There are 289 users in the forums

Which "Catch" is your favorite?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which "Catch" is your favorite?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The original catch signaled the end of the era of "also rans" and the beginning of the championship era. That places it above the others historically. Can't judge which was more difficult or well played, but it certainly doesn't get better than Montana to Clark.

That's my take on it.

At the franchise level, The Catch signaled our entry into the rare air of teams with actual dynasties and iconic named plays. You only pop your cherry once, and The Catch was it. In comparison, the other catches are just memorable plays. Ask a Browns fan what The Catch II was, he'll have no clue. Catches after The Catch are merely internal issues for Niners fans to debate. On the other hand, even Carolina fans know what The Catch is.

I'd also argue that The Catch had wider implications for the league as a whole. It marked a sea change in the NFL's history as it ushered in the west coast offense and the birth of what we currently think of as the modern NFL. It's not just a play, it's a bookend to one era and the beginning of a revolution.

However spectacular Catches II and III were, they happened within the normal expectations of the modern NFL. The original Catch happened to the NFL, and the NFL will never be the same again. Be it to the history of the franchise, or the the NFL at large, it's a tall order to unseat The Catch.
The one that happened on 3rd and 3
The first one because I thought the ball was gonna go through Clark's hands
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

I'd also argue that The Catch had wider implications for the league as a whole. It marked a sea change in the NFL's history as it ushered in the west coast offense and the birth of what we currently think of as the modern NFL. It's not just a play, it's a bookend to one era and the beginning of a revolution.

Good point! Certainly changed football as many demeaned Walsh and said his gimmick offense would never work long term. Boy were they wrong!
I was at the last 2 catches but I think the 1st one was the best
All of them are so special in their own way. Wasn't alive during the first 1 but have seen the game many times. We all know the importance behind it. Being from central Wisconsin the 2nd one was so special because I was sick of losing to the Packers and Brett Favre. The third one was a resurgence... might be my favorite. Never been so happy for a team or it's players. Especially Alex.... Frank, Vernon and the others as well but mainly Alex.
"III" was a wake up call to the NFL...the Niners are back! I fully believe that had KW not fumbled twice, that we would have beaten the snot out of the patriots and then "III" would have been every bit as meaningful as "I". People that questioned whether Smith has "it" in him now know, the biggest knock on our team has been Smith, but what he did in the end of the saints game was as clutch of a performance as has ever been put forth in any game in the history of the NFL. Even Moose Johnston, who has seen quite a few games and is a hater of all things 49ers, said it was one of the best endings to a game he had seen.
For me, it was "THE" Catch.

Montana to Clark. It started the greatness we have all come to expect.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Trick question, there is only one "The Catch".

Agreed! It's the only one that also helped us go to the Super Bowl!

AND started the "cowboy aint sh**" era
Ahh, "the cowboys aint s**t ear" one of my favorites!
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Trick question, there is only one "The Catch".

Agreed! It's the only one that also helped us go to the Super Bowl!

AND started the "cowboy aint sh**" era
Ahh, "the cowboys aint s**t ear" one of my favorites!

Yep......tey never recovered since we kicked their a$$......gotta love it.....

Only one "The Catch" Montana to Rice

Second isnt even on the list. Montana to Taylor to win SB 23
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Only one "The Catch" Montana to Rice

Second isnt even on the list. Montana to Taylor to win SB 23

Damn!
the "loaded catch" it was when my girlfriend bent over this 1 time.
Originally posted by prime21:
Im glad to see that Im not crazy, this play was the furthest out of the three, tougher throw, tougher catch=hardest to execute.

I'm thinking the closer you are to the end zone means all the players are in less space.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
To the topic... really can NOT decide. They were all so special for a variety of reasons. I'm just gonna savor them all...

AGREE.....BUT FOR THE MOMENTUM OF THE GAME I VOTE FOR THE CATCH II YOUNG TO OWENS....

GREETINGS FROM LIMA - PERU
Share 49ersWebzone