LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Forbes Report: Harbaugh lowest paid coach in NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jim Harbaugh is arguably among the top five coaches in the NFL. His transformative work with the San Francisco 49ers last season was no fluke. Harbaugh is inventive, a master motivator and just a little bit obsessed with scattering the competition.

He's also underpaid.

We have a few issues with Forbes' list of the highest-paid coaches in sports for 2012, and here's one of them: Harbaugh is the lowest-paid coach in the NFC West.

St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher ($7 million), Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll ($7 million) and the Arizona Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt ($5.8 million) all top Harbaugh, who signed a five-year, $25 million contract in 2011, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

(Let's be real: None of these men recall the inviting/despairing smell of Ramen noodles wafting from the next room.)

Harbaugh won't lose sleep over greenbacks. The man drives a ramshackle blue pickup; owns a limited, modest wardrobe; and doesn't talk about his earnings. As you read this, he is tucked away in a dark room, with last season's NFC Championship Game on loop, searching for answers. Let the rest of the division prance about town with their fat wallets and steak dinners. Harbaugh is burning the midnight oil, probably irritated with somebody, drawing plays on napkins, late for a meal: Totally unsatisfied with what happened last season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82934c1c/article/forbes-49ers-harbaugh-lowestpaid-coach-in-nfc-west
That won't last, but the other three are overpaid. 5 mil is good money for a coach IMO
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Welp, the Rams needed to overpay to get Fisher to choose them. Nobody wants to coach in Seattle and they had to overpay to get a "star" college coach out of a prime position. And Arizona is just f**king stupid.
How the hell is Whisenhunt making more? They are mostly overpaid. Harbaugh deserves the most. He will probably get the most after his next contract.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Welp, the Rams needed to overpay to get Fisher to choose them. Nobody wants to coach in Seattle and they had to overpay to get a "star" college coach out of a prime position. And Arizona is just f**king stupid.

Carroll ran from the Reggie Bush sanctions. He would have taken any money.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Harbaugh over and of those coaches all day every day.

I always thought Jeff Fisher was an overrated coach, the other two I've got more respect for.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How the hell is Whisenhunt making more? They are mostly overpaid. Harbaugh deserves the most. He will probably get the most after his next contract.

Well Whisenhunt did manage to take his team to the playoffs and a Super Bowl, I think he deserves it.
sounds about right...not like he did any thing last year to merit a bigger contract...
Just a matter of time - he'll get the big bucks
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Well Whisenhunt did manage to take his team to the playoffs and a Super Bowl, I think he deserves it.

He's milked one 9-7 season with an unlikely superbowl run far enough. He's been mediocre or worse every other year.

This gives me the same vibes that I had before last season of this being a cheap ass franchise, what a disgrace, pay this man, he is more important than any player we have by a mile.
Originally posted by NinerSquire:
This gives me the same vibes that I had before last season of this being a cheap ass franchise, what a disgrace, pay this man, he is more important than any player we have by a mile.

Lol. The man got paid. Agreed to and is absolutely fine with the amount. Stop trippin homie.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

...Harbaugh won't lose sleep over greenbacks. The man drives a ramshackle blue pickup; owns a limited, modest wardrobe; and doesn't talk about his earnings. As you read this, he is tucked away in a dark room, with last season's NFC Championship Game on loop, searching for answers. Let the rest of the division prance about town with their fat wallets and steak dinners. Harbaugh is burning the midnight oil, probably irritated with somebody, drawing plays on napkins, late for a meal: Totally unsatisfied with what happened last season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82934c1c/article/forbes-49ers-harbaugh-lowestpaid-coach-in-nfc-west

I love the vivid description.

What I love even more is that it is all pretty accurate.
Meh. He was straight out of college. Should we make the super bowl this year, his contract and Baalke's will be torn up and new, more lucrative and long term deals will be signed.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Meh. He was straight out of college. Should we make the super bowl this year, his contract and Baalke's will be torn up and new, more lucrative and long term deals will be signed.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone