LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

Originally posted by walker807:
I think James would have a lot harder time at the NFL level doing the goal line stuff he did in college. The threat of him bouncing outside left massive holes in the Dline at Oregon that he was able to burst through. I personally just think his outside the tackles ability is what will translate the most to the nfl and is what the niners need the most from him.

Only saw his games against Stanford so will take your word on this! It is definitely a step up in competition. 5'8" and 194 is pretty solid for a RB. Hunter is a bit bigger and Gore is a bit bigger again.

I am hoping James can be used for screens and other plays where is speed and quickness can be a mismatch...don't care for smash mouth football much.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM ]
LMJ is hopefully gonna be a Charlie Garner reincarnation. Very quick and shifty, but has surprising power to battle inside the tackles as well.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe. QB, WR are question marks. D Line depth is extremely thin. RB is banged up and getting older. Backup return men suck as we have seen. Are we a talented team? Sure. Are we a shoe in for the best or an elite run? I don't know about that.

RB getting older? If only we had drafted some running backs over the last few years.

Oh, wait.....

Those guys aren't proven to be at the production level of Frank Gore. They are little smurf change of pace type backs.

Gore wasn't proven to be at the production level of Frank Gore until he started. Fact is, we have options now.
Most talent ever in NFL history nobody is even a close second
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by walker807:
I think James would have a lot harder time at the NFL level doing the goal line stuff he did in college. The threat of him bouncing outside left massive holes in the Dline at Oregon that he was able to burst through. I personally just think his outside the tackles ability is what will translate the most to the nfl and is what the niners need the most from him.

Only saw his games against Stanford so will take your word on this! It is definitely a step up in competition. 5'8" and 194 is pretty solid for a RB. Hunter is a bit bigger and Gore is a bit bigger again.

I am hoping James can be used for screens and other plays where is speed and quickness can be a mismatch...don't care for smash mouth football much.

Yeah we got three other guys for smashmouth!

LMJ is going to be the lightning in the bottle after the thunder is done.
  • darum
  • Veteran
surprised no one has mentioned the chiefs. they could probably challenge us for top front 7 on d next year if poe is any good at NT, and if the guys coming back from injury play well i like their chances in the afc west. if they could get above average QB play i think they would be superbowl contenders.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:

This post and about 90% of the post in this thread... Are delusional. I love the 49ers, have no love for any other team, I think we have a great team with tons of potential. But guys, come on! We have some great players, a lot of talent and then a lot of question marks and unproven players. The potential is all here, but slow down.
2nd only to the Seahawks.
Overall the Niners have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. However, it's tough to argue that you have THE most talented roster when you lack a franchise qb.
Eagles have more talent top to bottom. Maybe the Texans too.

Pats and Packers have more talent where it matters. Maybe the Giants too.

Originally posted by Chief:

This post and about 90% of the post in this thread... Are delusional. I love the 49ers, have no love for any other team, I think we have a great team with tons of potential. But guys, come on! We have some great players, a lot of talent and then a lot of question marks and unproven players. The potential is all here, but slow down.

My sarcasm didn't read well but was obvious nontheless. I agree with the rest of your comment btw.
[ Edited by 16to87 on Jul 8, 2012 at 5:44 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
LMJ is hopefully gonna be a Charlie Garner reincarnation. Very quick and shifty, but has surprising power to battle inside the tackles as well.

Might be quicker and stronger than Garner...two inches shorter than Garner and heavier. To be an inside runner players need a strong lower body and the ability to keep the legs churning...James fits this.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah we got three other guys for smashmouth!

LMJ is going to be the lightning in the bottle after the thunder is done.

According to Harbaugh James was selected because of his goal line ability--stating they couldn't keep him out of the end zone. I see him as a situational player at first for third downs and RZ. Hunter was used more for screens and at midfield.

At any rate, they will earn their time on the field through competition...a good thing.
Originally posted by Chief:

I swear some of you guys don't understand english, or to be more specific, what the word "talent" means.

We aren't talking about "proven" players. We are talking about "potential" i.e "talent". It's is not delusional to infer the 49ers are or at least among the top teams in the league in terms of "talent".

Talent: "a capacity for success; ability."--------nowhere in that definition does it contain the word "proven" or "unproven".
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jul 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I swear some of you guys don't understand english, or to be more specific, what the word "talent" means.

We aren't talking about "proven" players. We are talking about "potential" i.e "talent".

It's risky to talk of potential, as we learned with players like J Russell, but this 9er team has great character along with great potential. There is a huge difference. Some folks never take character into account and get burned badly, but Harbaugh/Baalke seem to be on the same page...short leash on character issues.

Boone is a great example of this. When McCloghan(sp?) signed the guy he told him to come out to 9er headquarters, find a place to live and show up for workouts early each morning...in other words, do not put yourself in a position to continue negative behavior. That attitude has continued and he and others are turning out to be much better than their draft position. Other guys have been turned loose...quickly and with little fanfare.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

We aren't talking about "proven" players. We are talking about "potential" i.e "talent". It's is not delusional to infer the 49ers are or at least among the top teams in the league in terms of "talent".

Talent: "a capacity for success; ability."--------nowhere in that definition does it contain the word "proven" or "unproven".
The Op asked do we have the most talent he did not ask are we among the top team in talent which would be obvious even to the most casual observer
Share 49ersWebzone