn't want to re-sign with us after this year Williams gets full duties (maybe along with James, etc) and one of those guys if still on our PS makes the team next year.

Edit: Oldman, can you go in slow mo... did Kyle even have to leave his feet? I though he could have juked or something and maybe got a TD but I didn't get the best look. And yeah, Kyle has been running crazy out there since his boneheaded play in the NFCCG.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Edit: Oldman, can you go in slow mo... did Kyle even have to leave his feet? I though he could have juked or something and maybe got a TD but I didn't get the best look. And yeah, Kyle has been running crazy out there since his boneheaded play in the NFCCG.

Well.. Kendall Hunter got thrown down just as Kyle was deciding where to cut. I think the presence of Hunter's "carcass" made Kyle decide to jump to avoid stumbling over Hunter. Hunter's helmet was basically touching the left foot of Kyle's. So had Hunter not been there at his feet? I'd say Kyle should certainly not have jumped and simply cut right or stay straight left of the LB # 51. Kyle's a wild child, to be sure... but I have a hard time blaming him for doing what he did there.