LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I thought we were trading Staley because Boone is SO GOOD.

There you go. Trade Staley for a 1st rounder, insert Boone at LT, move Kilgore to RG and have Slowey continue to backup C. Develop a backup T this off season, bring in a cheap FA as security and I'd be down with this! LOL. Whichever T can seal the edge best, win in sort yardage most and pass protect the blind side wins the job.

Don't understand trading Staley for another first rounder. But we've gone in circles about this earlier so let's not do it again.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
You may end up being right but Gogan was a road grader with an attitude and had serious push and power. Boone is more of an athlete, limber, lighter, leaner, more of a natural dancer than a guy who will clear out space. He may be a good pulling guard though!

One of Boone's major knocks coming out was his lack of athleticism and many doubted he could play LT at all at he next level. He was always regarded as an ideal road grading RT. Shifting him over one spot should allow him to utilize his natural power and tenacity

I was not aware of this! Man, I've always thought of Boone as "an athletic T" that can pull, block down field, strong enough to seal the edge, an above average pass blocker but never saw him as a road grader. If this is in fact the case and he just added the aforementioned skills over the years to a road grading skill set and mentality and pair him next to Davis, look out! Those two will feed off each other...
If our staff puts Boone at RG and he gets injured? Then the staff will have Person or another fill in. They won't NOT have a plan, ya think?

No matter what, you put your best 5 OL on the field. You don't put one of your top 5 on the bench just in case of injury. Me? I wanted Boone to be our RT and Davis to slide in. Well, no problem.. that's not happening.

These questions and concerns that are being posted are valid... but if you are thinking about it, then so have our coaches. So as per usual, we have to believe that they have plans and contingencies for such things.
I thought we were trading Staley because Boone is SO GOOD.

There you go. Trade Staley for a 1st rounder, insert Boone at LT, move Kilgore to RG and have Slowey continue to backup C. Develop a backup T this off season, bring in a cheap FA as security and I'd be down with this! LOL. Whichever T can seal the edge best, win in sort yardage most and pass protect the blind side wins the job.

Don't understand trading Staley for another first rounder. But we've gone in circles about this earlier so let's not do it again.

LMAO! It was a joke...truly. But if anything, I did want to keep both Staley and Boone and battle for the LT position all off season (legit competition) and see Kilgore/Looney battle it out at RG and Slowey truly pushing Goodwin at C. Competition is always a win-win.
I was not aware of this! Man, I've always thought of Boone as "an athletic T" that can pull, block down field, strong enough to seal the edge, an above average pass blocker but never saw him as a road grader. If this is in fact the case and he just added the aforementioned skills over the years to a road grading skill set and mentality and pair him next to Davis, look out! Those two will feed off each other...

No, Boone was less athletic than Mike Adams in pass pro (at OSU)... but he offered more power and was somehow better at slipping 2nd level. Gotta keep in mind the radical physical changes Boone has made though. I think people will be surprised to see him moving out there. But what I seriously doubt he lost since adding quickness... is his natural strength. Dude's a bull and he will move OL off the line as long as his discipline is strong in staying low.

Can't wait till TC and preseason !!!! The misery is nearly at its end!!!!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
If our staff puts Boone at RG and he gets injured? Then the staff will have Person or another fill in. They won't NOT have a plan, ya think?

No matter what, you put your best 5 OL on the field. You don't put one of your top 5 on the bench just in case of injury. Me? I wanted Boone to be our RT and Davis to slide in. Well, no problem.. that's not happening.

These questions and concerns that are being posted are valid... but if you are thinking about it, then so have our coaches. So as per usual, we have to believe that they have plans and contingencies for such things.

I've considered this one a lot as well...think it would be much more natural for Davis to move inside and utilize his bad azz road grading skills and mentality with Boone playing to his natural right side as a T (and he can play LT too). But my friend, its still so early, we just might see this at some point in the pre season. But it probably won't be talked about with the coaches...we'll need to watch for it and any other alignments in pre season that may raise our eye brows. This coaching staff keeps everything close to the vest...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You mean this?

"Mike Person was on the 49ers' 53-man roster last season as a rookie, but he did not suit up for any games. He lined with the second team at left tackle during the offseason program. He also saw some action at guard." Lol at the bold.

Obviously he is going to work with the second team, he's all we have left at the position. Is this supposed to mean the coaches love him and he's going to be great etc? Maybe, but that is pure speculation.

No, he means the part where it says Boone will kick back out to T as Kilgore slides into the RG spot.

No, Boone was less athletic than Mike Adams in pass pro (at OSU)... but he offered more power and was somehow better at slipping 2nd level. Gotta keep in mind the radical physical changes Boone has made though. I think people will be surprised to see him moving out there. But what I seriously doubt he lost since adding quickness... is his natural strength. Dude's a bull and he will move OL off the line as long as his discipline is strong in staying low.

Can't wait till TC and preseason !!!! The misery is nearly at its end!!!!

Thanks for the insight! Man, this may end up being the most anticipated pre season ever!
Thanks for the insight! Man, this may end up being the most anticipated pre season ever!

Yep... heavily fapping soon!

Trying so hard to keep my schedule light in the coming months. Plan on watching ALL the position battles over and over and over. Probably gonna post my findings here too, but that gets taxing.

Yep... heavily fapping soon!

Trying so hard to keep my schedule light in the coming months. Plan on watching ALL the position battles over and over and over. Probably gonna post my findings here too, but that gets taxing.

Oh you have GOT to do that again...that info is invaluable AND you are very objective about it. As "fans" we can truly focus on one or two players effectively by just watching their production (or lack thereof)...coaches have many guys they need to watch with all sorts of other factors swirling around them. This is the time of year we can analyze right along with 'em!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]

i havent been so excited to watch pre season battles in LONG TIME if ever.
Originally posted by 99problems:

Yep.. lots of really interesting players to watch. I want to see:

- Anthony Davis' allegedly improved footwork/speed.
- Boone's transition at RG.
- Alex's new-found mechanics.
- LaMichael James
- Just where A.J. Jenkins is at.
- Randy Moss !!!
- new and improved Mike Crabtree?
- Kilgore can push Goodwin at C?
- new and improved Kyle Williams... will he return punts?
- backup QB battles

- all the developing backup DL
- how the extreme work Brooks put in has paid off?
- how Cam Johnson can push Haralson?
- Culliver vs Brown vs Cox
- Spillman closing the gap vs Goldson?

Whoooooooooooo !!!!!
Losing Snyder and Rachal was a blessing. Those two are way too inconsistent to be trusted. I'm was thrilled when the Cards shelled out the cash for Snyder. They thought they were getting a good player and hurting us at the same time. Jokes on them.
Originally posted by strickac:
Losing Snyder and Rachal was a blessing. Those two are way too inconsistent to be trusted. I'm was thrilled when the Cards shelled out the cash for Snyder. They thought they were getting a good player and hurting us at the same time. Jokes on them.

Very likely. PFF had Snyder as a bottom 10 guard last season.. and I bet they nailed it.

me ------> <------ Cardinals
Originally posted by 99problems:

Yep.. lots of really interesting players to watch. I want to see:

- Anthony Davis' allegedly improved footwork/speed.
- Boone's transition at RG.
- Alex's new-found mechanics.
- LaMichael James
- Just where A.J. Jenkins is at.
- Randy Moss !!!
- new and improved Mike Crabtree?
- Kilgore can push Goodwin at C?
- new and improved Kyle Williams... will he return punts?
- backup QB battles

- all the developing backup DL
- how the extreme work Brooks put in has paid off?
- how Cam Johnson can push Haralson?
- Culliver vs Brown vs Cox
- Spillman closing the gap vs Goldson?

Whoooooooooooo !!!!!

Aldon as a full time starter, & RB' fighting for that special teams role as well as the 4th back
Share 49ersWebzone