LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

How will the Niners win at GB in game one?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I got a feeling GB is not going to be as dominate as people may think this year.
Green Bay better find a way to protect Jake Gyllenhall because after seeing that left tackle being abused by a nobody last night, I suspect Brokeback Quarterback to be running for his life.
That was encouraging to see. GB's line is going to have trouble protecting Rodgers and that is a fact. None of this is new for the zone but seeing that game last night only solidified my opinion of of them. The right side is strong. The left side is just flat out terrible. Their running game is an absolute joke. They average around 50 yards per game. We wont even have to work at making them one dimensional! They'll do it for us! GO NINERS!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Our primary edge in this matchup is we can get a quality pass rush with just our front 4 and that's the fatal flaw for teams like New England and Green Bay that are just passing machines.

As an added bonus we're got the best run stuffing front in the league so it's going to be Nickel and Dime defense the entire game and with Cox on board having a great training camp and by all accounts Culliver and Brown taking their play up a notch as well we have pretty good secondary depth to make the lives of Aaron Rodgers' targets miserable.

Offensively I think this is where them being our week 1 opponent works in our favor because this gives the coaches plenty of time to watch film and come up with a game plan filled with various formations and personnel groups while their defense won't have too much they can go off of film wise considering all the offensive additions we made this offseason.

Not sure if it was here I said it but all our offensive offseason acquisitions were for the sole purpose for Harbaugh and co. to have a variety of ways to expose and capitalize a defense's weaknesses. Defense is weak against power? We thrown a heavy does of jumbo package with Gore and Jacobs and have guys like VD be our primary targets. Defense is weak against speed? We throw in Hunter and James and we hit them with quick guys like Moss, Ginn, Jenkins.

So I think that will come to play against Green Bay and I think our offense is going to surprise some people this season.
Nicely stated! Good points all.

Plus Hunter and James can run off tackle as well. I could see a jumbo package with an unbalanced line--Goodwin at C with L Davis at RG, AD at RT, Boone shifted over to the right side from LT, and VD to the right, Takuafu or Soap at FB, and the smallest RB, James behind them all, then a run off tackle that he breaks for a big gain!

Let's see how their pretty boy OLB, Clay Mathews, deals with THAT coming at him!

Good posts! I agree with the 9ers ability to trot out various lineups to confuse GB. Would love to see the jumbo set you mention, oldninerdude, and then have the speedy James run left...outrun their attempt to adjust--perhaps A Smith leading with a block...maybe not the latter!
A lot of interesting viewpoints.....it can definitely go either way depending on how you look at it!!!

A few things:

a) Fundamentally as 49er fans, there is this mental hurdle about beating the Packers, and that needs no explanation. For our last win in Wisconsin to be with Montana is f'n ridiculous!

BTW, I took our Jets victory in '08 against Favre as a "Packers" victory, and our loss to the Vikings in '09 as a "Packers" loss.

b) I honestly, 110% believe that if early season games favor offenses, then that maybe the only bright spot for Green Bay.

However, at the same time that should favor our offense too, which would be going up against a defense that is not terrific.At some point in the game whether it's the beginning, middle or end, our defense WILL SHOW UP. The NFCC could have been ugly if it they didn't show up in the 2nd half.

c) If you saw in the Sirius thread, our CBs have stated they feel Aldon's effectiveness will be just as good or better this season, particularly against pass happy teams who already force the 49ers into 3rd down schemes on earlier downs (and then there's the option of rotating Parys in there anyways). Imagine seeing Aldon on a lot more PASSING snaps than before? Could happen, game 1.

d) I recall the Packers giving up a TONNNN of rushing yards to the Bears on Christmas Day, against that backup QB too....on their home turf. Maybe it was a sleeper game for them, but they can be run on a lot more than some of the other teams we face can.

e) Finally - do you guys really think they were shocked against the Giants the way we were against the Vikings in '87 playoffs?? The Giants I consider to be the top NFC threat this season. Packers lost to the Giants pretty bad and would have been worse if the refs didn't help them.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I got a feeling GB is not going to be as dominate as people may think this year.

Agreed. Just as everyone is saying that the 49ers will come down to earth in areas like turnovers, I think the Packers' offense will come down to earth in the same way. Their stats last year came at the expense of mostly lowsy defenses. The Giants made them look awful. I think the 49ers defense wins the battle in a way many don't expect. Then 49ers offense/Special teams do just enough to win - a few big gains by the like of L. James and Vernon Davis to get points on the board. Offense struggles, even against a poor defense.
Originally posted by mkeniner:
Agreed. Just as everyone is saying that the 49ers will come down to earth in areas like turnovers, I think the Packers' offense will come down to earth in the same way. Their stats last year came at the expense of mostly lowsy defenses. The Giants made them look awful. I think the 49ers defense wins the battle in a way many don't expect. Then 49ers offense/Special teams do just enough to win - a few big gains by the like of L. James and Vernon Davis to get points on the board. Offense struggles, even against a poor defense.

Sounds pretty good.

If the offense struggles I'm assuming that is because we need time to gel, which would override the advantages of gameplanning/surprises.

Will be interesting. If this was a week 10 game, I'd have SF all over it with serious $$$!!!!
Agreed, totally reasonable to expect them to need time to gel. I want to be excited about the offense, it's seems like all the pieces are in place. But I guess I have to see it first to believe it.
As cliche' as it sounds, this game will be won or lost in the trenches. The front four in our nickle package will have to bring it. The O-line will have to dominate in the run game.

There is no doubt in my mind Justin, Aldon, RayMac and Brooks are ready to go. I expect a monster game from all of them.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
As cliche' as it sounds, this game will be won or lost in the trenches. The front four in our nickle package will have to bring it. The O-line will have to dominate in the run game.

There is no doubt in my mind Justin, Aldon, RayMac and Brooks are ready to go. I expect a monster game from all of them.

Football is won and lost in the trenches, but this matchup pits two of the best teams in the league against each other. Usually in these contests, it comes down to a few big plays that determine the game. Our defense could hold stout all game, but one big gash and it could spell doom. And vice-versa.

Most people on this board have the Niners winning. Unfortunately, I find it hard to believe. I honestly cannot remember a single time winning there (in 1990 I was 5). If we are to win, there will have to be some extraordinary circumstance that will tilt the game in our direction. I do believe our D can hold them to 28 or under, but in order to win, we'd have to surpass 28, which only happened a few times last year.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Football is won and lost in the trenches, but this matchup pits two of the best teams in the league against each other. Usually in these contests, it comes down to a few big plays that determine the game. Our defense could hold stout all game, but one big gash and it could spell doom. And vice-versa.

Most people on this board have the Niners winning. Unfortunately, I find it hard to believe. I honestly cannot remember a single time winning there (in 1990 I was 5). If we are to win, there will have to be some extraordinary circumstance that will tilt the game in our direction. I do believe our D can hold them to 28 or under, but in order to win, we'd have to surpass 28, which only happened a few times last year.

I appreciate the knowledge, but I'm just not sure what our past record or ability to score has to do with this years team? Remember what our road record was prior to this year? Times are achanging.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I appreciate the knowledge, but I'm just not sure what our past record or ability to score has to do with this years team? Remember what our road record was prior to this year? Times are achanging.

+ 1 to this. I don't think any of these guys will be intimidated by some trend of the past.
Also, if you guys want to keep underrating/sh*** on the Giants, they beat the Packers twice in the playoffs at Lambeau.

But all of a sudden we're entitled to kick their asses every time we play them (Giants)?

The Giants btw beat the modern Packers.....not the '90s Favre era packers, and oh yeah...as some of you brilliantly pointed out, HOLMGREN cost us some super bowls from across the sidelines. Luckily he'll be in Cleveland next month.

Not scared!
We are a better team than the packers, plain and simple, they might have a better overall offense, but the left side of their line is s**t and the defense is soft. You guys that think that the Packers are better are just plain crazy. If they cannot protect douchenozzle, then they become a very beatable team, and I saw some nobody from the chargers dominating the left tackle of the packers. I wonder how that guys is gonna try and cope with Cowboy and/or 99 problems?
They will move the ball relatively easily on us through the air, but we'll force them to be one-dimensional. With so many attempts and the pass rush, we should be able to force some turnover opportunities. Capitalizing on those opportunities will lead to victory. See: Playoff games versus Saints and Giants.
Share 49ersWebzone