There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we lose Goldson..I wont shed a tear

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GORO:
There are not alot of good safties in the league today and Dashon is a solid player whom almost made two big interceptions agains the Giants that would have put the 49ers in the super bowl. I hope he gets a good deal, he showed his loyalty a resigned with the 49ers last year on a 1 year deal and now it's time he get paid well.

Yeah I hope he gets a deal that is good for the team and they player. My argument is that 8 million a year is not a good deal for a team that will have other free agents coming up. It is not that I don't want the guy on the team, he is a top 10 safety without a doubt.
and there is nothing wrong with that...that is why I say just sit back and let the process run its course...this has been happening in this league for years, and will happen again for years to come.

The only thing I have a problem with is some attacking Dashon's charactor...as if he is the first 9er to ever "hold out"...let alone first NFL player to do so. There are also others who try to discredit his work, just because they feel he shouldn't be paid the money that the Chargers paid Weddle. There is nothing wrong with wanting our team to be in good finacial shape for years to come. But that doesn't mean some have to spew BS about stuff that they don't know about or stuff that is untrue..just to let off some frustration about the situation.

I mean even you are presuming that he is taking his time because he doesn't want to be at the OTAs...even though, if you have been following team news, he has been going to various places across the country to train with Top Notch trainers to keep himself in shape.

Everything I've read from fellow players and coaches, and these trainners is that Dashon is a hard worker and they expect him to be ready as soon as he gets with the team. These are people who know him much better than some on this message board.
Originally posted by GORO:
There are not alot of good safties in the league today and Dashon is a solid player whom almost made two big interceptions agains the Giants that would have put the 49ers in the super bowl. I hope he gets a good deal, he showed his loyalty a resigned with the 49ers last year on a 1 year deal and now it's time he get paid well.

The only issue i have with that statement is the use of the word loyalty. He tried out for other teams and they just like the niners were not willing to meet his price. Im not knocking the guy or his priorities but LOYALTY was not that high on the rung last go around
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Gore seems a candidate to be cut next offseason.

He's got a modest salary and is still a productive runner. Unless he completely falls off of a cliff in pass protection then I think he will play out his contract.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Gore seems a candidate to be cut next offseason.

He's got a modest salary and is still a productive runner. Unless he completely falls off of a cliff in pass protection then I think he will play out his contract.

This. Gore will likely retire after 2 more years. He'll get his ring this season and then will finish out 2013 as the 3rd back IMO.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
The only issue i have with that statement is the use of the word loyalty. He tried out for other teams and they just like the niners were not willing to meet his price. Im not knocking the guy or his priorities but LOYALTY was not that high on the rung last go around

He probably had the same 1 year deal offered to him from the Patriots but signed with the 49ers instead. Visiting other teams is just a part of the free agency game. He will get a deal with the 49ers and it will not be 8 million a year.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This thread is ridiculous, I'm glad you people aren't running this team.

The whole franchise tag thing is a big game of chicken

Of course Goldson hasn't reported, he is a FA until he signs the tender

He's looking for a long term deal. He wanted Waddle money last year but he might get $7 million per year like the Tenn guy.

This isn't like Franklin where the guy had 1 good year.

The 49ers will either sign him to a long term deal or he will sign the tender

They can franchise him again next year.

He signed with a "49er" friendly agent so maybe there is hope for a long term deal

I like "the hawk" but Paarage and Baalke (why we gotta have 2 FO guys with AAs in their name lol) are pimp and they will find the right Cap / talent balance
I think he will be signed to a cap friendly long term deal but Dashon knows the League showed how interested they were in him. No team other than the Patriots took a look at him and did not sign him. If he was more consistent and Ed Reed like then he would have teams flocking to him.
I have said this all along. When you become a good team you cannot re-sign everybody. I think Goldson is worth about 6 mil/yr, thats about it. His production is more about our front seven than anything. I like Goldson and won't be upset if we do sign him long term, I just still think he is somewhat of a liability in pass coverage. I wouldnt mind seeing him sign his one year deal and then us drafting a FS high in next years draft.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

He's looking for a long term deal. He wanted Waddle money last year but he might get $7 million per year like the Tenn guy.

He signed with a "49er" friendly agent so maybe there is hope for a long term deal

I like "the hawk" but Paarage and Baalke (why we gotta have 2 FO guys with AAs in their name lol) are pimp and they will find the right Cap / talent balance

It isn't really that far from it.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

It isn't really that far from it.

Agreed. At this point, how isn't it like Franklin?
I don't know whats up. The other day Dashon tweeted something and a fan replied sign your contract first. He said I have to be offered one before I sign it or something like that. Probably lying though lol
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I don't know whats up. The other day Dashon tweeted something and a fan replied sign your contract first. He said I have to be offered one before I sign it or something like that. Probably lying though lol

I wouldn't think so. I'm sure they are going over terms and details. Of course, we don't know how close or far apart they are.
The fan was probably referring to the franchise tag, while Goldson was likely referring to the long term contract he is seeking.
Originally posted by Ajanke:

Maybe he just meant "I have to be offered a fair one (in his mind) first." ?

or maybe he is trying to appear not greedy by laying blame at the feet of the organization. ?

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
This, offer what he is worth, and let him walk if he chooses not to accept.

Oh, our FO will...like they always do. No doubt...we've got a quickly-developing CJ Spillman (just signed LT), drafted Robinson and also have Culliver who can play anywhere. We have all year to let these guys learn on the field (remember Brown over Spencer?). We just have to make the playoffs.

Look how many guys developed ON the field last year with NO training camp and a vanilla scheme (Brooks, Brown, Bowman, Sopoaga, McDonald, Culliver, Brock, Aldon Smith, etc.). With the best front 7 in football in front of you and seasoned veterans at both CB positions, Nickle and SS now, the FO holds all of the cards (Franchise Tag as well).

Don't undermine the fact the coaches have verbally stated (and proven it with the offseason pickups) their desire to have a smaller FS with more speed, range, quickness, cover skills, etc. to keep up with the spread offenses. We already have a SS signed LT in Whitner.

Go with the original 5 for 25. 6 million a year tops but add incentives to the holes he has in his game (and they are evident; see PFF as a reference).