Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Here is how I would rate the 49ers:

QB - C
OL - B
RB - B
WR - D (could be much better this year, but it is unproven, and we were below average last year)
TE - A

DL - B (only 1 star, but they play well as a group)
LB - A
Secondary - A (has flaws but too many Pro Bowlers to give a lower rating)

Special Teams - A
if your going by NFL draft standards than yeah.. and if your going by my opinion yeah..
Originally posted by fryet:

QB - C
OL - B
RB - B
WR - D (could be much better this year, but it is unproven, and we were below average last year)
TE - A

LB - A

Special Teams - A

Grading the team after a short TC to learn new schemes is not a fair matter but if I were to force myself:

QB: Based on last year alone Smith B
WRs: an incomplete due to injury--if I have to give them a grade it would be an F.
DL: is an A because they closed down the run with three guys most of the time...with great support by everyone else and Aldon was a great rookie.
DBs: Rating the secondary above the DLine is mindboggling to me. They did a great job but not better than the guys who brought pressure.
OLIne: You gave them a B? They were one of the poorest at pass protection, were not very good at run blocking and gave up sacks at a record rate--D+ at best.
RB: B Hunter and Miller helped keep this grade high, but Frank wore down and Dixon was disappointing--couldn't get the tough yards.
TEs: A- (VD admitted it took him half the season to learn the plays--lot of mistakes early on)
ST: A (would be an A+ if not for the NYG game

I really question your grade for the line. Seems really odd.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Grading the team after a short TC to learn new schemes is not a fair matter but if I were to force myself:

QB: Based on last year alone Smith B
WRs: an incomplete due to injury--if I have to give them a grade it would be an F.
DL: is an A because they closed down the run with three guys most of the time...with great support by everyone else and Aldon was a great rookie.
DBs: Rating the secondary above the DLine is mindboggling to me. They did a great job but not better than the guys who brought pressure.
OLIne: You gave them a B? They were one of the poorest at pass protection, were not very good at run blocking and gave up sacks at a record rate--D+ at best.
RB: B Hunter and Miller helped keep this grade high, but Frank wore down and Dixon was disappointing--couldn't get the tough yards.
TEs: A- (VD admitted it took him half the season to learn the plays--lot of mistakes early on)
ST: A (would be an A+ if not for the NYG game

I really question your grade for the line. Seems really odd.

Sounds fair. The OL and WR are the biggest questions to me. With this schedule this season, those 2 areas and Alex need to step it up. Smith had an efficient year, but 3rd down conversions and red zone offense MUST improve!! I'll be disappointed with anything less than the 25-30 TD range for Smith.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

QB - C
OL - B
RB - B
TE - A

LB - A

Special Teams - A
sorry, but a b for the offensive line is laughable. did you watch the first 3/4 of the season?did you see that lovely game with the ravens. sorry d maybe c minus based upon a good showing in the last few games. give alex a b and the line a d
This was purposed on the 9ers.com board and I said I think we are in the top 3 at least. Probably could argue #1 overall. Some people would argue that because our offense doesn't put up the numbers or because we don't have an elite QB we aren't. Just because we didn't put up the #'s doesn't mean we are super talented on offense. If you look at all 3 phases of the game I would say others up there are Philly, Houston and the Giants. Maybe a few others. Teams that might be better than us that I wouldn't count as talented would be New England and Green Bay.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

QB - C
OL - B
RB - B
TE - A

LB - A

Special Teams - A
sorry, but a b for the offensive line is laughable. did you watch the first 3/4 of the season?did you see that lovely game with the ravens. sorry d maybe c minus based upon a good showing in the last few games. give alex a b and the line a d
Maybe it is my homerism, but I gave the OL a B because one player went to the Pro Bowl, and they have so much talent (lots of 1st round picks). They did have issues at times, however the overall offense didn't have much speed, so they were always facing stacked lines. My expectation is that once the passing game becomes better (which will make the running game better), the OL will start to look a lot better, because the defense will be too afraid to blitz every down and keep 8 in the box.
I think the D-line is definitely an A!

QB: B
RB: B+
WR: C
TE: A
OL: B- (based on the end of last year and removing the weakest link)
DL: A (Best 3-4 DE in the game, top 10 3-4 DE, and a quality NT)
LB: A (2 All-Pros, Aldon, and Ahmad)
CB: B (I think they benefited greatly from the front 7, possibly overrated)
S: B (see CB)
ST: A (top 3 for all three: K, P, KR / PR)

Cumulative GPA: B+
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think the D-line is definitely an A!

QB: B
RB: B+
WR: C
TE: A
OL: B- (based on the end of last year and removing the weakest link)
DL: A (Best 3-4 DE in the game, top 10 3-4 DE, and a quality NT)
LB: A (2 All-Pros, Aldon, and Ahmad)
CB: B (I think they benefited greatly from the front 7, possibly overrated)
S: B (see CB)
ST: A (top 3 for all three: K, P, KR / PR)

Cumulative GPA: B+