There are 133 users in the forums

The acquisition that wasn't

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Perhaps there was another explanation as to the meeting between Peyton and the 49ers , and it wasn't necessarily who dumped whom.
Suppose it went down like this:

"Coach, I appreciate your taking the time to sit down with me...and you too, Trent."

"Our pleasure Peyton. We understand you want top $$ and full control of Offense. We appreciate what you could bring to the table , but we were 2 PR plays away from going to big dance last yr with only Vernon, Crbtre and Frank able to catch passes. We were really close. We have kept our #1 ST and #1 D intact, and will bring in 5 new WRs, plus a scatback(bailout back) and will get good depth in DL and DBs, plus OL and RB plus the WRs. Our problem is what your salary would do to our perfectly honed salary cap. In short, Peyton, much as we would like to sign you, it would have to be for the same amount we are paying our current #1 QB, & you wouldn't have control so it would end up a bad match for us both. "

"Well, I appreciate that Coach, but I just wanted to talk to you two guys because you have built a SB contender from virtually scratch in a yr...and with no TC to boot. I would really appreciate you guys giving me your input on what you would advise me to do as to where i should go. Also, Coach, I watched your teams in college, and it appears you are one of the rare ones that brought the same football to the NFL that you played in college. You both are at the top of your game and I would sincerely appreciate your take on where i would fit best. "

"Peyton, there are a handful of teams where you would be a good fit, and if money is essentially equal, probably the team that gives you the reins and has the most horses to get you to the big game, is the place you want to be. Denver might just be the ticket for you."

Thanks, Coach, and I certainly appreciate your interest in me and also your thots on where I might fit best. Many thanks to you both".

I've already stated that I have no idea who dropped whom, but it seems quite reasonable to me for Peyton to ask Coach and Baalke if he was a fit here, and if not, who they would suggest. Coach Harbaugh and Baalke are stand up guys, and I can very easily see a meeting like this taking place. You all have heard Peyton and he is the consumate gentleman. Neither he , nor B&H, would ever let slip what happened in the interview. I think it very possible Peyton would have been very interested in a) the 49ers interest, and b) if not, who they recommmended. So this gives the "He dropped us" and the "We dropped him" crowds another scenario to chew on. Frankly, I think this is the one( or something like it )that really went down. We're all just guessing, but my money is on this one.

Yup that's exactly how it went down. Meanwhile Alex was in a meeting room with dolphins brass and trying to set up a trip to see Seattle...
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I think Pasodoc's point is well made regarding the cost to other positions. If Smith plays lights out the next few years he may put himself in a similar situation when his contract ends...do we give him competitive money or let him walk and spread the money throughout the team?

As for Manning's ability to deal with the Harbaugh offense...probably be able to coexist but there was no guaranty!
Let him go and start CK if he is ready, if not draft BQB in draft and let him start behind Smith for a few years.

No thanks. If Alex enters beast mode and/or we win a superbowl with him at QB, by the time he's a FA next we'd better re-sign him. Honestly if Alex plays really well this year I'd trade Kaepernick to a QB needy team to see if we can get a Kolb like package(draft picks+starting player from another team)
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Perhaps there was another explanation as to the meeting between Peyton and the 49ers , and it wasn't necessarily who dumped whom.

"Coach, I appreciate your taking the time to sit down with me...and you too, Trent."

"Our pleasure Peyton. We understand you want top $$ and full control of Offense. We appreciate what you could bring to the table , but we were 2 PR plays away from going to big dance last yr with only Vernon, Crbtre and Frank able to catch passes. We were really close. We have kept our #1 ST and #1 D intact, and will bring in 5 new WRs, plus a scatback(bailout back) and will get good depth in DL and DBs, plus OL and RB plus the WRs. Our problem is what your salary would do to our perfectly honed salary cap. In short, Peyton, much as we would like to sign you, it would have to be for the same amount we are paying our current #1 QB, & you wouldn't have control so it would end up a bad match for us both. "

"Well, I appreciate that Coach, but I just wanted to talk to you two guys because you have built a SB contender from virtually scratch in a yr...and with no TC to boot. I would really appreciate you guys giving me your input on what you would advise me to do as to where i should go. Also, Coach, I watched your teams in college, and it appears you are one of the rare ones that brought the same football to the NFL that you played in college. You both are at the top of your game and I would sincerely appreciate your take on where i would fit best. "

"Peyton, there are a handful of teams where you would be a good fit, and if money is essentially equal, probably the team that gives you the reins and has the most horses to get you to the big game, is the place you want to be. Denver might just be the ticket for you."

Thanks, Coach, and I certainly appreciate your interest in me and also your thots on where I might fit best. Many thanks to you both".

I've already stated that I have no idea who dropped whom, but it seems quite reasonable to me for Peyton to ask Coach and Baalke if he was a fit here, and if not, who they would suggest. Coach Harbaugh and Baalke are stand up guys, and I can very easily see a meeting like this taking place. You all have heard Peyton and he is the consumate gentleman. Neither he , nor B&H, would ever let slip what happened in the interview. I think it very possible Peyton would have been very interested in a) the 49ers interest, and b) if not, who they recommmended. So this gives the "He dropped us" and the "We dropped him" crowds another scenario to chew on. Frankly, I think this is the one( or something like it )that really went down. We're all just guessing, but my money is on this one.

hey peyton, we really want you. Alex is average at best and you would put us over the top. We're willing to let Alex talk and sign with Miami (only team interested in him) even if we lose out on you.

Thanks guys, but I choosing Denver.
Amir it coulda been. But you had 3 quality people talking with one another, and I still think my scenario, is the one that actually is closest to what happened.
Amir it coulda been. But you had 3 quality people talking with one another, and I still think my scenario, is the one that actually is closest to what happened.

You really think that's how it went down when Alex was working out for the dolphins (and in contract talks) and trying to go to Seattle (had a visit set up, they called and said no thanks). Would harbaalke truly risk that if they were only half heartedly interested in manning?
Originally posted by Amir:

hey peyton, we really want you. Alex is average at best and you would put us over the top. We're willing to let Alex talk and sign with Miami (only team interested in him) even if we lose out on you.

Or it could've just been like this:
"Hey Peyton, we really want you. You're a top 10 QB of all time and situations like this rarely happen. If not, we'll be okay because we're a great situation for any QB and we know Alex isn't going to sign in Miami unless you sign here."
"Thanks guys, but Elway and Denver offered me the most money. I'm signing with them because Elway was my hero"
"Hey Alex, Peyton's not signing here. Wanna come back?"
"Yeah I'll be over at the facility to sign my contract in 2 hours"
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

maybe, maybe not. But I'd take Peyton over Alex all day, errry day even at that age, injury and money. Besides, Peyton's contract is big money but basically year to year.
Willis, that is exactly what I have thot once we got a look at Tolz, both in SD and once here. I think there are still a couple teams out there that we traded up over, that still want Kap. There are a lot of kap fans and i don't wish to insult any of them, because Kap has a lot to offer. But i agree with you that if alex takes us to the promised land, Kap will get a chance to start elsewhere, (I hope he does), and we get the first rd pick plus maybe a 2nd. OK...two firsts.

maybe, maybe not. But I'd take Peyton over Alex all day, errry day even at that age, injury and money. Besides, Peyton's contract is big money but basically year to year.

26 teams would take Peyton over their QB all day every day though.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yet not one really had much interest in Alex.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

im not understanding your point. I simply stated that if Peyton wanted to be here, we would've signed him. simple as that.
Willis, I have to admit, I DO like your take better than mine. The issue brot up by others about alex in miami, alex going to seattle...heck, any one of us would have done the same thing with B& H chatting up Peyton. I just choose to think the better side of all involved was what came out of this, and i no more fault alex going to miami and thinking on going to seattle , any more than I would Coach talking with Peyton. Really,talke it would have been derilection of duty for our GM/HC NOT to have talked to Peyton. I just think Peyton admired Coach Harbaugh and really wanted to know what Coach thot about him here as well as elsewhere. Many accused B& H of being ungrateful or essentially backstabbers. My bet is Coach kept alex informed after the chat with peyton,and immediately after Peyton chose Denver, alex returned home, skipped the sea chickens, and signed here. In other words, I think Coach did the right thing from start to finish...and I also believe Peyton was interested in knowing where Harbaugh felt Peyton fit best. Coach is well respected league wise, especially by the folks who know football. (ok, you might want to leave Carroll and Schultz off that list)

Suppose it went down like:

"Coach, I'm going to sign with Denver but can you help me jack up my contract?"

"Well, for old time sake, between one QB and another...sure."

or

"Mr. York, I really don't want to fly to the east coast to watch a QB work out that I don't want."

"That's nice coach but I promised my golf buddies that we'd make a run at PM."

"OK, but we don't have to sign him do we?"

"Of course not! They're golf buddies not my parents."
Monster, I was just saying that Coach and Trent HAD to talk to peyton. It would have been a derilection of duty not to have done so. The fact that they had a chat, I can't fault alex for going for a look see in miami, and maybe seattle had things not shaken out so fast. I think some fans thot badly of Coach and Trent talking to Peyton and same for alex talking with miami. My point is, both groups were doing their DUE DILIGENCE. I see nothing shady, nor wrong with either.
Monster, I was just saying that Coach and Trent HAD to talk to peyton. It would have been a derilection of duty not to have done so. The fact that they had a chat, I can't fault alex for going for a look see in miami, and maybe seattle had things not shaken out so fast. I think some fans thot badly of Coach and Trent talking to Peyton and same for alex talking with miami. My point is, both groups were doing their DUE DILIGENCE. I see nothing shady, nor wrong with either.
Im not saying there was anything wrong either. What am saying is why would Harbaalke risk losing their starting qb on just checking the tires of PM? They had a contract offer to Alex for 3yr/24 mil which he was happy with. Why would they jeopardize tht if they didn't want manning too much to begin with? They were doing a mysterious person a favor by driving up Peyton's cost all the while possibly losing Alex? They raised Alex's contract to 3/33 because they were trying to help out an agent? None of that is remotely possible. The fact that Alex was pissed and threatening to fire his agent is all I need to know that Harbaalkes first choice in the whole process was PM. It was much more than due diligence, much more than just kicking the tires. You don't risk having your starting qb in another teams meeting room having contract talks because of due diligence.
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on May 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone