There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Terrell Owens wants to return to San Francisco 49ers

80sbaby -

You are not alone in your defense of T.O. -

http://www.terrellowensdefense.org/defense.php?start_from=14
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if he wasn't the problem why did he get cut from other teams when he even had good production?

This is actually a great question.

-Common misconception: TO was not cut by the 49ers. We never had any intention of parting ways with him. But after a paperwork mistake, he was asked for a trade.

-TO made a comment after his last season with the Eagles. He stated "I wasnt the one who got tired in the Superbowl." Funny that he wasnt specific about who. The only reason people knew he was talking about McNabb is because a few other players said that Mcnabb was vomiting in the huddle. So that right there could have been the reason he was cut. Or it could have been the $5M bonus he was due if he wasnt released.

-The Cowboy situation is even more comical. Jerry Jones NEVER cuts players. He didnt cut drug users. He didnt cut Michael Irvin after he stabbed a teammate in the neck with scissors. His release from Dallas was and still is baffling.

So why was TO cut twice? Your guess is as good as mine. But the media says he was cut because of his behavior, which is why you believe that is the case.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on May 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
80sbaby -

You are not alone in your defense of T.O. -

http://www.terrellowensdefense.org/defense.php?start_from=14

Wow. Seriously?

This is a lot of the stuff I have been arguing all morning!!! Even the Jerry Rice examples!! I swear this is not my blog. LOL.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on May 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
a lot of what TO has done is overblown, and some feel even fabricated by the media. on some levels i agree.

the thing with TO is that he put the microscope on himself. It all started with the dallas star incident.... then the celebrations that followed. if he wanted the attention, then he should have understood that he was going to get everything that comes with it. whether or not it is his fault. this team cannot/should not have that kind of circus around the team. the reward is not worth the risk (especially with another headcase already on the team).

Yeah Jerry had his moments too as mentioned above.... questioning John Taylor's work ethic is another example. but he built the reputation for himself of being a class act, leader, etc and comments like those were received in a much better way because of it. TO did not do that.

anyone to say it wasn't TO's fault is in denial...it was on national TV, local TV and newspapers...

if he wasn't the problem why did he get cut from other teams when he even had good production?

i didn't say he had no fault. i just said there's stuff that he does that gets overblown because of the reputation he built for himself. not gonna deny that he's been an a*s to teammates though.
Pretty difficult to cross back over roads where you yourself burned the bridge to get back where you came from.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

-Common misconception: TO was not cut by the 49ers. We never had any intention of parting ways with him. But after a paperwork mistake, he was asked for a trade.

-TO made a comment after his last season with the Eagles. He stated "I wasnt the one who got tired in the Superbowl." Funny that he wasnt specific about who. The only reason people knew he was talking about McNabb is because a few other players said that Mcnabb was vomiting in the huddle. So that right there could have been the reason he was cut. Or it could have been the $5M bonus he was due if he wasnt released.

-The Cowboy situation is even more comical. Jerry Jones NEVER cuts players. He didnt cut drug users. He didnt cut Michael Irvin after he stabbed a teammate in the neck with scissors. His release from Dallas was and still is baffling.

So why was TO cut twice? Your guess is as good as mine. But the media says he was cut because of his behavior, which is why you believe that is the case.

TO was also suspended by the eagles for "conduct detrimental to the team" IMO, in terms of production, TO is worth that $5mil. In Philly's eyes, his production wasn't worth the headaches. that's my conclusion. not because the media told me to think that way.

i defend TO in some cases. but him coming back to SF right now is not a good idea IMO. whether or not you feel it's his fault or not, there IS a huge media circus that follows TO. let's not have that kind of distraction.

So NFL teams are staying away from him because the Media took things out of proportion?

How old are you by the way?
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
I hate wiki, but on this issue of Owens being a malcontent, I think we need to revisit and reconstruct these two situations from both sides:

The Departure:

"Although Owens was eager to leave the 49ers, the 49ers asserted that Owens' previous agent, David Joseph, had missed the deadline to void the final years of his contract with the team. The NFLPA and Owens disputed this assertion, contending that the deadline referred to by the 49ers was not the applicable deadline. On March 4, 2004, San Francisco, believing it still held Owens' rights, attempted to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second round pick in the 2004 draft. However, Owens challenged the 49ers' right to make the deal. Owens assumed that he would become a free agent on March 3, and did not believe that the earlier deadline was applicable. Hence, he negotiated with other teams in advance of his expected free agency, and reached a contract agreement with the Philadelphia Eagles, whose fan base strongly supported Owens in his desire to play for the team. The NFLPA filed a grievance on his behalf.

Before an arbitrator could make a ruling on Owens' grievance, the NFL and the three teams involved in the controversy reached a settlement on March 16, 2004. The Ravens got their second-round pick back from San Francisco, and the 49ers in turn received a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting from the Eagles in exchange for the rights to Owens. Owens' contract with the Eagles was reported to be worth $49 million for seven years, including a $10 million signing bonus."

Garcia incident:

"Coach Steve Mariucci was fired and former Seahawks coach Dennis Erickson took over. The ensuing season in 2003 proved subpar as the 49ers finished 7-9. It was here that Owens decided to leave. Immediately after breaking off all ties to the team, Owens appeared in an interview for Playboy magazine (2004), where he created controversy after insinuating that Garcia was homosexual.[9]

"Garcia responds: BEREA, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Jeff Garcia says a comment made by ex-teammate Terrell Owens implying that he is gay is ridiculous and untrue. Garcia Owens In an interview with Playboy magazine that hits newsstands Friday, Owens was asked if he thinks Garcia is gay. Owens responded: "Like my boy tells me: 'If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat.' "Garcia, who had a contentious relationship with the wide receiver in San Francisco, responded to Owens' comment after practice Wednesday without mentioning the wide receiver by name."It is really a waste of my time to sit here and to have to answer to such ridiculous, untrue comments that are made out there in the world today," Garcia said.He noted that it has been reported that he has a girlfriend and has had girlfriends in the past."So many people know my situation here. It has never been a secret," Garcia said.Owens backed off his comment to Playboy after the Eagles' practice Tuesday, saying, "My thing was I didn't say that he was gay. Like I said, the conversation and interview was loose and from my knowledge I'm not sure if Jeff is gay or not."In the Playboy article, Owens was asked a follow-up question about what he would do if an NFL player admitted he was gay."I probably wouldn't say anything right off the bat," Owens said in the interview. "I'd just see what everyone else has to say. I'd probably keep my distance, and hopefully, he would keep his. If it was a guy who was helping us win ball games, hey, I'd have no problem with it. He can do what he wants to do outside of my everyday life."When they were teammates with the 49ers, the outspoken Owens often complained that Garcia didn't throw to him enough.The 49ers released Garcia and traded Owens to Philadelphia in the offseason."

(ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1856715)

Here is timeline from ESPN on Owens up through his days as a Cowboy:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604695#49ers

Here is the wiki site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens

I think the truth about Owens is somewhere in between him being a hard worker with tremendous pride and passion and a narcissistic personality that often blames and belittles others for the failures of his life. My problem with debates over historical issues (it is what I do) is that we too often rush to take sides, but don't consider that the truth is often somewhere in-between. The reason we do this is because it is not sexy enough. The truth, though, rarely is. Better to say TO is bat-s**t crazy as opposed to saying he is a complicated person that lacks a filter for his mouth, his brain, and apparently for his libido. For every blogger, such as Jordan Taber, that is blind to TO's faults there are equally many blind to his positives. I like Owens. I would like to see him retire with, but not play for, the Niners. I hope he finds peace and does not end up doing true harm to himself.
[ Edited by fropwns on May 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM ]
So NFL teams are staying away from him because the Media took things out of proportion?

Terrell Owens is not an angel. I never said he was, nor am I saying that NFL teams are shying away from him strictly because the media loves to make stories out of TO. I am however saying that the media is partly or as responsible for TO's image as he is himself. They have painted this horrible image of him. Does he say things that he probably shouldnt? Of course. But he doesnt drive drunk. He doesnt rape people. He doesnt murder people. He doesnt get arrested. He simply makes a few comments and has some outrageous touchdown celebrations. Yet if you didnt know any better, the amount of time ESPN spends on him, you would think he was a terrible person or a criminal. Not a hard working, fun loving player who may say some stupid things from time to time.

Terrell Owens is an attention whore, no question. But he is a great player with a spectacular track record of success. The fact that the media follows him around and creates a circus is not entirely his fault. Some teams just dont want that circus following their team. I dont blame those teams.

And why is it important how old I am? I will tell you if you explain why you want to know (granted, my screen name should give you at least a hint.)
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on May 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM ]

Terrell Owens is not an angel. I never said he was, nor am I saying that NFL teams are shying away from him strictly because the media loves to make stories out of TO. I am however saying that the media is partly or as responsible for TO's image as he is himself. They have painted this horrible image of him. Does he say things that he probably shouldnt? Of course. But he doesnt drive drunk. He doesnt rape people. He doesnt murder people. He doesnt get arrested. He simply makes a few comments and has some outrageous touchdown celebrations. Yet if you didnt know any better, the amount of time ESPN spends on him, you would think he was a terrible person or a criminal. Not a hard working, fun loving player who may say some stupid things from time to time.

Terrell Owens is an attention whore, no question. But he is a great player with a spectacular track record of success. The fact that the media follows him around and creates a circus is not entirely his fault. Some teams just dont want that circus following their team. I dont blame those teams.

And why is it important how old I am? I will tell you if you explain why you want to know (granted, my screen name should give you at least a hint.)
The reason i ask is that you should know what we all hear from his mouth and seen what he did live on TV through out the years..Even his behavior off the field of not getting in trouble by the law , like Chris Rock said before "that's what you are suppose to do" couldn't bail him out with his antics....

even Chad Ocho knew there was a line he shouldnt cross and thats why he is still in the league.

i agree with this. there are worse people in the league. relative to other players situations, the circus was created and grew because TO just doesn't know when he needs to just shut up.

The reason i ask is that you should know what we all hear from his mouth and seen what he did live on TV through out the years..Even his behavior off the field of not getting in trouble by the law , like Chris Rock said before "that's what you are suppose to do" couldn't bail him out with his antics....

even Chad Ocho knew there was a line he shouldnt cross and thats why he is still in the league.

The bolded is the problem. A lot of what "we hear from his mouth" we actually didnt hear from his mouth. The media says something, and people take it as absolute truth (see "dispute" with Tony Romo and Jason Witten). So we saw him run to the star and pull a sharpie out of his sock. Is that really that big of a deal?

As far as your Chris Rock rebuttal goes, I think you are missing the point slightly. I am not glorifying TO for not getting arrested or in trouble with the law. I understand you are supposed not get arrested. I was merely stating that with the amount of negative press the media gives TO, you would assume he IS getting arrested or in trouble with the law. The fact that TO gets more negative press than Ben Roethlisberger, Ray Lewis or Dante Stallworth is an absolute joke.
You guys see his twitter pic though?no homos Chiseled out his mind.
id suck him dry