LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

just hearing that Ed Reed will be a free agent next year...apparently the Ravens want him to go out and see what he is offered from other teams. If for some reason they don't bring him back in, I can see the Ravens bringing in Goldson to take his place. (if we don't franchise him again)

I know many feel Reed and Troy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mark Roman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Goldson

but I think at this stage of Dashon career, he is more durable than Reed and Troy. Reed seems to get up slowly every time he lands on the ground hard. And Troy was just on the Radio saying he has like 100 concussions a season...but lies to stay on the field. (to be more specific, he says if feeling dizzy after hit is considered a concussion then he feels players have hundreds of those per season.)
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Memph I never said, lets break the bank to sign him....the only problem I have in this thread or other Goldson ones, are when some either bash the guy personally without really knowing what's going on...or bash the guy's play, to justify their point...from blaming him for trying to get an easy INT or trying to hit a running QB who didn't slide...but dived out the way at the last second.......there are many here who post about this is his first "good" year, and they ignore his 2009 season which solidified his starting role.....he single handedly was a game changer on a number of occasions on that prime time game against the Cardinals.

We've seen how this defense plays without Goldson...with the same front 7 or what ever....but we haven't seen how they play without Alex....so I wouldn't say it clearly a "fact"....in can be debatable.
your FS can be replaced a lot easier then your QB can...that is a fact

depends which QB.,,,the offensive system...and the personal on the offense. I'm just saying I wouldn't say its a fact. And again, when Goldson was not on the field for us..the backups and Whitner got exploited. Dashon and Whitner work well together, thank god we have them for another season.
We had crap behind him which isn't a fair comparison. If the staying in SF is a priority and winning a Superbowl, he needs to take less money.
he has one more year to do so....then I think he'll take that last big contract he would get in his career....this is why I'm not too mad about the situation. I just see that both the 9ers and Goldson are in a position where its understandable for both sides to hold their ground. It just worked itsself out that way...we got better, drafted better, and so on... Goldson is a big Safety (much bigger than Reed and Troy)..who in his 3rd year starting, has shown he is good at reading Elite QBs.
He's not bad by any means but if he is trying to hit top 5 FS money he wont get it here. No player on the D should make more than Willis or J. Smith.
that is understandable...but I've always said that the core of our team at each position was Justin in the front, Willis in the middle, and Dashon in the secondary. I like Rogers, and he impressed me with his tackling ability let alone playmaking ability last year.

I've just always valued having 2 great safeties and ok CBs...instead of overpaying one CB (like we did with Nate or like the Eagles did with Nhambi). So I was glad we brought him back at a respectable contract. I think we have 2 great safeties right now...I know some feel Seattle have a better set in the league...but I need to watch more Seattle games more.

What we should do is move Goldson to SS once Whitner leaves and draft a new more rangy FS. I like Goldson better at SS personally.
What we should do is move Goldson to SS once Whitner leaves and draft a new more rangy FS. I like Goldson better at SS personally.

I think we are getting real good value for Whitner at SS though....so unless it is a super crazy potential guy...sure. But I like Whitner...especially for what we are paying him.
Chris Carter just made an interesting point regarding franchise players not signing their tags right away.....he and Cliff Avril say that you can lose out BIG if you get injured in the last year of your contract, which we all know.....so, one way is to not signed until after first 2 weeks of training camp, where there are two a days....where it is easier get injured before the season starts....so maybe that is what Dashon will do as well. It is not considered a hold out because they are not under contract.
Chris Carter just made an interesting point regarding franchise players not signing their tags right away.....he and Cliff Avril say that you can lose out BIG if you get injured in the last year of your contract, which we all know.....so, one way is to not signed until after first 2 weeks of training camp, where there are two a days....where it is easier get injured before the season starts....so maybe that is what Dashon will do as well. It is not considered a hold out because they are not under contract.

It thought they got rid of two a-days?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

It thought they got rid of two a-days?

well maybe I heard it wrong, but Chris Carter mentioned it...with Cliff just nodding his head, not wanting to obviously admit it. If there are no two a-days anymore, then it must be something else that happens in the first few weeks of training camp.
Fewer workouts and practice. The new deal limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season — one per week through Week 12, with just three more over the last five weeks. Before then, there will be no two-a-day practices during training camp. There will be a limit of 10 organized team activity sessions per team, and all OTA's will begin after May 1.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/nfl-labor-talks/story/how-will-the-new-cba-change-the-nfl

Just wanted to check for myself. It sounds like Chris Carter mis-spoke as these rules are very new.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM ]
how many safeties would u rather have playing centerfield in our D than goldson?
Originally posted by niners420:
how many safeties would u rather have playing centerfield in our D than goldson?

None, well maybe Eric Berry, but Dashon needs a contract and one that is fair to both sides. I think it can be done.
The one thing that concerns me about Goldson is that, if we re-signed him to a long term deal, he'd be 100% focused on just football and doing whatever he can to help us win with winning being the bottom line. Now, I feel like he may gamble more to get more INT's even if it means more big plays allowed or he may go for more big hits instead of just wrapping up to put more electric film out there for other teams to see to maximize the contract he gets next year. Anyone else have this fear?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
He's gonna play his ass off, no doubt. But if he's missing tackles, he knows it'll hurt his pocket.
I think most safeties would think (and probably correctly too) that more INT's and more missed tackles will still get you more money than fewer missed tackles but also fewer INT's. There's no stat for missed tackles but INT's is the big, juicy stat for DB's.
they call him....... The Hawk.....
Two years ago he didn't play well, last year he played really well. Even many people in this same forum were saying to get rid of him before last season. Give him another year and see which Dashon shows up. No reason to drop 6-8 mil on a Safety when not being 100 percent sure he's worth the money.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Two years ago he didn't play well, last year he played really well. Even many people in this same forum were saying to get rid of him before last season. Give him another year and see which Dashon shows up. No reason to drop 6-8 mil on a Safety when not being 100 percent sure he's worth the money.

Yeah cuz 20-30 million dollar gambles arent common.....
Share 49ersWebzone