LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Positive Trades in Niner history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Come on guys, everyone forgets about Bryant Young.

The Niners traded their 1st 2nd and 3rd in 1994 to move up to pick #7 and grab Bryant Young. One of the best draft trades ever for the 49ers. BY was a class act and excelled at 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE.

Good f**kin trade.my favoritr 9er outside of the Big 4.

The trade that got Kentwan Balmer's sorry ass off the team.i forget what we got for him and who ended up drafting.

AB,the batsignal's in the sky,help me out here please.lol

2011 6th rd pick, ended up being TCU Safety/Special Teams standout Colin Jones. Not a bad trade right now.

Thanx yet again kind sir,lol.always on time and omnipresent.

Seein that we have a good ST's unit,not a bad pick at all.Colin definately contributes more than that clown has.dont remember a single redeeming quality bout the guy.
Jerry Rice - draft day trade

Fred Dean was a monster pick up - not sure at all what we gave in return

Steve Young was an excellent trade - don't know what we gave in return

There were some other acquisitions that I can't recall if we traded or they just signed:

Kevin Gogan
Hacksaw Renoylds
Gary Plumber
Russ Francis
Big Hands Johnson
Thanx yet again kind sir,lol.always on time and omnipresent.

Seein that we have a good ST's unit,not a bad pick at all.Colin definately contributes more than that clown has.dont remember a single redeeming quality bout the guy.

You got it, And yeah Jones much better than Balmer ever was or is.
The one for Dashon Goldson and a 2nd rnd pick.....

J/k
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

There were some other acquisitions that I can't recall if we traded or they just signed:

Kevin Gogan
Hacksaw Renoylds
Gary Plumber
Russ Francis
Big Hands Johnson

Fred Dean cost the 49ers a 2nd round pick.

Gary "Big Hands" Johnson: a 5th round pick.

Young: a 2nd and a 4th.

Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Gary Plummer, and Kevin Gogan signed with the 49ers as free agents. Russ Francis un-retired to join the 49ers.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Come on guys, everyone forgets about Bryant Young.

The Niners traded their 1st 2nd and 3rd in 1994 to move up to pick #7 and grab Bryant Young. One of the best draft trades ever for the 49ers. BY was a class act and excelled at 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE.

Good f**kin trade.my favoritr 9er outside of the Big 4.

The trade that got Kentwan Balmer's sorry ass off the team.i forget what we got for him and who ended up drafting.

AB,the batsignal's in the sky,help me out here please.lol

2011 6th rd pick, ended up being TCU Safety/Special Teams standout Colin Jones. Not a bad trade right now.

We could have traded that bum for a bag of sand and we would have come out on top.
Originally posted by E-49er:
I can't believe nobody mentioned the 1986 draft trades. Walsh turned 8 picks into 14 and it produced 8 players that started in the Super Bowl including: John Taylor, kevin f*gan, Charles Haley,Tim Mckyer and Tom rathman.

LOL @ Kevin f*gan
Gire
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Didn't we have to trade to get Joe Montana?? I know it is a bit convoluted and not just a straight trade for the Montana pick scenario, but we still had him by way of Traded didn't we?

I thought Bill Walsh traded back and still ended up getting him?
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Kevin Gogan
Hacksaw Renoylds
Gary Plumber
Russ Francis
Big Hands Johnson

Fred Dean cost the 49ers a 2nd round pick.

Gary "Big Hands" Johnson: a 5th round pick.

Young: a 2nd and a 4th.

Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Gary Plummer, and Kevin Gogan signed with the 49ers as free agents. Russ Francis un-retired to join the 49ers.

Great knowledge / research! Thanks!

That Fro alone belongs in Canton.

People have already mentioned the obvious ones (Young, Dean, etc.) but an underrated one was #26 -- Wendell Tyler

"Tyler was the first player ever to lead two different teams in rushing in two different Super Bowls."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-11-06/sports/8603230540_1_wendell-tyler-fumbles-full-strength

Back then I always thought "just tape Wendell's check to the ball" and he would not fumble.

Still and underrated, underappreciated 49er. Walsh was livid back then with the fumbles, just like he was with Bubba Paris' weight (all 299 pounds lol)

Check this out -- 1983 was the year

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/1983.htm

Our 1984 Starting running back tandem

In 1981, we traded with San Diego and got Fred Dean for the right to swap picks in 1983 -- They got back Billy Ray Smith, Gil Byrd, and Mike Wilcher.

We got Roger Craig.

HOW IS THAT NOT THE BIGGEST HIJACK IN NFL HISTORY -- we got a HOF and a guy that should be in the HOF for Billy Ray Smith, Gily Byrd and Mike Wilcher.

In trades with the Rams, we also got Tyler out of the deal.

So, at the end of the day, we got Fred Dean, Roger Craig, and Wendell Tyler for, wait for it:

Billy Ray Smith, Gill Byrd, and Mike Welcher
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM ]
As part of the Tyler Trade, the Rams Draft Jamie Williams

As Paul Harvey would say . . .
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
^^ those two are likely the two most important trades this franchise has ever made.

You think it was that essential to get rid of Barlow and Lloyd? They weren't that bad for us...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

That Fro alone belongs in Canton.

People have already mentioned the obvious ones (Young, Dean, etc.) but an underrated one was #26 -- Wendell Tyler

"Tyler was the first player ever to lead two different teams in rushing in two different Super Bowls."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-11-06/sports/8603230540_1_wendell-tyler-fumbles-full-strength

Back then I always thought "just tape Wendell's check to the ball" and he would not fumble.

Still and underrated, underappreciated 49er. Walsh was livid back then with the fumbles, just like he was with Bubba Paris' weight (all 299 pounds lol)

Check this out -- 1983 was the year

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/1983.htm

Our 1984 Starting running back tandem

In 1981, we traded with San Diego and got Fred Dean for the right to swap picks in 1983 -- They got back Billy Ray Smith, Gil Byrd, and Mike Wilcher.

We got Roger Craig.

HOW IS THAT NOT THE BIGGEST HIJACK IN NFL HISTORY -- we got a HOF and a guy that should be in the HOF for Billy Ray Smith, Gily Byrd and Mike Wilcher.

In trades with the Rams, we also got Tyler out of the deal.

So, at the end of the day, we got Fred Dean, Roger Craig, and Wendell Tyler for, wait for it:

Billy Ray Smith, Gill Byrd, and Mike Welcher
also sending delvin williams, who was a good back for us in 76 to get freddie soloman was a very very good deal. remember we traded for terry kirby and we were all happy cuz we finally had a semi decent running back! 1997ish??
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Say what you want about McNolan—and we do—they absolutely turned players with zero value into draft picks.......... which they usually wasted.

LOL! So well said.
Share 49ersWebzone