LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

The acquisition that wasn't

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
That is the point I'm trying to make. Peyton made the choice, not us. If Harbaalke had it their way, Peyton would be in red and gold. We offered him a shot at a championship, he came out and said that it was too much pressure. But the Niners were the ones who got dumped on prom night, not manning. And the fact that through the whole process we were willing to let our FA starting QB enter contract talks with another team (Miami) tells me that in THEIR opinion Manning was better for this team.

But not at the money he was demanding. Which is the point of this thread.
Originally posted by English:
That is the point I'm trying to make. Peyton made the choice, not us. If Harbaalke had it their way, Peyton would be in red and gold. We offered him a shot at a championship, he came out and said that it was too much pressure. But the Niners were the ones who got dumped on prom night, not manning. And the fact that through the whole process we were willing to let our FA starting QB enter contract talks with another team (Miami) tells me that in THEIR opinion Manning was better for this team.

But not at the money he was demanding. Which is the point of this thread.

Yeah who knows, we could of gotten him cheaper with paraage
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

And unfortunatly thats the way he will look after hard sack #1 or #2
nfw
I think Pasodoc's point is well made regarding the cost to other positions. If Smith plays lights out the next few years he may put himself in a similar situation when his contract ends...do we give him competitive money or let him walk and spread the money throughout the team?

As for Manning's ability to deal with the Harbaugh offense...probably be able to coexist but there was no guaranty!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I think Pasodoc's point is well made regarding the cost to other positions. If Smith plays lights out the next few years he may put himself in a similar situation when his contract ends...do we give him competitive money or let him walk and spread the money throughout the team?

As for Manning's ability to deal with the Harbaugh offense...probably be able to coexist but there was no guaranty!
Let him go and start CK if he is ready, if not draft BQB in draft and let him start behind Smith for a few years.
[ Edited by juycho on May 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Great post/thread. The average fans might have not thought of all these points

Agree
can i put my lumber in the fire?

i really believe that Peyton did not come here because he doesnt think he can win it all again. Peyton is a QB who is talked about as one of the greats, and having the expectation to win and NOT fullfilling it would take him out of those talks.

in Denver, there is no talk of winning the SB, only - "IF they make the playoffs, then we'd consider that an accomplishment."

if it was just about the money, he woulda signed with the Titans, who offered him ownership (which, correct me if im wrong,im pretty sure that wouldve payed him a lot more money many times over than the Denver deal), but herein lies the same problem, he wouldve been expected to win it all, and win it all now.

anyways, just my thoughts.
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

i really believe that Peyton did not come here because he doesnt think he can win it all again. Peyton is a QB who is talked about as one of the greats, and having the expectation to win and NOT fullfilling it would take him out of those talks.

in Denver, there is no talk of winning the SB, only - "IF they make the playoffs, then we'd consider that an accomplishment."

if it was just about the money, he woulda signed with the Titans, who offered him ownership (which, correct me if im wrong,im pretty sure that wouldve payed him a lot more money many times over than the Denver deal), but herein lies the same problem, he wouldve been expected to win it all, and win it all now.

I agree. He's been in one system his whole career, and that is his comfort level. To put high expectations on him immediately in a new West Coast system at the end of his career was not a situation in which he could be sure he'd excell. It seems counter intuitive to say the great Peyton Manning lacked confidence, but I believe he did given his career stage, the new system, and the SB or looser situation he'd have faced here.
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Let him go and start CK if he is ready, if not draft BQB in draft and let him start behind Smith for a few years.

If CK can develop it will be a nice problem to have. Johnson may be good as well. Walsh killed me by bringing in Young before Montana was done and I hated giving Montana to KC...but that's just one reason I'm not a HC or GM in pro football!
Elway is a horrible exec for the broncos. He is one of those fantasy stat guys. Tebow could have taken the broncos to a another superbowl title and he would still have looked to replace him. He just shot himself in the foot brutally by signing Peyton for that much money not only will he probably not have a winning season next year but the team as a whole will slowly degrade. Peyton just gets to sit back and laugh knowing he took their franchise for all they're worth. I have to ask what his backup plan is though? If Peyton is injured week 2 then what do they do? Do they even have a backup who can take over for him? Wouldn't put it past Elway to put all his eggs in one basket though.

Originally posted by 4t9ers:

I'm not sure the NFL would accept the Titans' talk of giving Manning part ownership, because that'd be a clear violation of the cap unless they counted the money as part of the pay package.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Elway is a horrible exec for the broncos. He is one of those fantasy stat guys. Tebow could have taken the broncos to a another superbowl title and he would still have looked to replace him. He just shot himself in the foot brutally by signing Peyton for that much money not only will he probably not have a winning season next year but the team as a whole will slowly degrade. Peyton just gets to sit back and laugh knowing he took their franchise for all they're worth. I have to ask what his backup plan is though? If Peyton is injured week 2 then what do they do? Do they even have a backup who can take over for him? Wouldn't put it past Elway to put all his eggs in one basket though.

If Peyton gets injured then they cut him and move on. What's the problem there? They protected themselves in the contract so that Peyton has to be healthy and pass physicals each year to collect the money.
I would've taken Manning... Until he showed he doesn't have the heart

You would sign a 90 million dollar QB with a glass neck?

This I wouldnt have even considered it. I was so happy when they said the niners were out of the running.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on May 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Oh no I remember, but I really don't remember an offer set forward to Manning from us. Denvers offer was well publicized, once Elway was willing to overpay and hand over control of the offense to Manning it seemed the light for Harbaalke came on and said yeah hes not worth that kind of sacrifice. But thats just my opinion.

No contract was ever publicized during the process until after he had signed. Just that Denver had more than the other two teams, Niners had the least but a shot at a Lombardi. You are high if you think we weren't going after him

LOL this.

If Peyton wanted to play here, he'd be our starting QB.

END THREAD
Perhaps there was another explanation as to the meeting between Peyton and the 49ers , and it wasn't necessarily who dumped whom.
Suppose it went down like this:

"Coach, I appreciate your taking the time to sit down with me...and you too, Trent."

"Our pleasure Peyton. We understand you want top $$ and full control of Offense. We appreciate what you could bring to the table , but we were 2 PR plays away from going to big dance last yr with only Vernon, Crbtre and Frank able to catch passes. We were really close. We have kept our #1 ST and #1 D intact, and will bring in 5 new WRs, plus a scatback(bailout back) and will get good depth in DL and DBs, plus OL and RB plus the WRs. Our problem is what your salary would do to our perfectly honed salary cap. In short, Peyton, much as we would like to sign you, it would have to be for the same amount we are paying our current #1 QB, & you wouldn't have control so it would end up a bad match for us both. "

"Well, I appreciate that Coach, but I just wanted to talk to you two guys because you have built a SB contender from virtually scratch in a yr...and with no TC to boot. I would really appreciate you guys giving me your input on what you would advise me to do as to where i should go. Also, Coach, I watched your teams in college, and it appears you are one of the rare ones that brought the same football to the NFL that you played in college. You both are at the top of your game and I would sincerely appreciate your take on where i would fit best. "

"Peyton, there are a handful of teams where you would be a good fit, and if money is essentially equal, probably the team that gives you the reins and has the most horses to get you to the big game, is the place you want to be. Denver might just be the ticket for you."

Thanks, Coach, and I certainly appreciate your interest in me and also your thots on where I might fit best. Many thanks to you both".

I've already stated that I have no idea who dropped whom, but it seems quite reasonable to me for Peyton to ask Coach and Baalke if he was a fit here, and if not, who they would suggest. Coach Harbaugh and Baalke are stand up guys, and I can very easily see a meeting like this taking place. You all have heard Peyton and he is the consumate gentleman. Neither he , nor B&H, would ever let slip what happened in the interview. I think it very possible Peyton would have been very interested in a) the 49ers interest, and b) if not, who they recommmended. So this gives the "He dropped us" and the "We dropped him" crowds another scenario to chew on. Frankly, I think this is the one( or something like it )that really went down. We're all just guessing, but my money is on this one.

Share 49ersWebzone