There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?

I'd ask that you clarify this before I really answer.

I have the same questions as you noted above and would like to add that we also looked at 4 FA guards in the offseason too. So like you noted, why move a pure T who could literally push and maybe even win, a starting T position over Staley/Davis right now to RG? Boone's mentor even noted he is best suited for the T position.

As to my point above, perhaps the coaching staff is a big fan of Boone and his development over the years and REALLY wants to get him on the field, one way or another, if at nothing else, give him the courtesy shot at RG as a message to the team that Boone is proof that if you work hard, stay straight, keep developing, you WILL get a shot to start. And if that is the case, NOW is the time to send that message. But maybe the real plan is to have Kilgore or Looney or Slowey (true interior guys) win the job from Boone in the pre season and move Boone back to the main backup T position?

No, I don't think we are using any deception or have some "real plan" undisclosed to us. I think Jim and the staff love them some Boone. I think they do really want him to be the 5th OL starter. I think Boone will have to really shock with disappointment to not be that 5th starter.

People are worrying about him having to shift back to OT if someone gets injured. I do not share their concerns. Boone has been around enough to know what his assignments are, whether at T or G. So I have more faith in Boone kicking back out to OT than I would for most teams inserting their # 3 OT in due to injury.

I also think people forget or overlook the potential development of other OTs on our roster. Could be that Person or Hall have been impressing and developing well as future backup OTs.

Boone was a very good run blocker at OSU... very adept at slipping into the 2nd level. As long as his height doesn't cause issues... and so far, the staff doesn't feel he's playing too high.. then Boone should be an excellent G, as he plays with the nastiness you want. He's strong, quicker, and nasty. At worst, I think he's easily an upgrade to Snyder.

Kilgore, I think is being groomed as the future C behind Goodwin. I love that. We are also developing Beeler and Slowey as long-shot possibilities there too. Joe Looney is excellent depth at G that could turn out to be more IF somehow Boone turns out a disappointment there. No need to force any of these guys with no or minimal experience out onto the field.
Originally posted by 99problems:
all of you complaining at the backup tackle position read the article one more time.


You mean this?

"Mike Person was on the 49ers' 53-man roster last season as a rookie, but he did not suit up for any games. He lined with the second team at left tackle during the offseason program. He also saw some action at guard." Lol at the bold.

Obviously he is going to work with the second team, he's all we have left at the position. Is this supposed to mean the coaches love him and he's going to be great etc? Maybe, but that is pure speculation.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You mean this?

"Mike Person was on the 49ers' 53-man roster last season as a rookie, but he did not suit up for any games. He lined with the second team at left tackle during the offseason program. He also saw some action at guard." Lol at the bold.

Obviously he is going to work with the second team, he's all we have left at the position. Is this supposed to mean the coaches love him and he's going to be great etc? Maybe, but that is pure speculation.

No, he means the part where it says Boone will kick back out to T as Kilgore slides into the RG spot.
hopefully he's better than Snyder and chulo
Originally posted by oldman9er:
No, he means the part where it says Boone will kick back out to T as Kilgore slides into the RG spot.

yeah but if boone gets injured, then we have nobody to backup staley/davis. What then?
I thought we were trading Staley because Boone is SO GOOD.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?

I'd ask that you clarify this before I really answer.

I have the same questions as you noted above and would like to add that we also looked at 4 FA guards in the offseason too. So like you noted, why move a pure T who could literally push and maybe even win, a starting T position over Staley/Davis right now to RG? Boone's mentor even noted he is best suited for the T position.

As to my point above, perhaps the coaching staff is a big fan of Boone and his development over the years and REALLY wants to get him on the field, one way or another, if at nothing else, give him the courtesy shot at RG as a message to the team that Boone is proof that if you work hard, stay straight, keep developing, you WILL get a shot to start. And if that is the case, NOW is the time to send that message. But maybe the real plan is to have Kilgore or Looney or Slowey (true interior guys) win the job from Boone in the pre season and move Boone back to the main backup T position?

No, I don't think we are using any deception or have some "real plan" undisclosed to us. I think Jim and the staff love them some Boone. I think they do really want him to be the 5th OL starter. I think Boone will have to really shock with disappointment to not be that 5th starter.

People are worrying about him having to shift back to OT if someone gets injured. I do not share their concerns. Boone has been around enough to know what his assignments are, whether at T or G. So I have more faith in Boone kicking back out to OT than I would for most teams inserting their # 3 OT in due to injury.

I also think people forget or overlook the potential development of other OTs on our roster. Could be that Person or Hall have been impressing and developing well as future backup OTs.

Boone was a very good run blocker at OSU... very adept at slipping into the 2nd level. As long as his height doesn't cause issues... and so far, the staff doesn't feel he's playing too high.. then Boone should be an excellent G, as he plays with the nastiness you want. He's strong, quicker, and nasty. At worst, I think he's easily an upgrade to Snyder.

Kilgore, I think is being groomed as the future C behind Goodwin. I love that. We are also developing Beeler and Slowey as long-shot possibilities there too. Joe Looney is excellent depth at G that could turn out to be more IF somehow Boone turns out a disappointment there. No need to force any of these guys with no or minimal experience out onto the field.

Nice post! He's such a good athlete, it's very possible he could do both and do both well. Watching him, Kilgore, Slowey & Looney will be my pre season goal, along with the backup OLB & FS position (Spillman & Robinson). I absolutely love nasty linemen with attitude and man, with Kilgore & Slowey as your backups and Boone being added, we finally have some passion on this OL (esp. with Davis).
I fully expect that there will be a competition at RG once training camp opens.

Sure they gave Boone a look during OTAs and Mini Camp, but it would be impossible to draw any conclusions based on no contact drlls , no pads. Boone was getting reps with the 1st team...that's all.

I don't for a minute believe that Boone has been annointed the starting RG. Let's wait until the end of pre-season games before declaring the competition over.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I thought we were trading Staley because Boone is SO GOOD.

There you go. Trade Staley for a 1st rounder, insert Boone at LT, move Kilgore to RG and have Slowey continue to backup C. Develop a backup T this off season, bring in a cheap FA as security and I'd be down with this! LOL. Whichever T can seal the edge best, win in sort yardage most and pass protect the blind side wins the job.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You mean this?

"Mike Person was on the 49ers' 53-man roster last season as a rookie, but he did not suit up for any games. He lined with the second team at left tackle during the offseason program. He also saw some action at guard." Lol at the bold.

Obviously he is going to work with the second team, he's all we have left at the position. Is this supposed to mean the coaches love him and he's going to be great etc? Maybe, but that is pure speculation.

No, he means the part where it says Boone will kick back out to T as Kilgore slides into the RG spot.


Ok, so let's assume Boone can slide over without missing a beat. I still think the main concern is what happens if Boone gets hurt playing NFL interior line, we will have no backup T.

The real "X-factor" seems to be Person. Maybe the coaches really do like him. After all, making the 53 last year was actually pretty impressive if you think about it. He was a late round rookie tackle out of a no-name school. And last year was when we already HAD Boone as our dedicated T. Which tells me we put him on our roster because we wanted to protect him from other teams.

So maybe there is something to the idea of Person being an up and comer we can count on this season. That would be great, if true.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I fully expect that there will be a competition at RG once training camp opens.

Sure they gave Boone a look during OTAs and Mini Camp, but it would be impossible to draw any conclusions based on no contact drlls , no pads. Boone was getting reps with the 1st team...that's all.

I don't for a minute believe that Boone has been annointed the starting RG. Let's wait until the end of pre-season games before declaring the competition over.

This is the camp I'm in right now too...either way, no matter what the outcome, this coaching staff is approaching it right.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I fully expect that there will be a competition at RG once training camp opens.

Sure they gave Boone a look during OTAs and Mini Camp, but it would be impossible to draw any conclusions based on no contact drlls , no pads. Boone was getting reps with the 1st team...that's all.

I don't for a minute believe that Boone has been annointed the starting RG. Let's wait until the end of pre-season games before declaring the competition over.

I'm in this camp. He does have actual game experience playing tackle, which is a lot more than any of the guys at RG right now. That should help him transit. But we should really wait til TC and preseason to know for sure.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Ok, so let's assume Boone can slide over without missing a beat. I still think the main concern is what happens if Boone gets hurt playing NFL interior line, we will have no backup T.

The real "X-factor" seems to be Person. Maybe the coaches really do like him. After all, making the 53 last year was actually pretty impressive if you think about it. He was a late round rookie tackle out of a no-name school. And last year was when we already HAD Boone as our dedicated T. Which tells me we put him on our roster because we wanted to protect him from other teams.

So maybe there is something to the idea of Person being an up and comer we can count on this season. That would be great, if true.

Hmmmm, you may be onto to something here. I'll add Person to my "watch" list. Thank you...
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may end up being right but Gogan was a road grader with an attitude and had serious push and power. Boone is more of an athlete, limber, lighter, leaner, more of a natural dancer than a guy who will clear out space. He may be a good pulling guard though!

One of Boone's major knocks coming out was his lack of athleticism and many doubted he could play LT at all at he next level. He was always regarded as an ideal road grading RT. Shifting him over one spot should allow him to utilize his natural power and tenacity
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may end up being right but Gogan was a road grader with an attitude and had serious push and power. Boone is more of an athlete, limber, lighter, leaner, more of a natural dancer than a guy who will clear out space. He may be a good pulling guard though!

Gogan lives somewhere in Sammamish, WA... I run into him every so often. Last time our paths crossed, he was buying a bong at a cigar shop, where I buy my Cohiba's. I guess he has mellowed since his playing days.