There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Maybe Boone kissed Harbaugh's a** for all of last year to get into the starting lineup. Wasn't he the one always by Harbaugh's side after the game doing the 'un-shirting' ritual they had going between them after every wins.

I think Blake Costanzo was frequently helping Harbaugh untuck his shirt. No job security in friendships here. HarBaalke are ruthless, and I mean that as a compliment.
if Boone goes to RG, we are very thin at OT
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Has there been any news from Person . What its doing is putting a lot of pressure on Boone. He's essentially responsible for 3 positions.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Same depth whether Boone starts at RG or sits on the bench...just might require a double switch rather than a straight off the bench deal. While I understand your point it seems to me that putting the best five on the field is the goal. If there is an injury they deal with that at the time.
Technique!!!

Can he get low enough and drive those meaty legs into the DTs? Nastiness? Got it...in droves!!! Ability to pass block? Very fine thank you. Athletic to swing out and pull? Yup.

Again, can he get low enough and learn the new techniques needed to do his job in the trenches?

It will be very apparent when TC roles around. He will have to go against McD AND Smith as they interchange.

Will be fun to watch.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Technique!!!

Can he get low enough and drive those meaty legs into the DTs? Nastiness? Got it...in droves!!! Ability to pass block? Very fine thank you. Athletic to swing out and pull? Yup.

Again, can he get low enough and learn the new techniques needed to do his job in the trenches?

It will be very apparent when TC roles around. He will have to go against McD AND Smith as they interchange.

Will be fun to watch.

Yeah also will be taking on Aldon with those mean club moves.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I've been rooting for him since we signed him. And if he ends up being the starting G then I think we got him for cheap with the extension he got (i think)
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Technique!!!

Will be fun to watch.

Yeah also will be taking on Aldon with those mean club moves.

Wasn't Boone the guy who reportedly handled Aldon in last year's training camp? Once Boone got into shape and dedicated himself to training, I think he's become a guy they'd love to start. Last season he proved his worth and ability with the snaps he got at swing tackle.

Compare him to Snyder, who was handed the RT position a couple seasons ago and couldn't keep it, then given the RG spot and couldn't beat out Rachal (until Rachal proved himself incapable to Harbaugh last season), tried out at C and couldn't do it.

Big difference in the "jack of all trades" label for Snyder vs Boone. One truly was "the master of none," the other has apparently played well enough to make the coaches try to find a place for him to start.

Tico's correct, imho: if Boone can get the technique down (and I'm betting he can), he's apparently got the other physical and mental tools needed. I can even see him as the leader of the OLinemen eventually.
Here are my concerns with the OL and with Boone and I'll highlight some positives:
  1. CONCERNS: We have nobody to push Staley again and he is oft-injured. Staley had his best year last year (via pro bowl voting) when he lost some time d/t injuries and Boone played well in his absence. Boone pushed him all year and the FO noticed it by signing Boone to an extension. You don't think that motivated Staley? Obviously the coaching staff is high on Boone.
  2. The difference in technique between the T and the G position is night and day. Fangio also pointed out that while versatility is nice, it's still monumental that you have guys mastering their primary position and practicing it daily. We're not talking about a DL coming in and blocking for a few plays on offense here. There is also a huge difference between playing on the left side of the line vs. the right. Boone is not only moving from the T position to G, but from the left side to the right.
  3. We have an overstock of G's like Kilgore who need to learn their craft and be developed; they need to know what their position is and master it first and foremost instead of being a primary backup at RG, C & LG b/c we moved a T to the starting RG spot.
  4. If there IS an injury, we now have to change two positions on the line and chemistry is paramount to any line esp. in the WCO. Remember, we lead the league in pressures under 3 seconds to an athletic and mobile QB last year and Alex took some HUGE hits and was running for his life last year and that was with max protection, jumbo packages, an emphasis on the run game and creative use of it (QB bootlegs, fly-sweeps, crack-backs, pitch-outs, even middle screens - essentially a run, etc.).
  5. I have concerns with the fact that we now are installing year 2 of the WCO and we've added all these play-makers but we have so many questions along the OL at this point. There are too many "what if''s" right now if you want Alex to stand upright and our play makers to shine and this offense to develop; we should have been able to see the plan by now and players should have known their roles from day 1.
  6. With an overstock at G's, with a T moving to start at RG, we are not only thin at T but may have to cut a promising rookie G and/or pick up a veteran FA.
  7. Boone has trained his entire NFL career to be a starting T and his own mentor made mention how he is cut out and built perfectly for a T (matches his skill set perfectly). It didn't seem like he understood to tryout at the G spot either (my impression).
  8. I'm concerned about his height clogging up throwing lanes (quick slants) if he is stalemate with a DL or even pushed back. In order for him to win the low-man-wins matchup in the trenches, his stance is going to be the widest of any linemen which will also leave less pocket room to step up into and throw and you'll literally see RB's and pulling guards tripping over him or having to swing out wider if he isn't getting a serious push/movement with each fire. Unless he pushes a DT sideways or well off the LOS and stands him up in time, the RB may have less room to cut it back off his blocks. He's not a big, low-centered, yet compact road-grader like Iupati.
  9. POSITIVES: I love Boone and how hard this dude has worked. I do trust this coaching staff more than any other in the past and versatility is important. I suspect, we are only seeing a start to a competition between he, Kilgore and Looney and all will really push one another for that starting role.

I will say my ideal would have been him pushing Staley, genuinely for the starting LT position b/c their will be a major emphasis on the outside run game with Hunter/James (sealing the edge) and short yardage and in much better pass protection this year (all areas of strength for Boone). Staley has the experience edge and is better blocking on the run and out in space. I even considered moving Davis inside to RG and use that frame and nastiness there and start Boone at his more natural spot at RT. Or, do what I think the coaches are doing now and that is let Boone have the veteran courtesy to fight for the RG position but end up being the swing T by the time it's all said and done. Either way, its going to be a fun and REAL battle to watch this pre season.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM ]
i dont care who fills the gap....If they can give Alex 4 to 5 Seconds on pass plays ...we will score 49 points per game easy
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i dont care who fills the gap....If they can give Alex 4 to 5 Seconds on pass plays ...we will score 49 points per game easy

No question...that's Brees and Brady time and we may have even more play makers now.
If Boone is really gonna step in at RG, then the coaching staff must have a plan for the backup T positon.

I've got a feeling that Pearson is gonna be the backup T. Big strong kid who if has taken to the coaching could easily fit the bill. Maybe they see his technique is improving enough to be able to handle backup duty.

Or they have Boone filling an injury to either T and move Kilgore to RG.

We now have the bodies and time to get the best players on the field at the start of the season. Then if injuries happen, adjust!
I hope this "cross your fingers" approach to the OL works, but I am not a fan of the gamble, especially when our first two picks are going to be rotting on the sidelines this year and maybe next year, along with our second rounder from last year, CK. Me no likely this plan!
Originally posted by rk1642:
If Boone is really gonna step in at RG, then the coaching staff must have a plan for the backup T positon.

I've got a feeling that Pearson is gonna be the backup T. Big strong kid who if has taken to the coaching could easily fit the bill. Maybe they see his technique is improving enough to be able to handle backup duty.

Or they have Boone filling an injury to either T and move Kilgore to RG.

We now have the bodies and time to get the best players on the field at the start of the season. Then if injuries happen, adjust!

I think Kilgore should get a very serious look at RG, he looks nasty
Originally posted by NCommand:
Here are my concerns with the OL and with Boone and I'll highlight some positive

My thoughts on each of your concerns...

1) "we have no one to push Staley?" ... really? How do you know? Maybe the staff has lots of respect for the development of Person as the swing-OT? Do we know otherwise? Does Staley seem the type to slack off if he doesn't perceive someone nipping at his heels?
2) Boone has the OT spot down already... he's been said to be a film-studying, dedicated player now. Think he will have to replace Staley and suddenly forget how to play LT? I really don't. Boone already has experience playing both the left and right sides... relax a bit.
3) An overstock of OGs? Why? We have a 4th rounder and some late rd guys that can learn the pro G position w/o being forced into early game action. Is that a bad thing? Looks like Kilgore is getting that much needed focus at C. Also, not a bad thing, as Goodwin is old and was graded as a bottom-5 center last year.
4) Yes, we would have to change out two positions in case of injury... so far as we know. Maybe 1) comes back into play. If Staley goes down and Boone kicks out to LT, that's covered nicely. If Kilgore or Looney come in at RG, that's not necessarily a nightmare in the making. We survived with the likes of Rachal... we have already seen the nightmare and are beyond that now.
5) I want Alex upright and healthy as much as anyone.. but I don't have this wild concern or questions about our line. Gotta give these guys a shot to prove themselves. Even if we brought an old vet G in, I'd still have concerns over whether he could catch on at a solid rate. Hey, this is what TC and preseason games are all about. If you trust in the coaches' ability to assess talent? Then give them the chance to do so in August.
6) we are no more thin at OT than we were before. Boone is the # 3... Person likely the # 4.
7) Boone would have been better at OT over Davis, IMHO, but Baalke wants his guy to get more chances at RT. I understand it. Again, let's just see if Boone can handle RG... so far so good (apparently).
8) Again, goes back to GIVE HIM A CHANCE... your concerns are not foreign to our coaches, and they like what they have seen. Snyder was 2 inches shorter and very light last year... still kicked Rachal's arse at RG, and he was also 6' 5". Boone is two inches taller than those guys. Hold your fingers out to two inches... that's really not a huge difference, is it? All comes down to Boone's discipline in staying low. He just needs to be better than Snyder... that's not asking much.
9) Well GOOD... you say you trust the staff, so trust and relax. We have time to get all of this sorted out. I think if Boone does struggle in early August, we could very well see AD slide inside and Boone slide out to RT... just depends on how AD really looks.