There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith will get 18 QB Sacks or More ?

Aldon Smith will get 18 QB Sacks or More ?

I think he beats last year by two...

I think our secondary will get more INT's thats what I care about. (From QB pressure, and because teams will be behind, because alex smith will be chucking the rock for TD's)
Aldon looks to be a potential perrenial probowler. That said, I would guess he's going to have a hard time replicating his success from last year. He's likely to play every down, which may wear on him causing him to a lose a bit of burst later in games. The longer amount of time on the field will subject his body to greater injury risk. And teams have a year of film on him now and 7 months of offseason time to scheme ways to slow him down.

All that said, I still thinks he can put up 8-10 sacks, which would be a tremendous feat in his first year full time on the job. But I don't think he'll sniff 18 sacks this year.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Lmao I had no idea Jean Claude was in Breakin'
Originally posted by Robert:
Aldon looks to be a potential perrenial probowler. That said, I would guess he's going to have a hard time replicating his success from last year. He's likely to play every down, which may wear on him causing him to a lose a bit of burst later in games. The longer amount of time on the field will subject his body to greater injury risk. And teams have a year of film on him now and 7 months of offseason time to scheme ways to slow him down.

All that said, I still thinks he can put up 8-10 sacks, which would be a tremendous feat in his first year full time on the job. But I don't think he'll sniff 18 sacks this year.
IMO, if that happens it would be a complete flop. 8-10 sacks is fine if your Haralson or Brooks, but that's not game changing production. Thats solid/standard production for a OLB, not top 7 pick. If J.Allen only had 10 sacks we would probably start talking about retirement. A guy like Aldon needs and should be in the mid teens every year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Here's my dream scenario for next season

Aldon Smith 18 QB sacks

Justin Smith 14 QB sacks

Ahmad Brooks 8 QB sacks

Ray Mac 7 QB sacks

Cam Johnson 6 QB Sacks

Parys Haralson 5 QB sacks

Patrick Willis 4 QB sacks

Navarro Bowman 3 QB sacks


this would be the Bad Ass

you fail

Why ? ....I'm sure Willis will be used in some blitz packages , 4 QB Sacks isnt out of the question

and we all know Parys is more effective as a pass rusher in spot duty ...Aldon will get the lions share of snaps at OLB ...Parys could take advantage of a beat down offensive line in the 2nd half and collect 5 sacks in a 16 game schedule
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
IMO, if that happens it would be a complete flop. 8-10 sacks is fine if your Haralson or Brooks, but that's not game changing production. Thats solid/standard production for a OLB, not top 7 pick. If J.Allen only had 10 sacks we would probably start talking about retirement. A guy like Aldon needs and should be in the mid teens every year.

You can't be serious...

Sure we all want big time stats but a guy getting 8-10 sacks a year is terrific production. James Harrison is known as a very good 3-4 OLB but he's rarely over 10 sacks.

More is better no question but 10 sacks a year is very good production.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Somehow this board is truly underestimating how much of a freak Aldon Smith is. He was 22 years old last year, didn't have an offseason of pro coaching and absolutely dominated opposing offensive lineman in his first truly healthy season of football since breaking his leg. 14 sacks without any playing time in weeks 1-3. Football Outsiders most efficient pass rusher in the entire NFL in 2011. 6-4 260 pounds of pure muscle with great quickness and plays just as well over the guard as he does outside. Excellent with his hands and turns speed into power with ease. These types of players do not come around often. I would be extremely disappointed if he did not reach 14 sacks next year.

I'm pretty sure we all hope he goes all out and keeps growing but those numbers are rarely achieved for a reason.

Aldon's reasons for why he can put up big numbers can also be used as reasons why he won't.

Simply put the 49ers defense is very talented. This means that Aldon won't get as many double teams but it also means there are a lot of guys he's fighting for sacks with.

No doubt with his talent and playing behind Justin Smith is a huge advantage - offenses HAVE to account for Justin but they could potentially start doubling both Smiths...in which case the other guys would dominate - Willis, Bowman, Ray Mac and Bowman. Who do you gameplan against?

I do hope Aldon continues to grow and becomes recognized as a premier if not THE premier OLB in the league.

There's potential here to have the top 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB and the top 2(arguably) 3-4 ILB in the game.
I hate to say it, but no. He will have another beast year though.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,520
As a dedicated homer, I voted yay.

As a realist I acknowledge that I do not know how many sacks he will get.

I expect somwhere between 10 and 17 sacks.
Teams started throwing on first down because we had the Run stopping package in there with Aldon Smith starting, he's going to get more opportunities to get the sack numbers. If teams start game planning more for him, it's going to open up more opportunities. The guy is only 22 years old and he's going to get better and stronger. He already has incredible leverage, has a great burst and is a total team player.

Bold prediction.....he leads the league in sacks, because we are playing more teams that can throw the ball well. (Five of the top Qbs) But also we are going to have a better offense so the defense is going to play more.

Can't wait for the season.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Here's my dream scenario for next season

Aldon Smith 18 QB sacks

Justin Smith 14 QB sacks

Ahmad Brooks 8 QB sacks

Ray Mac 7 QB sacks

Cam Johnson 6 QB Sacks

Parys Haralson 5 QB sacks

Patrick Willis 4 QB sacks

Navarro Bowman 3 QB sacks


this would be the Bad Ass

you fail

Why ? ....I'm sure Willis will be used in some blitz packages , 4 QB Sacks isnt out of the question

and we all know Parys is more effective as a pass rusher in spot duty ...Aldon will get the lions share of snaps at OLB ...Parys could take advantage of a beat down offensive line in the 2nd half and collect 5 sacks in a 16 game schedule

Willis is usually kept on the TE in the Bltz situations. 4 is not out of the question for him though.

It will depend on how much Bowman develops in pass d.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Here's my dream scenario for next season

Aldon Smith 18 QB sacks

Justin Smith 14 QB sacks

Ahmad Brooks 8 QB sacks

Ray Mac 7 QB sacks

Cam Johnson 6 QB Sacks

Parys Haralson 5 QB sacks

Patrick Willis 4 QB sacks

Navarro Bowman 3 QB sacks


this would be the Bad Ass

you fail

Why ? ....I'm sure Willis will be used in some blitz packages , 4 QB Sacks isnt out of the question

and we all know Parys is more effective as a pass rusher in spot duty ...Aldon will get the lions share of snaps at OLB ...Parys could take advantage of a beat down offensive line in the 2nd half and collect 5 sacks in a 16 game schedule

Willis is usually kept on the TE in the Bltz situations. 4 is not out of the question for him though.

It will depend on how much Bowman develops in pass d.

and how over much we over power the other teams. It could be a crazy season though.
It's hard for any player in the NFL to accomplish what Aldon Smith did his rookie year. You have to think that his stats are only going to get better, but you can bet that offenses are going to game plan against him more this year. The great thing about this defense is that you have to game plan pretty much every player that takes the field because any one of them has the ability and talent to make a play on the ball, which is definitely going to give him opportunities. With Aldon Smith possessing the right tools and the right attitude behind a great defense, it's difficult to imagine anyone stopping him.
Originally posted by NINER_Dynasty:
It's hard for any player in the NFL to accomplish what Aldon Smith did his rookie year. You have to think that his stats are only going to get better, but you can bet that offenses are going to game plan against him more this year. The great thing about this defense is that you have to game plan pretty much every player that takes the field because any one of them has the ability and talent to make a play on the ball, which is definitely going to give him opportunities. With Aldon Smith possessing the right tools and the right attitude behind a great defense, it's difficult to imagine anyone stopping him.
Now you have to game plan some of the back ups as well since we have so many rotational players.
I dont think he hits 18. Probably around 8-10 sacks because as a full time OLB he is going to have to play pass coverage on some downs and now opposing offenses know they have to account for him so they will definitely target him.