There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

Do we have the most talent in the NFL?

  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Defensively we easily do, not a single team gets close.

On offense its arguable, with teams like Eagles, Pats, Saints.
Our receivers are still question marks, we still dont have a true #1 receiver. But VD makes up for that. We have the best all around TE in the league and a great RB group.

On special teams we just had a record breaking punter, record breaking kicker, and a very good return man. And a 2x pro bowl long snapper

But all around talent from defense, to offense to special teams I think we do.
I think we have the most talent on defense but offensively we're still talking potential.

Our offensive line still has alot to prove, receivers we're banking on improvement from Crabtree and Moss going back 2 years, (leaving Alex out of this) those 2 areas improves he improves as well.

I think you can argue Houston has more talent than us. They can legitimately say if they stay healthy they have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM ]
If we beat the packers opening day in their house then I will be 100% convinced we have the best team and will be a lock to win the superbowl. If not then I will be somewhat worried.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I swear some of you guys don't understand english, or to be more specific, what the word "talent" means.

We aren't talking about "proven" players. We are talking about "potential" i.e "talent". It's is not delusional to infer the 49ers are or at least among the top teams in the league in terms of "talent".

Talent: "a capacity for success; ability."--------nowhere in that definition does it contain the word "proven" or "unproven".
The Op asked do we have the most talent he did not ask are we among the top team in talent which would be obvious even to the most casual observer

Well no s**t that is the argument isn't it?
Based on the grades noted above, we have an outstanding linebacker crew, Wow.

I would advise players who run across the middle for short passes be prepared to be crushed.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jul 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
yep. and i am curious who the RG will be. will boone be able to overcome his height , and if he does... who is the center?


what i like though, there may be movement in those 2 positions but it will not be a new player learning the calls and assignments.


Well Robert Gallery ended up being a great guard after being a terrible offensive tackle and he's about the same size. We should only have a better run game with Boone in there. He can get low even at that height and that's a pretty big dude pushing guys out of the way.
Defensively and Special Teams wise yes it's not even close

Offensively we don't if you consider NE, NO, GB, and Philly
I think we win in GB opening game. It would take a superhuman effort, and good as McCarty is, Coach Harbaugh is better. Our GM is better. Our D and STs are better. GB improved themselves this offseason and draft, but did they bring in 3 WR starters, back up their RB, draft a situational HB with their 2nd pick no less? GB is a great, great team, as well as having many great players. Rodgers is phenomenal, the Hawk, 3 really great WRs....but we got tons better than we were last yr, we got a full season under our coach, the COY, we cemented in the RG situation, got rid of the dead wood. GB will be better this yr...but we will be way, way , better. Also, if reports are to be believed, we may have a legit star who 3 yrs later becomes a bona fide star...craps. No way GB got as much better as we did.

The ,mere fact of having our entire team together 1 yr, with not even 1 new player, makes our team twice as good as last yr. How Coach H could have gotten that much more out of our guys , when he didn't even know them until 4 weeks before season...well that in itself is an amazement.
And the value of coaching cannot be minimized when you are looking at who has the most talent, because we got a guy, who is able to get the most out of his guys, way moreso than other coaches...and it didn't take 3 yrs to learn the ropes either. Probably our MVP is Coach Harbaugh, and that makes whatever talent we have way better than whoever is in second place. Without him, no, we definitely do not have the best talent in the league. With him we do.
Originally posted by BayArea:
If we beat the packers opening day in their house then I will be 100% convinced we have the best team and will be a lock to win the superbowl. If not then I will be somewhat worried.

Lock to win the Super Bowl after week 1 eh?
It's debatable whether we have the best talent in the league. I don't follow the other teams enough to give them a fair evaluation. I know one thing --we have the best, most intense, most maniacal, all encompass singular objective to win the SB coach-- in Jim Harbaugh. In this regard Harbaugh is better than Walsh. Bill was a genius but he had self doubt creeping in once in a while, even at the height of his career. And a loss would deflated him so badly that he wanted to quit. Carmen Policy alluded to this and even Walsh mentioned in his writings. Paul Brown noticed this in Walsh also and said he wasn't 'tough enough' for the long haul of the NFL season. Walsh defies this label and coached in the NFL for almost 10 years. But he did exhibit this trait.

Harbaugh seems to be able to move on after a loss much better than Walsh. At least outwardly he doesn't show it affected him as much. We have a freak'n Timex coach in Harbaugh. F*ck'n awesome !

Maybe not the most talented, but we have the best team
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
No
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's debatable whether we have the best talent in the league. I don't follow the other teams enough to give them a fair evaluation. I know one thing --we have the best, most intense, most maniacal, all encompass singular objective to win the SB coach-- in Jim Harbaugh. In this regard Harbaugh is better than Walsh. Bill was a genius but he had self doubt creeping in once in a while, even at the height of his career. And a loss would deflated him so badly that he wanted to quit. Carmen Policy alluded to this and even Walsh mentioned in his writings. Paul Brown noticed this in Walsh also and said he wasn't 'tough enough' for the long haul of the NFL season. Walsh defies this label and coached in the NFL for almost 10 years. But he did exhibit this trait.

Harbaugh seems to be able to move on after a loss much better than Walsh. At least outwardly he doesn't show it affected him as much. We have a freak'n Timex coach in Harbaugh. F*ck'n awesome !

Maybe not the most talented, but we have the best team


Well Paul Brown might have said that but Paul Brown also didn't win 3 super bowls or start a dynasty
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Lock to win the Super Bowl after week 1 eh?

In my head yes. Did I say it would be fact? No, just to sway my own personal opinion.
As a team, taken as a whole, yes. There are teams with more talent in one phase, but from top to bottom we have the best overall.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I think we win in GB opening game. It would take a superhuman effort, and good as McCarty is, Coach Harbaugh is better. Our GM is better. Our D and STs are better. GB improved themselves this offseason and draft, but did they bring in 3 WR starters, back up their RB, draft a situational HB with their 2nd pick no less? GB is a great, great team, as well as having many great players. Rodgers is phenomenal, the Hawk, 3 really great WRs....but we got tons better than we were last yr, we got a full season under our coach, the COY, we cemented in the RG situation, got rid of the dead wood. GB will be better this yr...but we will be way, way , better. Also, if reports are to be believed, we may have a legit star who 3 yrs later becomes a bona fide star...craps. No way GB got as much better as we did.

The ,mere fact of having our entire team together 1 yr, with not even 1 new player, makes our team twice as good as last yr. How Coach H could have gotten that much more out of our guys , when he didn't even know them until 4 weeks before season...well that in itself is an amazement.
And the value of coaching cannot be minimized when you are looking at who has the most talent, because we got a guy, who is able to get the most out of his guys, way moreso than other coaches...and it didn't take 3 yrs to learn the ropes either. Probably our MVP is Coach Harbaugh, and that makes whatever talent we have way better than whoever is in second place. Without him, no, we definitely do not have the best talent in the league. With him we do.

I have to agree with you, based on Harbaugh's tenure at Stanford, where he turned a second rate program into not just a top ten team, but into a dominant, overwhelming machine. His team didn't just beat some good competition, it demolished and overwhelmed its competition.

As for Green Bay, if they recognize what's coming at them in the first game and work hard to prepare, spend the summer and training camp preparing, then it should be a good game and they might win a close one.

If, however, they're not ready, if they don't recognize the level of intensity the Niners will bring, then I expect a Niner's victory, maybe by a large margin. This is what I'm hoping for.

Go Niners.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home