LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Yes, but not as in completely wasted pick. He just wasn't worth a top 15 pick as evidenced by his play and injury history. Bottom half of first round, top of second round, then no, not a bust. Top 15 ? YUP.

Hopefully, time will prove me wrong. I am hoping for him to get it together.
yes, of course. look at his numbers and look at his history of injuries. 3rd round talent right there.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Most of this thread is comical. A bust after 3 years? Yet we have a QB who didnt do a damn thing for his first 6.....ohhh forget it.

The hypocrisy on this board is astounding.

It was alright to hate Alex throughout those 7 years, but it's not alright for Crabtree?

The hypocrisy on this board is astounding.

I don't think people realize that the QB has to throw the ball to the WR for the WR to put up stats.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I don't think people realize that the QB has to throw the ball to the WR for the WR to put up stats.

When the hell did that start?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

When the hell did that start?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Alex Smith can always serve as the scapegoat for an under-performing receiver but explain this one to me...

Everyone on this board would/should agree that Vernon Davis is the best/only receiving threat this team has had since Terrell Owens.

Now let's consider that in Singletary's prehistoric offense, VD tied the record for most TD's in a season for a TE.

Let's also consider Davis' historic performance in the playoffs of 2011 (not to mention the fact that he came around big-time towards the last few weeks of the season).

This to me, negates the "Alex Smith is his QB" argument. Davis is the only star we've had catching passes since T.O. and he has had a couple pro-bowl seasons.

If Crabs was the talent he was touted to be, he'd be up there too. But he's not. Teams focus on Davis and Gore and Crabs is still lucky to get a 100 yd game once a year against a team like the Rams.

Again, I'll root for the guy until the cows come home, but the writing is on the wall. He's not very good when it counts.

I agree with this.

I don't buy the "Alex Smith is his QB" reason as well. The capabilities of the QB is a big factor in WR play for sure, but at some point the WR's own talent has to take over. I've seen countless other WRs succeed with below-par QBs: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson to name a few. All three had times when they had inferior QB play and still produced on the field. Did you forget the expectations? We all thought that given his college production he would be a sure-fire Probowler and on the level of those aforementioned WRs.

I answered "No" on the poll, I don't think he is a bust. He's produced decently. I do think that he is a major disappointment.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
crabtree is defnitally not a bust

he is a solid #2 WR

however he definitely could be a lot better and it starts with showing up at the practice firld

every year he has a slow start and then finishes strong (obviously excluding playoffs from last year)

i seriously doubt its a coincidence that he finished string and starts of weak after missing off season programs
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
crabtree is defnitally not a bust

he is a solid #2 WR

however he definitely could be a lot better and it starts with showing up at the practice firld

every year he has a slow start and then finishes strong (obviously excluding playoffs from last year)

i seriously doubt its a coincidence that he finished string and starts of weak after missing off season programs

he was a top pick and being a "solid" no.2 doesn't cut it
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:

agreed

but last year in last 8 games or so if you average his yards out to a 16 game season he wouldve had 1250 yards

all im saying is he is a slow starter but he could easily develop into a #1 WR but we wont know till he starts practicing

he starts of slow every year because he has to learn a new offensive system every year and when he misses offseason activities it slows his learning curve to the point that he is learning the playbook while were playing regular season games

this year however we have same playbook which is why i expect him to break out

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Alex Smith can always serve as the scapegoat for an under-performing receiver but explain this one to me...

Everyone on this board would/should agree that Vernon Davis is the best/only receiving threat this team has had since Terrell Owens.

Now let's consider that in Singletary's prehistoric offense, VD tied the record for most TD's in a season for a TE.

Let's also consider Davis' historic performance in the playoffs of 2011 (not to mention the fact that he came around big-time towards the last few weeks of the season).

This to me, negates the "Alex Smith is his QB" argument. Davis is the only star we've had catching passes since T.O. and he has had a couple pro-bowl seasons.

If Crabs was the talent he was touted to be, he'd be up there too. But he's not. Teams focus on Davis and Gore and Crabs is still lucky to get a 100 yd game once a year against a team like the Rams.

Again, I'll root for the guy until the cows come home, but the writing is on the wall. He's not very good when it counts.

I agree with this.

I don't buy the "Alex Smith is his QB" reason as well. The capabilities of the QB is a big factor in WR play for sure, but at some point the WR's own talent has to take over. I've seen countless other WRs succeed with below-par QBs: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson to name a few. All three had times when they had inferior QB play and still produced on the field. Did you forget the expectations? We all thought that given his college production he would be a sure-fire Probowler and on the level of those aforementioned WRs.

I answered "No" on the poll, I don't think he is a bust. He's produced decently. I do think that he is a major disappointment.

I agree. I think if he was drafted in the spot that Jenkins was, much fewer people would complain.
Always gets f**king injured. Bust
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:

great post
Originally posted by kezar49er:
No, the facts are as stated below by ninerprideinNJ and I'll add he can't get seperation running routes, his hands are not as great as advertised and is slow afoot. Maybe his feet have been hurt but my no means is he special, and yea getting picked #10 in the 1st round does come with some expectations. I just hope he shows enough to be a #2 starter this year,I for one expected more than he's delivered so far.

Lol no thats called an opinion. You should learn the difference between opinion and fact.

Here is an example of an opinion

Michael Crabtree cannot get separation

Heres another example of an opinion

his hands are not as great as advertised

Here is an example of a fact

Michael Crabtree gained enough separation to haul in 72 receptions with no legitimate wide receiver across from him.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM ]

And the WR has to catch the ball instead of tipping it into the arms of the defender.
Share 49ersWebzone