There are 407 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Singletary and its not close

your wrong Erickson was much much worse
Eric Nolanberry...
Nolan could build up his resume a d get another shot down the line. DC is not that far away in the chain of command.

Singletary is pretty far away from even getting a DC position as far as I know.

The question is between Singletary and Ericson.

Would a college team ever hire Singletary for a HC?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Nolan could build up his resume a d get another shot down the line. DC is not that far away in the chain of command.

Singletary is pretty far away from even getting a DC position as far as I know.

The question is between Singletary and Ericson.

Would a college team ever hire Singletary for a HC?
i think you have nailed it. sing was just horrid in any and all aspects. at least ericson was not a drama queen. he was a moron but so was sing. sing had to create or prolong drama and he always had to have the spotlight on him
Singletary but Erickson wasn't that far behind. Donahue handcuffed him with the huge roster purge but Erickson was still really bad. Nolan is not far behind Erickson.
That's not even a question. BM(bowel movement aka bigmike) was unquestionably the worst prepared, most ill suited, and completely incompetent coaches we have ever had. Unfortunately, there is lots of material to chose from. Golitta had a goodie....Eric nolanberry. Pretty good, but hands down, the most incompetent HC to ever have the title was BM. Great , one of the best LBs. Should have left it at that..
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
That's not even a question. BM(bowel movement aka bigmike) was unquestionably the worst prepared, most ill suited, and completely incompetent coaches we have ever had. Unfortunately, there is lots of material to chose from. Golitta had a goodie....Eric nolanberry. Pretty good, but hands down, the most incompetent HC to ever have the title was BM. Great , one of the best LBs. Should have left it at that..

After a time I realized (longer than it should have actually) I realized that the Singletary Niners was always going to be outcoached. The only real adjustments ever made were those made out of desparation. Not the hallmark of a prepared coach.
to me Singletary was better at applying the little/outdated knowledge he had. he tried at least.
Erickson just didn't seem like he cared.
all of them
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Singletary and its not close

He put in the 'nutcracker' drill in NFL practice. Possibly one of the worst coach in the NFL.

I'd say Sing too. He was working with a lot more than Erickson. And it wasn't close. He had a lot more than Nolan too. He had the most and got the least out of it.

Ericson may not have beem great, but he really had the rug pulled out from under him. As soon as he was hired we did a huge salary dump. My vote is Sing. His lack of ability on either side of the ball were outrageous.
Originally posted by captnkos:
Ericson may not have beem great, but he really had the rug pulled out from under him. As soon as he was hired we did a huge salary dump. My vote is Sing. His lack of ability on either side of the ball were outrageous.

LOL. Yup.
I think Nolan`s gigantic mishandling of Smith`s injury is being overlooked by some. That was totally insane. Singletary near as insane though. Erickson was a guy who didn`t seem that motivated to be here and who also had just about all his talent taken from him over the course of his 2 years. Hell, he wanted to draft Stephen Jackson - wouldn`t that have looked smart by now?

Really, it is a pretty tight race though.
Nolan was the worst; and he was the WORST because he gave people hope, and had the nerve to show his face at Bill Walsh's funeral (giving a speech) as if he had known the guy personally (which he didn't, while Jim Harbaugh wasn't even invited, and for being the last handpicked scholar to be hired under Walsh at Stanford around that time).

I could give a s**t less about the "he was given what he was dealt" card; loser drafted Alex Smith (due to the fact that he preferred a 'meek' QB that would just follow orders), never gave Tim Rattay authority, nor a chance to succeed under McCarthy's WCO (as Tim showed amazing strides under Mooch's WCO, which Tim was built for physically), and threw Frank Gore in too f**king late into the 2005 season.

-Then, instead of accepting responsibility on numerous idiotic decisions, Nolan gave nothing but excuses, with his famous "well from a so-and-so 'standpoint', blah blah blah" remark, he continued to just throw his players under the bus (specially the QB he was responsible for drafting).

Erickson was trash, but it wasn't Erickson's fault Donahue destroyed his roster-pot; Nolan took complete GM power from the start, and when he couldn't cut it, a f**king drunk was elevated who most of the time 'shot blanks', and took credit for bringing in players he admitted to not even knowing much about, but 'got lucky' due to the talent of the coaching assistants (who all left before 2008 to get head coaching gigs).
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
to me Singletary was better at applying the little/outdated knowledge he had. he tried at least.
Erickson just didn't seem like he cared.

Erickson probably knew he was doomed with that depleted team. In the end he even put himself in the position to be fired.
Share 49ersWebzone