LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

I met Patrick Willis and now I hate him.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boqi:
I'm bored ATM so I thought I'd share a little story that happened to me recently:

I met Patrick Willis last week (6/18) on my airplane flying from ATL to San Jose. I noticed him at the gate but I wasn't sure if it was him until he boarded first class. After everyone got on the plane I asked the attendant if I could walk up to first class to "talk to someone I might know." She says that's fine, so I walk up there and find him sitting at the window seat with his tray down, computer out, and listening to earbuds. I lean over and say, "Excuse me, are you Patrick Willis?"

PW removes his earbuds slowly and quietly says, "Yes sir." I'm absolutely sure that NOBODY else recognized him, even the guy sitting next to him, because out of the corner of my eye I see him cluelessly do a triple take at PW and give a nonchalant shrug.

I go on. Like a nervous schoolgirl, I say, "I'm Matt. I'm just a huge fan of yours and 49er fan..." (In fact, I have his jersey but I forget to tell him). I shake his hand. Then I ask him if I can take a picture with him. He mumbles something inaudible but I get the gist of it - he wants to take the picture after we land. I say "oh of course that's fine." It would have been an awkward picture to take with the guy sitting in the way anyways. "I'm way back there" I say pointing to Coach Class, "but I'll try to catch up to you. Thanks!" And I walk back to my seat.

After we land I hurry up to the front to catch up to him to take the picture. He isn't waiting at the gate so I dash through the airport down to baggage claim/ground transportation hoping he's just walking slow. He's gone.

A couple days later I tell my friend this story and he tweets him for me (I don't have Facebook or Twitter). He says "My buddy Matt says he met you on an airplane from ATL to SJC and wanted to take a picture. Then you took off, what happened?!?"

To this day, he hasn't responded to my friend. This is NOT how you treat your fans. It took a lot of guts to walk up to first class and talk to him. I don't know if he realizes that. Plus, you know how hard it is to recognize football players in real life? It's probably one of the hardest sports to do it for, and as I mentioned, I'm sure nobody else recognized him. Then he ignores me and my friend on Twitter, which we KNOW he's active on. I understand he likely forgot to take the picture with me (it's a long flight) but he had his chance to redeem himself on Twitter. Instead he comes across as a douche.

I am telling you this story for 2 reasons;

1. Patrick Willis is a total tool. I thought the guy was cool but now I hate him. He deserves to be called out.

2. Should I continue to root for the Niners? And what should I do with his jersey? I'll sell it to someone. PM me.

Turn in your man card sir! If your that sensitive about the situation, then you just need to hand it over.
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
You should now start writing him and become this guy:

Haha, actually I was hoping he would respond on Twitter and send me stuff or something to make up for it, then I'd be in Yahoo News. But no,...LOL.

I guess telling my story on WZ will have to do.
Sounds like a fake ass story to me.but if its fareal,who gets butthurt over supposedly bein ignored on twitter.dude,take u n ur sissy feelins and go jump on the 'aints bandwagon wit the rest of their crybaby fanbase
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Because it is too pathetic and ridiculous to be this disgruntled over that exchange. Absolutely ridiculous.

I agree - what happened is ridiculous!

I doubt any of you have met him - or if you have he was probably in a better mood. But why the ignore on Twitter? That's what gets me.

None of this should "get you". That's what I am saying. As soon as you said this...

2. Should I continue to root for the Niners? And what should I do with his jersey? I'll sell it to someone. PM me.

everyone else here just thought this ---?
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
None of this should "get you". That's what I am saying. As soon as you said this...

everyone else here just thought this ---?

Ok to be fair, I'll still root for the niners of course. But it'll be hard to root for him like I used to. First impressions are very important, in general. If you have a VERY brief encouter with someone, and then they blow you off or make a bad impression, that's a very powerful thing. You feel me?
Ok to be fair, I'll still root for the niners of course. But it'll be hard to root for him like I used to. First impressions are very important, in general. If you have a VERY brief encouter with someone, and then they blow you off or make a bad impression, that's a very powerful thing. You feel me?

I do not feel you, now GTFO
So he's supposed to wait for you at the gate? Yeah good one

If Willis spit in your face prior to bi**h-slapping you? Then you should feel a bit jaded, sure.

... but what you described? No, dude... your reaction to this is just..
are you on your period right now?

Haha, actually I was hoping he would respond on Twitter and send me stuff or something to make up for it, then I'd be in Yahoo News. But no,...LOL.

I guess telling my story on WZ will have to do.

so you want Patrick to go over you house with a jumper and play for hours just like Brandon Jacob and that kid who sent him $3.00?
  • boqi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
So he's supposed to wait for you at the gate? Yeah good one

No knock on him for that. I know that was a long-shot.

But if he genuinely forgot he should've replied to my friend's tweet.
Try not to take it personal. Like you said, its a long flight. So, He might have just forgotten about your request.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it never happened, you made it up and everyone hates you. and no one is going to feel you
You hate Patrick Willis, and now we all hate you.
Share 49ersWebzone