Originally posted by NCommand:
Here are my concerns with the OL and with Boone and I'll highlight some positive
My thoughts on each of your concerns...
1) "we have no one to push Staley?" ... really? How do you know? Maybe the staff has lots of respect for the development of Person as the swing-OT? Do we know otherwise? Does Staley seem the type to slack off if he doesn't perceive someone nipping at his heels?
2) Boone has the OT spot down already... he's been said to be a film-studying, dedicated player now. Think he will have to replace Staley and suddenly forget how to play LT? I really don't. Boone already has experience playing both the left and right sides... relax a bit.
3) An overstock of OGs? Why? We have a 4th rounder and some late rd guys that can learn the pro G position w/o being forced into early game action. Is that a bad thing? Looks like Kilgore is getting that much needed focus at C. Also, not a bad thing, as Goodwin is old and was graded as a bottom-5 center last year.
4) Yes, we would have to change out two positions in case of injury... so far as we know. Maybe 1) comes back into play. If Staley goes down and Boone kicks out to LT, that's covered nicely. If Kilgore or Looney come in at RG, that's not necessarily a nightmare in the making. We survived with the likes of Rachal... we have already seen the nightmare and are beyond that now.
5) I want Alex upright and healthy as much as anyone.. but I don't have this wild concern or questions about our line. Gotta give these guys a shot to prove themselves. Even if we brought an old vet G in, I'd still have concerns over whether he could catch on at a solid rate. Hey, this is what TC and preseason games are all about. If you trust in the coaches' ability to assess talent? Then give them the chance to do so in August.
6) we are no more thin at OT than we were before. Boone is the # 3... Person likely the # 4.
7) Boone would have been better at OT over Davis, IMHO, but Baalke wants his guy to get more chances at RT. I understand it. Again, let's just see if Boone can handle RG... so far so good (apparently).
8) Again, goes back to GIVE HIM A CHANCE... your concerns are not foreign to our coaches, and they like what they have seen. Snyder was 2 inches shorter and very light last year... still kicked Rachal's arse at RG, and he was also 6' 5". Boone is two inches taller than those guys. Hold your fingers out to two inches... that's really not a huge difference, is it? All comes down to Boone's discipline in staying low. He just needs to be better than Snyder... that's not asking much.
9) Well GOOD... you say you trust the staff, so trust and relax. We have time to get all of this sorted out. I think if Boone does struggle in early August, we could very well see AD slide inside and Boone slide out to RT... just depends on how AD really looks.