LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Really? 7.2 Wins?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Winning all the close games to me showed that we have matured as a relatively young team. We used to lose those games under No-Win & Dingleberry and now we're winning them. Our team is growing smarter, wiser and most of all more patient and holding our composure. They don't get frustrated when their backs are against the wall (Eagles). We fight to the end.

i feel our team might hit some road bumps with the tougher schedule but win the division at 10-11 games this year. But once we make the playoffs, we're a forced to be reckoned with!
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
This. And the team didn't even have an off-season. They added major pieces and stayed completely intact on the defensive side of the ball. They will improve in a lot of aspects in which they never got the chance to work on during the lock-out. 7 wins? WIth this defense, and a decent offense? I just don't see it. Joe Montana recently came out and talked about the 9ers being a legit contender.

I understand there is reason to be skeptical, but there is also a whole lot to look forward too. I personally think we win 10-12 games, win the division, and have a legit shot making a run.

While we had more of an uphill battle because of an almost completely new staff, all teams had no off season, for some it hurt them as people got injuried with no off season to get into condition.. So this argument can be a two edged sword.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by danimal:
good teams blow out their opponents typically. That is how you get out of "one hit wonder" "fluke" status. Statistical analysis shows that teams generally don't have winning records, 2 seasons in a row....when asked to play in close contests at a higher than average rate

Anybody who thinks this season hinges on the Defense is off their rocker....you better look at the Offense for once and ask....where is our 21-0 jump starts??
tell that to the 90 niners team that won most of thier games by a small margin and then went onto the nfc title game vs the giants where they lost on a fumble. good teams win, they win, they win by one, they win by 30, they win. i am unsure why so many quibble with how much we win by or how many yards alex will throw for. You win, you win anyway shape or form you can. I also disagree with a statement you made in a earlier post about"our defense has to come down to earth". why? the ravens have been a great defensive team for ten years, who is to say we can not or are becoming that type of a team with that type of a defense? why must our defense "come down". they have speed, they are the best tackling team in the nfl, they do the fundamentals very well. they do a great job controlling what they can control. barring massive injuries why do you not think our defense can continue to be top three in the nfl. its been done before. you can set around and wait for those 21-0 jump starts, i will just appreciate wins any way i can get them. please do not let your blind loyality to your hate of alex make you sound illogical

ha ha, are you even reading what I am talking about. Nobody is saying you can't have a single season with lots of close wins, the argument is it is really difficult to have 2 seasons in a row like that.

It is pointless to point out a team with one season. Please share with the group which team you know of that had 2 seasons like that in a row.

And the 1990 49ers were the 1990 49ers, in case you missed it they were the team of the decade so everything about them was exceptional.

If the 2013 49ers were coming off of 4 SB wins in the last 8 seasons, we would not even be having this talk and Football outsiders would have so much positive data that they would be predicting 12-4 at least.

That was a terrible analogy my friend
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We ranked 4th in margin of victory average. Only the Saints, Packers, and Patriots won games by a greater margin than we did. Most games come down to the wire. The good teams blow lesser teams out on occasion, but for the most part the final 4:00 minutes of games determines your success through the year.

Okay-but they are the ones that have at least proven themselves as they repeated as playoff contenders. They also have trmendous offenses. Which, other than the saints, they both worked in the ofseason to revamp their def.

Point is expect to lose some (not all) of those close games, like 7-2 in close games with a bad break like the NFC Ch and you can be 5-4 in close games.

I see what you are saying. Their offenses and history of success make them less vulnerable than us. I just don't see how anyone could predict us to go 7-9. The defense might regress from last year, but not by much, not with all 11 starters coming back. The offense should be greatly improved. 10 to 12 wins would not be a sign of regression in my eyes. It's hard to repeat 13 wins. I get that. But 7 wins? No freakin' way.
What the stats don't show is the loss of personell from one season to the next. SF has not lost a single key player. Only dead weight was lost. I still don't see why our defense can't sustain being great. They've been better then good for a long time and have finally been put together properly and didn't lose anyone. Baltimore and Pittsburgh have had dominant defenses for years now. Why can't SF be one that sustains a great defense?
tell that to the 90 niners team that won most of thier games by a small margin and then went onto the nfc title game vs the giants where they lost on a fumble. good teams win, they win, they win by one, they win by 30, they win. i am unsure why so many quibble with how much we win by or how many yards alex will throw for. You win, you win anyway shape or form you can. I also disagree with a statement you made in a earlier post about"our defense has to come down to earth". why? the ravens have been a great defensive team for ten years, who is to say we can not or are becoming that type of a team with that type of a defense? why must our defense "come down". they have speed, they are the best tackling team in the nfl, they do the fundamentals very well. they do a great job controlling what they can control. barring massive injuries why do you not think our defense can continue to be top three in the nfl. its been done before. you can set around and wait for those 21-0 jump starts, i will just appreciate wins any way i can get them. please do not let your blind loyality to your hate of alex make you sound illogical

Apples and oranges-why? back then those niners had proven themselves. They were off recent back to back SB victories. This team as of right now, is a one hit wonder. They will have to prove themselves. This is true with any sports team. Point is, odds and numbers are against them, although I am hopping they beat the odds, that is why I am not having a cow over the articles.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
ha ha, are you even reading what I am talking about. Nobody is saying you can't have a single season with lots of close wins, the argument is it is really difficult to have 2 seasons in a row like that.

It is pointless to point out a team with one season. Please share with the group which team you know of that had 2 seasons like that in a row.

And the 1990 49ers were the 1990 49ers, in case you missed it they were the team of the decade so everything about them was exceptional.

If the 2013 49ers were coming off of 4 SB wins in the last 8 seasons, we would not even be having this talk and Football outsiders would have so much positive data that they would be predicting 12-4 at least.

That was a terrible analogy my friend
my point is that good teams win, it does not matter by how much, they win and that is the bottom line. sometimes people just get caught up to much in history and data and stats. i could really care less what team in nfl history has won close games two years in a row.it means nothing. i know you said our specail teams and defense have to come down to earth but you did not say why? is it because no one ever had the outstanding special teams that we have had two years in a row? maybe it is our destiny to have top nfl special teams for the next five years, maybe it is our destiny to have the nfls top defense for the next five years. barring injuries, why not?
The other big factor is offense. Nobody is sure how the niners are going to play it with RM and Manningham and L. James-That is why any drop off by the ST and D must be made by O to sustain the winning ways. That is the perception which will remain until proven otherwise to the league and observers.

Although, our D is intact, the thing is having the same players and seeing how the niners play-the opponents will have a whole season to poor over film and see tendencies. Last year, nobody knew how they were going to play. The players like Aldon and Culliver will have to improve along with being more familiar with one another is the biggie more than the playbook
Isn't the this the same 'supercomputer' which last year generated the 49ers with 5 wins, and the Eagles & Chargers in the Superbowl?

Yeah, move along... nothing to see here.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Isn't the this the same 'supercomputer' which last year generated the 49ers with 5 wins, and the Eagles & Chargers in the Superbowl?

LOL is that true?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
The other big factor is offense. Nobody is sure how the niners are going to play it with RM and Manningham and L. James-That is why any drop off by the ST and D must be made by O to sustain the winning ways. That is the perception which will remain until proven otherwise to the league and observers.

Although, our D is intact, the thing is having the same players and seeing how the niners play-the opponents will have a whole season to poor over film and see tendencies. Last year, nobody knew how they were going to play. The players like Aldon and Culliver will have to improve along with being more familiar with one another is the biggie more than the playbook

no amount of film will help teams when they look at what we do and what we control so very well on defense. There is no play the other teams offense can put in to take away our speed we have on defense and the angles we take on defense and how we wrap and tackle. the only way we will stop being a top three nfl defense in my opinion is if we suffer multiple major injuries or if we just stop doing those little things that we control. if we do those things, it is hard for other teams to find a weakness. again the ravens have been doing this for ten plus years.. who is to say we are going to become the nfc version , in the next ten years, of what the ravens have been in the afc. gotta have some faith. they can pour over as much film as they want. no one hits as hard or tackles as well as we do. what we do and what we control is the biggie in my opinion
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Are you serious? It predicted us Five wins and we win the division? I think it was another prognosticaotor you are talking about..
no amount of film will help teams when they look at what we do and what we control so very well on defense. There is no play the other teams offense can put in to take away our speed we have on defense and the angles we take on defense and how we wrap and tackle. the only way we will stop being a top three nfl defense in my opinion is if we suffer multiple major injuries or if we just stop doing those little things that we control. if we do those things, it is hard for other teams to find a weakness. again the ravens have been doing this for ten plus years.. who is to say we are going to become the nfc version , in the next ten years, of what the ravens have been in the afc. gotta have some faith. they can pour over as much film as they want. no one hits as hard or tackles as well as we do. what we do and what we control is the biggie in my opinion

I think you are right on about that. Patrick Willis will be our version of Ray Lewis. They are basically identical anyway, same number same size, same sideline to sideline ability.

Then how do you explain some of the games where the defense failed-even in games we won?

To say no film will help is incorrect. We are creatures of habits and tendencies. You just have to find it. does a guy do this when you do that, does the defense does this when you do that? You look at film, see how they are playing in the games thencompare how they are playing in the game with you and adjust. You here about it from all the great players from Ray Lewis to P Willis, to Ronnie Lott, they all study film and then some. Jerry studied a lot also, he didn't just work it on the hill, he worked in the film room with Walsh-why do you think he got the best of Dieon and not vice versa.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Then how do you explain some of the games where the defense failed-even in games we won?

To say no film will help is incorrect. We are creatures of habits and tendencies. You just have to find it. does a guy do this when you do that, does the defense does this when you do that? You look at film, see how they are playing in the games thencompare how they are playing in the game with you and adjust. You here about it from all the great players from Ray Lewis to P Willis, to Ronnie Lott, they all study film and then some. Jerry studied a lot also, he didn't just work it on the hill, he worked in the film room with Walsh-why do you think he got the best of Dieon and not vice versa.
no defense is perfect but ours is as close as you can get. sure they will have some bumps in the road but they always make plays when they need to. i think a better group of wide outs and the second year in our offense and all the work alex did in the off season will keep that defense on the sidelines a bit more and a bit more refreshed. oh and the reason we had success vs deon is cuz we ran sweeps at him and he was afraid to tackle. oh when anyone talks about film , i have nightmares of the former guy here who thought he was a coach its simple, we just keep doing those little things well. sure the other team will study us in the off season like one would study a bug under a microscope but i am sure our defensive coaches and players are not setting around playing checkers this off season, they are working on some new things to but like i said we execute the basics well, avoid major mistakes and major injuries, our defense is top two
Share 49ersWebzone