LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by kush:
Um, no. Rice, Taylor and Owens. I am very happy with Crabtrees development, but you just cannot put him in the same category.

Years 1-3 Stats:

John Taylor: 83 receptions 1553 yards 12 touchdowns
Terrell Owens: 162 receptions 2547 yards 26 touchdowns
Michael Crabtree: 175 receptions 2240 yards 12 touchdowns

Good God people, do I really have to explain those stats?

Who was playing alongside Crabtree for those three years? Answer? Well, nobody.

And who was playing alongside JT and TO for their first three years?

Yes, him.

Meaningless stats are meaningless.

Cool your jets, all I did was post stats. I didn't even give my own interpretation, I was just interested in seeing what others thought.

And there are tons of different ways to look at stats. You don't think playing with Jerry helped those guys? Or playing with Montana/Young? Get real. Unless you have everything figured out, in that case let us know so we can stop wasting our time having opinions.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Who was playing alongside Crabtree for those three years? Answer? Vernon Davis.

Fixed.

Are you serious?

No, not really. Mostly ribbing.

I agree with you to a point. It's a bit more complicated than you're making it, though.

Who was throwing to Rice, Taylor, and Owens? Who was coaching Rice, Taylor, and Owens?

Also, Crabtree has been limited by his holdout (his own fault) and injuries (not really his fault, IMO). He might have better numbers up to this point otherwise.

Do I think he will ever come anywhere close to Jerry Rice? No.

Could he end up as good as any other WR to play for the 49ers? I'm not ruling it out.

Let's see how he looks the rest of this season before we make final judgements, eh?

Let's be clear, I am not knocking Crab. And I am hoping he will be good. I just don't see him climbing to the dizzy heights of the elite. JR, JT and TO.
Lets remember that Crabs was stuck in the Singletary & Jimmy Raye offense, when he first came into the league.......run, run, run, punt

I dont see why people knock him for not having elitz statz, when our offense as a whole was....

Now, crabs has actual coaches that can develope players. So, lets wait and see if he can now take the next step
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Let's be clear, I am not knocking Crab. And I am hoping he will be good. I just don't see him climbing to the dizzy heights of the elite. JR, JT and TO.

It would be hard to argue that Taylor was elite to anyone except a 49er fan.

I don't know if Crabtree can be as good as T.O. was. Like I said, I'm gonna wait until after this season to make a judgement.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think it's been proven that this team has some "late bloomers".
I don't understand why you guys argue so much

Um, no. Rice, Taylor and Owens. I am very happy with Crabtrees development, but you just cannot put him in the same category.

Years 1-3 Stats:

John Taylor: 83 receptions 1553 yards 12 touchdowns
Terrell Owens: 162 receptions 2547 yards 26 touchdowns
Michael Crabtree: 175 receptions 2240 yards 12 touchdowns

Good God people, do I really have to explain those stats?

Who was playing alongside Crabtree for those three years? Answer? Well, nobody.

And who was playing alongside JT and TO for their first three years?

Yes, him.

Meaningless stats are meaningless.

Cool your jets, all I did was post stats. I didn't even give my own interpretation, I was just interested in seeing what others thought.

And there are tons of different ways to look at stats. You don't think playing with Jerry helped those guys? Or playing with Montana/Young? Get real. Unless you have everything figured out, in that case let us know so we can stop wasting our time having opinions.

Meaningless stats remain meaningless.
He's finally connecting with Smith, something we definitely haven't seen over the past 3 years. -There was a time where this guy's lack of route-timing led to a lot of deflected balls (many turned interception) off of throws Smith generally threw well. -But then again a lot that could be accredited to our horrible coaching staffs under Singletary (we had the worst WR coach and OC in the league those years).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Crabtree still hasn't had the 'defining breakout game' or whatever.

he has been relatively consistent around 70 yards or so per game.
MVP from Sundays win over Det
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Agree. This is why he got and deserved the game ball in the locker room after the game.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Agree. This is why he got and deserved the game ball in the locker room after the game.

its a good year for him b/c alot of pressure is being taken off him with Manningham and Moss being here
Originally posted by Garcia:
Crabtree still hasn't had the 'defining breakout game' or whatever.

he has been relatively consistent around 70 yards or so per game.

I'll take it like that.. My friend is a cowboys fan and he says stuff like "crabtree's season stats look like a stat line for Miles Austin for a game" and stuff like that. But I'm perfectly fine with how we are using him. 65-90 yards per game.. about 6-9 catches.. I will be thrilled.

Think 70 yards per game.. 16 games.. off the top of my head I think thats like 1,100+ (could be wrong) but either way, its a solid year if he keeps it up
I started him in Fantasy football this week,my entire team is 49ers players, Cam Newton sits on my bench behind Alex, even have Akers and the 49ers D, don't give a s**t lol
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
I started him in Fantasy football this week,my entire team is 49ers players, Cam Newton sits on my bench behind Alex, even have Akers and the 49ers D, don't give a s**t lol

good call on sitting newton
Crabtree had a game that I have been waiting for--last week! Several first downs when needed getting YAC. Knowing where the first down marker was and getting there is not something the SF receivers have been adept at in the past, so this is real progress. Not easy to bring down by one guy either.

I agree that Manningham and Moss really help Crabtree get open and there is no way to guard these guys one on one. Wish he were a bit faster but...can't have everything.
Share 49ersWebzone