LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Which "Catch" is your favorite?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which "Catch" is your favorite?

I rank them in the same numerical order.
Give it some time…

"Legendary" is defined by timelessness, which takes "time" to gain perspective and see it's place in history. The moments preceding the event often control how legendary it become…

"The Catch"

- A lot of people forget that there was still 51 seconds left in this game and Dallas was only down by 1 point.

- Had Dallas not fumbled and kicked a field goal… would the term "The Catch" ever been hatched. Certainly the photos, the excitment, the moment wouldn't have changed at all. But Dallas didn't score, and the Niners went on to win the SB. Cementing the moment in Lore.

"The Catch II"

I feel like this Catch has now had enough time to settle into its place in history. Maybe even the perspective of the Catch III has made it even clearer. In a way, this "Catch" marked a transition of power. I feel like the Catch II marked the last great Moment - the encore - of the greatest NFL dynasty in history. In less than five years, the Niners would slip into a long, depressing Dark Age…

"The Catch III"…………?

Many have pointed out that this Catch, like The Catch II, is tainted due to the fact that we didn't go on to win the SB and had a disappointing loss the next week. But years down the road have yet to be played out. Think about this…."IF" we go on to be a strong SB contender and WIN and SB in the next year or two, wouldn't it be appropriate to look at this moment as a defining realization that can be viewed as a magic spark of the "Renaissance" providing confidence and motivation that propels us into a new era?

Regardless of your favorite. You've got to love the 3rd and 3 on all 3 coincidence (or was it???).

As for my favorite.... I was (–2)-years-old in 1982, 12 in 1997. Nothing compares to the emotion and out of body experience of the Catch III, I cried… literally cried.
The Catch III

I was too young to remember The Catch and, although The Catch II was awesome, expectations were higher and winning times were not so distant. We have suffered long and hard for a decade with bottom of the barrel expectations. Redemption is so sweet! That being said, The Catch is the most important play in our history ...so far.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
- Was but a child for the first catch, wasn't a football fan as of yet.

- Was driving back from a Tahoe New Years extravaganza for #2, listening on the radio, reception coming and going as we weaved through the canyons on 50. Was quite dramatic.

- Was glued to the HD screen with a group of good Niner fan friends, everyone lost it!!

I voted #3 for that reason, they are all 3 tip of the pyramid plays in the history of the franchise, only 1 led to an eventual title and dynasty. So removing my personal experience for the actual plays the vote goes to #1.
Montana to Clark is the ultimate moment. Everything else pales in comparison. It is the epic and iconic moment in 49er history. Montana running backwards with three defenders closing in puts a high arc on what looks like a prayer. Clark leaps as high as he can in the back of the endzone and catches the ball at the ends of his fingertips...the world changed forever.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for montana9er.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Give it some time…

"Legendary" is defined by timelessness, which takes "time" to gain perspective and see it's place in history. The moments preceding the event often control how legendary it become…

"The Catch"

- A lot of people forget that there was still 51 seconds left in this game and Dallas was only down by 1 point.

- Had Dallas not fumbled and kicked a field goal… would the term "The Catch" ever been hatched. Certainly the photos, the excitment, the moment wouldn't have changed at all. But Dallas didn't score, and the Niners went on to win the SB. Cementing the moment in Lore.

"The Catch II"

I feel like this Catch has now had enough time to settle into its place in history. Maybe even the perspective of the Catch III has made it even clearer. In a way, this "Catch" marked a transition of power. I feel like the Catch II marked the last great Moment - the encore - of the greatest NFL dynasty in history. In less than five years, the Niners would slip into a long, depressing Dark Age…

"The Catch III"…………?

Many have pointed out that this Catch, like The Catch II, is tainted due to the fact that we didn't go on to win the SB and had a disappointing loss the next week. But years down the road have yet to be played out. Think about this…."IF" we go on to be a strong SB contender and WIN and SB in the next year or two, wouldn't it be appropriate to look at this moment as a defining realization that can be viewed as a magic spark of the "Renaissance" providing confidence and motivation that propels us into a new era?

Regardless of your favorite. You've got to love the 3rd and 3 on all 3 coincidence (or was it???).

As for my favorite.... I was (–2)-years-old in 1982, 12 in 1997. Nothing compares to the emotion and out of body experience of the Catch III, I cried… literally cried.

That was a f**king brilliant anaylsis
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that one, for the game winning touch down.
The Catch was the defining moment in 49er history.
The one on 3rd and 3
I was only alive for 2 of them and one of those happened when I was 4, so I got to go with the one I was actually emotionally invested in with Smith to Davis. Now I would trade the other two in a second to keep the Montana to Clark one because it was the only one that actually resulted in a superbowl. I just wasn't alive to see it.

For the guys old enough to have seen it I can't imagine them even considering the other two.

Too bad they didn't win the superbowl this year otherwise this would have been like the Montana catch and kick started a dynasty.

Not voting! Just appreciate how special each truly was for very different reasons. And really, how many franchises have ONE "catch." We have three.
This is basically the same as asking everyone their age
Originally posted by DirtyP:

lol good point
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by DirtyP:

lol good point

Yup, to me there is only "the catch" the rest are great plays, that lead nowhere.
I'd say out of all them, that the Catch II was the probably most difficult play. 25 yards out, Steve has to "catch" himself from falling down (see what I did thur?) then throw an absolute bullet perfectly in between 3 Packers right as Owens is drilled from all sides. Freaking crazy ass play.
Share 49ersWebzone