There are 174 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
since i was a big reason why it was derailed let me try to right the ship.. Now in the last three days I have read multiple reports from niner training camp. those reports seem to vary from hour to hour in regards to the back up quarterback battle. one minute they say josh johnson is above them all, the next minute, they are even, the next minute, ck does some drill and he is better than any of them.Do we really have any idea which of the three are in the forefront right now? is it way to early? do I take these "reports" with a large quanity of salt? help is needed please and i do take a big part of the blame for turning this thread into an alex thread

I'd stick to what Maiocco is saying right now.. This seems about right after hearing all of the reports.

Alex Smith is clearly performing at a level higher than the other quarterbacks. And none of the other three -- Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson and Scott Tolzien -- has taken a step away from the pack. Each has provided good moments and not-so-good moments.

I'm a big CK fan, but it's great news to hear our veteran is outperforming the young guns. That's how it should be.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
since i was a big reason why it was derailed let me try to right the ship.. Now in the last three days I have read multiple reports from niner training camp. those reports seem to vary from hour to hour in regards to the back up quarterback battle. one minute they say josh johnson is above them all, the next minute, they are even, the next minute, ck does some drill and he is better than any of them.Do we really have any idea which of the three are in the forefront right now? is it way to early? do I take these "reports" with a large quanity of salt? help is needed please and i do take a big part of the blame for turning this thread into an alex thread

I'd stick to what Maiocco is saying right now.. This seems about right after hearing all of the reports.

Alex Smith is clearly performing at a level higher than the other quarterbacks. And none of the other three -- Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson and Scott Tolzien -- has taken a step away from the pack. Each has provided good moments and not-so-good moments.

I'm a big CK fan, but it's great news to hear our veteran is outperforming the young guns. That's how it should be.

Yep. Love hearing that ALL four QBs are looking pretty good. This aint no chump defense they are facing, and we are gonna have one hell of a preseason battle ahead.
Yes, and Maiocco seems to be the fairest of them all.

I'm starting to like Tolzien more than JJ or CK7 right about now, but overall, just want the best man to own that backup job.

That's to bad for you. Because in 4weeks Tolzien won't be on the team
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This is how I currently view the depth chart. Alex is the starter until something drastic happens. I think Johnson is doing better and is more polished than Kaep, so in a backup sense, Johnson has the least drop-off from Smith.

I was really high on Kaep when we drafted him, but my enthusiasm is waning. He could still be a great QB, who knows, but the press makes it seem like he's struggling more than the other guys. Plus he doesn't have a large contract, so there's no $$$ bias.

Starter: Alex Smith

Backup: Josh Johnson

3rd String: Colin Kaepernick

4th String: Scott Tolzien

I respect your opinion. But like Alex said a couple weeks ago. Colin is very accurate. The media?reporters only have a few hours a week to see the team. Plus they say JJ is excellent at passing drills. But CK7 is the best out of the 4 qbs in 11 on 11 scrimmages
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
I respect your opinion. But like Alex said a couple weeks ago. Colin is very accurate. The media?reporters only have a few hours a week to see the team. Plus they say JJ is excellent at passing drills. But CK7 is the best out of the 4 qbs in 11 on 11 scrimmages

Link? I haven't read that once.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

This
One of the matt said Alex was playing the best and it wasn't even close ans the other 3 abs haven't separated themselves from the pack yet
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

This
One of the matt said Alex was playing the best and it wasn't even close ans the other 3 abs haven't separated themselves from the pack yet

Yes. Link please OP.
This is how I currently view the depth chart. Alex is the starter until something drastic happens. I think Johnson is doing better and is more polished than Kaep, so in a backup sense, Johnson has the least drop-off from Smith.

I was really high on Kaep when we drafted him, but my enthusiasm is waning. He could still be a great QB, who knows, but the press makes it seem like he's struggling more than the other guys. Plus he doesn't have a large contract, so there's no $$$ bias.

Interesting list. I predict JJ is gonna be cut. Interesting that you have him listed as #2.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Interesting list. I predict JJ is gonna be cut. Interesting that you have him listed as #2.

To be fair, I think my opinion has changed since I wrote this. From everything I've read, CK seems to have an advantage over JJ.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

To be fair, I think my opinion has changed since I wrote this. From everything I've read, CK seems to have an advantage over JJ.

Ahh ic. I didnt notice it was an old quote. I feel that if CK secure #2 we should let JJ walk and let tolzien take #3 and see if he can further develope. If JJ cant secure the backup role IMO its pretty telling, and i would rather keep the 2 young guys around to further develope. I really dont see us being able to sneak Tolzien to the PS.

You'd really have to be on crack if you think I would waist my time searching for a link to some football story. I'm to busy and way to many other problems in the world and life I'm concerned with, buddy. But since you have boundless time scroll down webzone history you'll find it

You'd really have to be on crack if you think I would waist my time searching for a link to some football story. I'm to busy and way to many other problems in the world and life I'm concerned with, buddy. But since you have boundless time scroll down webzone history you'll find it

Then there's no credibility to your post.
Yes, and Maiocco seems to be the fairest of them all.

I'm starting to like Tolzien more than JJ or CK7 right about now, but overall, just want the best man to own that backup job.

That's to bad for you. Because in 4weeks Tolzien won't be on the team

Actually, no... it is not "too bad for me" because ultimately I am happy with whoever earns the job. (as I clearly said)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Actually, no... it is not "too bad for me" because ultimately I am happy with whoever earns the job. (as I clearly said)
of course, this is the truth to most fans. we all have our favorites for sure but who ever earns it fair and square deserves it and thats ok with me
of course, this is the truth to most fans. we all have our favorites for sure but who ever earns it fair and square deserves it and thats ok with me

Share 49ersWebzone