49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 687 users in the forums

What percentage of run plays will Gore carry?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What percentage of run plays will Gore carry?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
RB don't last long and I have no problem with them picking a playmaker in James. Our offense needs speed and guys who can score and he does that. Hunter probably isn't an every down back and if Gore is out in 2-3 years we will need James and Hunter. I'd rather have too worry about getting enough touches for playmakers than having an offense with no talent. As for Gore I think he should be happy with his career. If I am him the only thing I want to do yet is win a super bowl and he can help by letting the other RBs help him. I think he knows he needs breathers and having him come out will allow for fresh legs and that he isn't the guy who will run until he is dead anymore. If he is worried about stats he doesn't need much to pass Perry for all time leading rusher. He's over 10,000 career yards. Might want to get 10,000 rushing yards... he's at 7625 so that might be attainable. But again his main worry should be to win a super bowl.

I'd like to see him stick around for 10,000 rushing yards. Two more years of normal Frank Gore production should get him their
What's wrong with allowing Jacobs more regular down carries? Not saying a huge percentage, but more than just goal line/short yardage.

I think the problem with limiting him to so few carries is that it makes the offense more predictable when he's in the game, play action notwithstanding.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 294
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Last year it was pretty much 70-30 Gore and Hunter. I'd say around 60 with 20-25 Hunter, 10-15 James and 5 Jacobs (short yardage/goal line). By next year if Gore is still good to go it will probably go down to 40-50% and the year after that it's probably 50/50 to 60/40 James and Hunter if Gore retires with 1 year left on his contract. Not sure Gore sticks around (also consider what he makes/cap) that 3rd and final year of his deal. Would be a shame if he had to go someone where else for like a year though. Hopefully he re-structures and stays on with James and Hunter as the primary backs and is a mentor/coach type while getting a small % of carries if he still has some left that last year.
I think the plan is for LMJ to be the back of the future and ideally take over for Frank. Way too early to tell if that will happen but I think he'll be a surprise and take more snaps than Hunter. I really like Hunter actually so I hope that LMJ beats him out this year and that gives us 3 solid backs! With all these backs and Miller at FB, it's a pretty interesting backfield.
40% sounds right - saving his best for last - the playoffs and the SBowl.
I dont know, fellas. I've been saying it for a while now. I 'm starting to think the writting is on the wall for Gore.....check out some of these quotes from Rathman, yesterday.

Q: Does Anthony understand the urgency of the situation?

RATHMAN: I think everybody understand the urgency, even Frank. There's a draft pick from the second round coming at his position. We signed Brandon Jacobs, so it's not necessarily one guy. I think the whole group has a sense of urgency that we've got to play at a high level, we've got to play consistent football and that's what it's going to take for us to take that next step of getting into the Super Bowl.

Q: It seems like he's lost some weight recently. (Speaking of Frank)

RATHMAN: He was a little bit overweight because he hadn't been doing much. He'll get better as far as the conditioning. Obviously he already knows the offense after being in it a year. I mean Frank's a very smart player anyway, so he understands the whole concepts that we put in, he understands the game of football and he plays fast. He just needs to continue that. We need to keep him healthy. We need to keep him fresh so he's an impact player for us.


Q: Does LaMichael James need to put on a lot of weight?

RATHMAN: I don't think so because he's already an impact player. That's what he is. He's going to be a guy who makes a lot of plays for your offense and does a lot of different things for your football team. I don't know if you ask a guy to put on weight and ask him to be a guy he's not. We'll get him in here and get him coached up when he gets here. Hopefully he responds.


http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/06/inside-the-49ers/rathman-breaks-down-the-niners-running-backs/


Come on Frank.......Dont let it be James, Hunter and Jacobs.....
Whatever works, is my motto for this and pretty much all aspects of the team. I'd like Gore to get at least 60% of the carries.. still think he has a lot to offer us. I don't think we need to rush LMJ into action that much in yr 1, but really, it's all about how every one of these backs perform in these next 3 months.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,272
61.333333333333333333333333333333
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont know, fellas. I've been saying it for a while now. I 'm starting to think the writting is on the wall for Gore.....check out some of these quotes from Rathman, yesterday.

Q: Does Anthony understand the urgency of the situation?

RATHMAN: I think everybody understand the urgency, even Frank. There's a draft pick from the second round coming at his position. We signed Brandon Jacobs, so it's not necessarily one guy. I think the whole group has a sense of urgency that we've got to play at a high level, we've got to play consistent football and that's what it's going to take for us to take that next step of getting into the Super Bowl.

Q: It seems like he's lost some weight recently. (Speaking of Frank)

RATHMAN: He was a little bit overweight because he hadn't been doing much. He'll get better as far as the conditioning. Obviously he already knows the offense after being in it a year. I mean Frank's a very smart player anyway, so he understands the whole concepts that we put in, he understands the game of football and he plays fast. He just needs to continue that. We need to keep him healthy. We need to keep him fresh so he's an impact player for us.


Q: Does LaMichael James need to put on a lot of weight?

RATHMAN: I don't think so because he's already an impact player. That's what he is. He's going to be a guy who makes a lot of plays for your offense and does a lot of different things for your football team. I don't know if you ask a guy to put on weight and ask him to be a guy he's not. We'll get him in here and get him coached up when he gets here. Hopefully he responds.


http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/06/inside-the-49ers/rathman-breaks-down-the-niners-running-backs/


Come on Frank.......Dont let it be James, Hunter and Jacobs.....

That 2nd quote is kinda misleading. Gore didnt do anything training wise for a while this offseason he said he wanted to rest his body and give it more time to recover.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,790
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by susweel:
58.7 %

You must be from the future...

there's a bunch of them here in the wz....
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
That 2nd quote is kinda misleading. Gore didnt do anything training wise for a while this offseason he said he wanted to rest his body and give it more time to recover.

Good catch on that. Makes sense to me.
James will take over as the starter mid season
Gore needs carries to get into the flow, like many good RBs. I voted 60-70% because he may kill JH or Roman if he doesn't get that many. I don't see running back by commitee this year, maybe next. The big change might be Dixon gone and Hunter sitting more. I noticed that Rathman did not include Hunter in his run down...oversight or message?
I think that Gore will see atleast 60 percent of the workload as he still showed last year that he has something give and is still solid at pass protection and a reliable target out of the backfield. I think Hunter will see about 30 percent of the carries and Jacobs and James will get whats left. I think Jacobs will be relegated to short yardage situations and I believe James will be used as much if not more split out then he will at running back so they can try and utilize his speed and elusiveness in the open space.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I think he'll receive about 50-60% of the run plays. Gore has great vision but his lack of speed is real issue. Last year we lost about 3-4 would be touchdowns because Gore was easily caught even though he was on a break away. I think we'll see him share more time with Hunter and James. So glad we got James! Such a steal!

It could be argued that Hunter wouldnt have broken the tackles to get as far as Gore did on those plays. I think you're asking Gore to be a perfect runningback..

Gore is one of the only RB's that can not only run you over, but can be slippery as well. Now you're asking him to have breakaway speed?

Just my .02
Originally posted by denali22:
It could be argued that Hunter wouldnt have broken the tackles to get as far as Gore did on those plays. I think you're asking Gore to be a perfect runningback..

Gore is one of the only RB's that can not only run you over, but can be slippery as well. Now you're asking him to have breakaway speed?

Just my .02

Originally posted by denali22:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I think he'll receive about 50-60% of the run plays. Gore has great vision but his lack of speed is real issue. Last year we lost about 3-4 would be touchdowns because Gore was easily caught even though he was on a break away. I think we'll see him share more time with Hunter and James. So glad we got James! Such a steal!

It could be argued that Hunter wouldnt have broken the tackles to get as far as Gore did on those plays. I think you're asking Gore to be a perfect runningback..

Gore is one of the only RB's that can not only run you over, but can be slippery as well. Now you're asking him to have breakaway speed?

Just my .02

Gore was always caught from behind. That's not new from last year. You'll see that from past highlights.
His strength is in breaking tackles and quickness (acceleration). The test of his current ability will be whether he is breaking tackles as he has.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone