LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Boone opens 49ers' camp as favorite for starting role

When news broke this offseason that the 49ers planned to convert backup tackle Alex Boone to RG, it was expected he would take part in a fierce competition for the starting job. Now, it's questionable whether there will even be a competition during training camp. Boone made a relatively seamless transition from his role as the 49ers' backup tackle on both sides. In the offseason, he showed plenty of promise as he adapted to his new assignments, stance and technique. If he can keep it going when the pads go on, Boone will undoubtedly be the starting right guard to open the season. The 49ers will suit up 7 OL among the 46 players allowed to be in uniform for regular-season games. Kilgore appears to be in line to be the top backup. Kilgore could fill the role as the backup at C and both G positions. If a replacement tackle were needed, Boone could take on that responsibility with Kilgore filling in at RG.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-opens-49ers-camp-as-favorite-for-s?blockID=736314&feedID=2800 ;
[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM ]
So.......what is the plan for backup LT-RT?
Don't count me as a fan of using our only backup T at guard, but I certainly hope it works out. Baring injury (and that's the big one) it will provide us with a TREMENDOUS upgrade in our pass blocking at RG compared to Rachal.
Originally posted by jreff22:

They'll just throw him in there cold. It could work, I think Boone is a very talented T, he might be able to step in cold and be fine. But we're putting all of our eggs into one O-line right now.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
oh no. this means our OL officially suxorz
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jreff22:

They'll just throw him in there cold. It could work, I think Boone is a very talented T, he might be able to step in cold and be fine. But we're putting all of our eggs into one O-line right now.

Agreed with you guys. We have true interior guys with tons of upside such as Kilgore, Looney & Slowey but we convert a true T to RG. I'm still not sure this is real life...might just be a coaching staff giving him a veteran courtesy look but the real plan is for one of these interior guys (e.g. Kilgore) to win it in the pre season games. I think Broone's height (need a road grader here and low man wins) and long, wide stance will really work against him (Alex, RB's & OL tripping over him if pushed back or stalemate). It might affect passing lanes too. Then again, the thing our OL needs MAJOR improvements on is pass blocking and that's where Boone excels so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed with you guys. We have true interior guys with tons of upside such as Kilgore, Looney & Slowey but we convert a true T to RG. I'm still not sure this is real life...might just be a coaching staff giving him a veteran courtesy look but the real plan is for one of these interior guys (e.g. Kilgore) to win it in the pre season games. I think Broone's height (need a road grader here and low man wins) and long, wide stance will really work against him (Alex, RB's & OL tripping over him if pushed back or stalemate). It might affect passing lanes too. Then again, the thing our OL needs MAJOR improvements on is pass blocking and that's where Boone excels so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?

It's just kind of odd to me. No matter how you want to slice it.

We draft a guard last year, then we draft two guards this year. That gives us a glut of guards. So what do we do? We move our only backup T to guard. So now we're overflowing with guards, and have no dedicated backup T.
So what was the idea with drafting all these guards? I guess they could also play center perhaps. But last time I checked, T is a premier position in the NFL. It's extremely important. For a Super Bowl team, it's even more important to have quality depth at T. And yes, injuries occur at T every season. Its very rare to not see at least one of your T positions miss some games.

They obviously want to shore up the pass protection, and who can blame them? But we could have used any number of different strategies to accomplish this in the off-season. Drafting three guards in two seasons seemed to be the answer. Apparently it wasn't.

One thing's for sure, whenever I see one of our big guys down on the ground this year, I am going to be crossing my fingers its not one of our three T's.
Idk, wasn't kevin gogan 6'7" or something worked out pretty good back then. I agree that the larger concern is if boone wins out who is the new backup tackle and are they even worth it. Idk is pearson a tackle?
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM ]
so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?

I'd ask that you clarify this before I really answer.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Idk, wasn't kevin gogan 6'7" or something worked out pretty good back then. I agree that the larger concern is if boone wins out who is the new backup tackle and are they even worth it. Idk is pearson a tackle?

Boone is still the backup T, even if he starts at guard. The only issues are that first, he is not going to be dedicating his practice time at T (obviously, since he is our starting guard) and second, all of our T's are going to be starting on the line trying to avoid the injury bug, as an Olineman is far more likely to be injured in a game then in practice.
Whether or not he can actually be a good G is a separate issue. Suffice to say, he sure as heck BETTER be a darn good G if we are going to start him over three draft picks.
And Person? He has no game experience, and was a late round pick. I think its wishful thinking to think he can just step in and replace Staley or Boone or Davis.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
so maybe the coaching staff is willing to give him a real shot and error on the side of a smaller pocket, less push/lanes for running inside and smaller throwing lanes for the sake of that protection? What do you guys think?

I'd ask that you clarify this before I really answer.

I have the same questions as you noted above and would like to add that we also looked at 4 FA guards in the offseason too. So like you noted, why move a pure T who could literally push and maybe even win, a starting T position over Staley/Davis right now to RG? Boone's mentor even noted he is best suited for the T position.

As to my point above, perhaps the coaching staff is a big fan of Boone and his development over the years and REALLY wants to get him on the field, one way or another, if at nothing else, give him the courtesy shot at RG as a message to the team that Boone is proof that if you work hard, stay straight, keep developing, you WILL get a shot to start. And if that is the case, NOW is the time to send that message. But maybe the real plan is to have Kilgore or Looney or Slowey (true interior guys) win the job from Boone in the pre season and move Boone back to the main backup T position?

PS: Also, one of our major weaknesses last year was pressure right up the middle so perhaps the coaches feel Boone will be a better pass blocker...and good enough to sacrifice in the running game (road grader), throwing lanes (d/t his height) and long wide stance (that might shrink the pocket for Alex and RB's) if he is in stalemate or pushed backwards.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM ]

You may end up being right but Gogan was a road grader with an attitude and had serious push and power. Boone is more of an athlete, limber, lighter, leaner, more of a natural dancer than a guy who will clear out space. He may be a good pulling guard though!
all of you complaining at the backup tackle position read the article one more time.

You may end up being right but Gogan was a road grader with an attitude and had serious push and power. Boone is more of an athlete, limber, lighter, leaner, more of a natural dancer than a guy who will clear out space. He may be a good pulling guard though!

I think we will throw the ball more, and mix it in with a lot of traps, pulls and counters. Only a few years ago, Jon Runyan was a very good guard for the Eagles at 6'7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Runyan Now he's a Congressman?!

If Boone puts on a little more weight, he could remind me of him.
Boone may be 6'7" but no lineman plays standing straight at full height. That would be full retard. Don't see his height as a problem. Alex Smith is listed at 6'4 but I know he doesn't stand at that height in the pocket. How could he when he now has his knees bent

Not sure what the contention that you guys are discussing regarding Boone's height.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone