There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we lose Goldson..I wont shed a tear

Originally posted by Super5:
I would shed a tear

#1- he's a beast
#2-no replacment
He had a great yr in 2011,2010 not good,2009 great yr

"so he had a couple ints that were deflected"

Are you frickn kidding?
He had 6 ints by the way lol

You may not personally like Dashon but know your football

c'mon now!

I know we dont have a replacement, dont question my football IQ. But we do have players that have played the position if necessary. Everyone knows he had 6 INTS and 1 in the playoffs. Thanks for the statistics though.
Would you pay him money similar to one of the top safeties in the NFL when he skips OTA's to prove his point? The way I see it, skipping OTA's means you're pretty much flawless in your game. Look at what happened to Chris Johnson last year. Dashon is the only diva on our defense, and plays like one as well. He fist fought a cardinal reciever (even though it was the WR's fault) knocked out our own CB in the playoffs, and cries on twitter when we signed a safety as depth last year. The guy has a loud mouth. He plays hard, but plays a little selfish as well.

The 49ers front office will play chicken with him. Goldson needs to show hes committed to the TEAM and not just worried about his $$.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I think nearly 100% of us want Goldson back on the team ASAP.

.. but that doesn't mean we believe he is worth the large contract he seems to be after. With our front 7, it's likely that we can plug someone else in there to be effective and still field a strong D... rather than tying a ton of money into Goldson.

Don't know why others get so upset by this. Got to look at the financial aspect of this decision down the road. Sometimes, you just can't lock up every good player on the team. Especially if everyone is battling for more money than they are really worth. If anything, fans should be disgruntled that Goldson is trying so hard to strong-arm the team. Every day he holds out from practices (if he does in TC and preseason), he hurts the team. This further screams that he may just be that ME player first. The offer from SF was very generous. He's just putting his own personal greed ahead of the team... and yet some of you prefer to defend him.
Goldson's combination of range and playmaking are a big part of what makes our Defense tick and should not be taken for granted. He covers a lot of ground allowing Whitner to play closer to the LOS and his ability to play the deep third allows are corners to play agressive underneath.

Remember the Dallas game? The terrible angles and blown assignments were prevalent in our backfield in Goldson's absense, Michael Vick setting a career-best in yardage and the aforementioned Cowboys game immediately springing to mind.
he had a really really good year
Originally posted by denali22:
I know we dont have a replacement, dont question my football IQ. But we do have players that have played the position if necessary. Everyone knows he had 6 INTS and 1 in the playoffs. Thanks for the statistics though.
Would you pay him money similar to one of the top safeties in the NFL when he skips OTA's to prove his point? The way I see it, skipping OTA's means you're pretty much flawless in your game. Look at what happened to Chris Johnson last year. Dashon is the only diva on our defense, and plays like one as well. He fist fought a cardinal reciever (even though it was the WR's fault) knocked out our own CB in the playoffs, and cries on twitter when we signed a safety as depth last year. The guy has a loud mouth. He plays hard, but plays a little selfish as well.

The 49ers front office will play chicken with him. Goldson needs to show hes committed to the TEAM and not just worried about his $$.

The underlined gives anyone a good reason to question the bold... you're funny though
I'll suggest this again, how about some of you watch the games from last year to save yourself any further embarrassment in this thread...
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
I'll suggest this again, how about some of you watch the games from last year to save yourself any further embarrassment in this thread...

I watched every single game last year and some of them twice. I am a fan of the guy, but I don't think he is a top 5 safety. He deserves to get a fair contract, but 8 million a year is just silly. We have other players to pay, who you wanna let go to pay him so much?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I watched every single game last year and some of them twice. I am a fan of the guy, but I don't think he is a top 5 safety. He deserves to get a fair contract, but 8 million a year is just silly. We have other players to pay, who you wanna let go to pay him so much?

Ok, name me 4 other Safeties who had as many picks as he did last year, shut down the run as much as he did last year, shifted opposing O's to attack the other side out of fear, how many FF's did he have, how many passes did he break up, and who are the top 5 players playing at his position in the NFL right now? Also, by making him the franchise player, he automatically makes top 5 money next year (if/when) he sign's the tender
If goldson plays in the Dallas game we win the game, hands down. I have no idea of the methods used in that article but I've never witnessed the lack of coverage referred to or the inconsistency. IMO goldson is not just a good player but great player.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Goldson's combination of range and playmaking are a big part of what makes our Defense tick and should not be taken for granted. He covers a lot of ground allowing Whitner to play closer to the LOS and his ability to play the deep third allows are corners to play agressive underneath.

Remember the Dallas game? The terrible angles and blown assignments were prevalent in our backfield in Goldson's absense, Michael Vick setting a career-best in yardage and the aforementioned Cowboys game immediately springing to mind.

Goldson played in the Eagles game.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I think nearly 100% of us want Goldson back on the team ASAP.

.. but that doesn't mean we believe he is worth the large contract he seems to be after. With our front 7, it's likely that we can plug someone else in there to be effective and still field a strong D... rather than tying a ton of money into Goldson.

Don't know why others get so upset by this. Got to look at the financial aspect of this decision down the road. Sometimes, you just can't lock up every good player on the team. Especially if everyone is battling for more money than they are really worth. If anything, fans should be disgruntled that Goldson is trying so hard to strong-arm the team. Every day he holds out from practices (if he does in TC and preseason), he hurts the team. This further screams that he may just be that ME player first. The offer from SF was very generous. He's just putting his own personal greed ahead of the team... and yet some of you prefer to defend him.
Goldson's combination of range and playmaking are a big part of what makes our Defense tick and should not be taken for granted. He covers a lot of ground allowing Whitner to play closer to the LOS and his ability to play the deep third allows are corners to play agressive underneath.

Remember the Dallas game? The terrible angles and blown assignments were prevalent in our backfield in Goldson's absense, Michael Vick setting a career-best in yardage and the aforementioned Cowboys game immediately springing to mind.

< sigh >

Again, we are not debating whether Goldson is a good safety. The contention comes in when discussing whether Goldson is worth the 8 mil per yr deal he wants.

There were a total of like 5 pass plays from Dallas that were 20 yds or more. We can't justifiably sit here and speculate with any assurances that Goldson would have prevented all or any of those plays from happening. Goldson IS a good safety... and I want him back!!!! However, I don't like him strong-arming us for money I don't feel he has earned just yet. I don't like the idea of tying up that amount of money in a safety right now.

People were going ape-sh*t when I was saying "NO! Do not give Aubrayo Franklin a huge long-term contract!" That turned out well for us, yes?

Well, I'm saying the same now for Goldson... but all some of you hear are "cut him loose, he is teh suxxorz!" So again and again, I refer you to the underlined... but it has to be at a reasonable price.
Id like us to resign him but we need to make sure to save money for re-signing BOWMAN who is now grossly underpaid and more valuable IMHO.
Gave up Mays way to soon. Now he's starting in Cincy...and will be the justin smith of the AFC North division. Idiot Baalke.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Gave up Mays way to soon. Now he's starting in Cincy...and will be the justin smith of the AFC North division. Idiot Baalke.

Mays is starting there...but he's a run stopping SS...we wanted one that could go into coverage. It's unfortunate that we couldn't trade him for value, but that's really about it. We really did have too many safeties last season and someone had to go.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He'll play out his franchise year and then adios!

JH?Baalke are grooming his replacement[s] and we'll be just fine.


Don't forget we have a boat load of draft picks next year. This is the reason why we aren't in a huge hurry to sign Goldson.
Originally posted by denali22:
Is anyone else annoyed by his little holdout? The guy wants to be PAID. I don't think he deserves a ludacris contract. The guy plays like a strong safety, and had a couple of lucky INTS (most were deflected if i remember correctly) and he occasionally lays down the big hit. Big deal.

Interesting article on PFF.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/02/playing-tag-dashon-goldson/

I think we have decent depth incase he doesnt sign. I think our front office also know that he's not a big factor of our elite defense. He doesnt quite fit onto our "blue collar" theme. Seems like a trouble maker to me.

Question is, who is the best player to replace him? I'm not comfortable with playing a rookie in a FS. Maybe culliver moves over? Thoughts?

That INT in aginst the Saints wasn't lucky...if anything looked like he had spent some time in the film room and baited one of the best QB in the league into that INT...
...