LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

OTA thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"It's very intense," six-year veteran strong safety Donte Whitner said. "I don't know if coach is just trying to run as many plays as we can, but I guarantee you if we're not the team that runs the most plays in mini-camp, we're in the top five."
Link

Love this from Harbaugh. He's working on his guys knowing the plays. Knowing where to go and where to be. Then the speed and physical part comes in at training camp with pads. I swear this guy will get his players in mid season form come September without killing them. Love it.

People criticized Walsh for "easy practices" because he ran plays rather than used drills like the nut cracker. Then he started winning super bowls. LOL! Harbaugh is doing the same thing--why not run the team into shape at the same time you are drilling responsibilities? Love it!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"It's very intense," six-year veteran strong safety Donte Whitner said. "I don't know if coach is just trying to run as many plays as we can, but I guarantee you if we're not the team that runs the most plays in mini-camp, we're in the top five."
Link

Love this from Harbaugh. He's working on his guys knowing the plays. Knowing where to go and where to be. Then the speed and physical part comes in at training camp with pads. I swear this guy will get his players in mid season form come September without killing them. Love it.

People criticized Walsh for "easy practices" because he ran plays rather than used drills like the nut cracker. Then he started winning super bowls. LOL! Harbaugh is doing the same thing--why not run the team into shape at the same time you are drilling responsibilities? Love it!

Is it September yet?!!!!?!!!!!
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
jesus. I can not believe i defended the nutcracker. was i ever that young??
Originally posted by cciowa:
am glad we have several good wide outs(including kyle williams) ahead of the kid right now as he learns the trade. There is no pressure on him to be great in his first year

Agree--Jenkins will be able to develop throughout the year(s) in situations tailored to his success.

We could have drafted a player in the 3rd round if we wanted a 3 year project. 3 years to develop for a 1st round pick is not what that pick is used for.
Originally posted by Joecool:
am glad we have several good wide outs(including kyle williams) ahead of the kid right now as he learns the trade. There is no pressure on him to be great in his first year

Agree--Jenkins will be able to develop throughout the year(s) in situations tailored to his success.

We could have drafted a player in the 3rd round if we wanted a 3 year project. 3 years to develop for a 1st round pick is not what that pick is used for.

Ideally yeah, would want Jenkins at a lower pick. But since the Rams wanted him at the top of the 2nd round, they have to take Jenkins at late 1st. Jenkins will have a few catches in the preseason games, and all of this crap will be quickly forgotten.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Ok, I would be very upset if he was a three year project but i am not sure anyone says that. Maybe i missed that. I just figured that the coaches wanted him, they like him. It may take a year where he can be a factor which is ok cuz right now we got at least 3 guys and 4 if you count kyle who can do the job a helluva lot better than last year.i think the so called "projects" aldon smith, bruce miller have worked out for us with this regime so I am ok with giving them a long leash on the kid. they must see something special in him, there is no need to rush him in there cuz we got good guys ahead of him. thats just the way I see it anyway
Ok, I would be very upset if he was a three year project but i am not sure anyone says that. Maybe i missed that. I just figured that the coaches wanted him, they like him. It may take a year where he can be a factor which is ok cuz right now we got at least 3 guys and 4 if you count kyle who can do the job a helluva lot better than last year.i think the so called "projects" aldon smith, bruce miller have worked out for us with this regime so I am ok with giving them a long leash on the kid. they must see something special in him, there is no need to rush him in there cuz we got good guys ahead of him. thats just the way I see it anyway

I agree...I don't know why I was strictly thinking 3 years. However, he's a 1st rounder and should be contributing and producing some solid stats by the end of year 2.

As for rookies last year: I think they had it much easier than rookies this year. Rookies last year had the benefit of learning at about the same starting point and volume as the veterans whereas this year, the coaches and veteran players started and are practicing at a rate miles ahead of the rookies.

I agree...I don't know why I was strictly thinking 3 years. However, he's a 1st rounder and should be contributing and producing some solid stats by the end of year 2.

As for rookies last year: I think they had it much easier than rookies this year. Rookies last year had the benefit of learning at about the same starting point and volume as the veterans whereas this year, the coaches and veteran players started and are practicing at a rate miles ahead of the rookies.

They missed on a sixth round receiver last year so had to up the anti! The draft is a crap shoot, especially at WR. They signed veterans to play immediately and hope that Jenkins will be a very good receiver after adjusting the the NF--they no doubt believed he had the most upside at the end of round one. This year there were no sure things at WR as there was last year in Green.

Not sure why folks believe a first rounder should automatically start! If they do that does not speak well of your team.
Wrs are usually a 2 year project. First year they don't USUALLY do that great and then the 2nd year they start showing signs.
^ I think they figured that even if AJJ never justifies the draft status, at the very least, he can be quality depth at the position. For a team like ours, that's not really a bad thing, and last season showed everyone how badly we needed that receiver depth. I'd have done things differently, but hey, I'm glad to add to the WR competition and give the kid time to show us what he's got.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ I think they figured that even if AJJ never justifies the draft status, at the very least, he can be quality depth at the position. For a team like ours, that's not really a bad thing, and last season showed everyone how badly we needed that receiver depth. I'd have done things differently, but hey, I'm glad to add to the WR competition and give the kid time to show us what he's got.

I was in favor of picking a couple of WRs deeper in the draft and throwing them both up against the wall and seeing what sticks...but I'm okay with this pick. We'll see how it works out. Sounds like the issue is him picking up the offense..not him having the physical tools. Hell Vernon took half a season to learn the offense...I'm not going to hold a rookie to looking sharp before OTAs are over. It's not even TC yet.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I was in favor of picking a couple of WRs deeper in the draft and throwing them both up against the wall and seeing what sticks...but I'm okay with this pick. We'll see how it works out. Sounds like the issue is him picking up the offense..not him having the physical tools. Hell Vernon took half a season to learn the offense...I'm not going to hold a rookie to looking sharp before OTAs are over. It's not even TC yet.

... but then, we gotta findz some other drama! You have to make a huge issue of this for any of us to have fun! Just DO IT !!!!
Share 49ersWebzone