LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol dude is a probowler and you're ready to kick him to the curb. yet you keep Alex smith's sorry ass around for 7+ years?

Smith wasn't asking for Manning money either. Goldson is an aging safety that had one good year that wants top tier pay. Smith is more important to the team than Goldson, sorry if you don't like hearing it, but it is a fact boner.
Dashon is better at his position, than Alex is at his. The 49ers chose to franchise him at top Free Safety salary, where as they gave Alex one contract, which can very easliy turn into a one year deal....they did this while they still went else where to look for replacements or competition. They didn't do the same with Dashon...they could've easily not franchised him and let him walk and search else where....there were other free agent safeties out there, or they could've replaced him with ( lol...like some at the Webzone would tell you) Spillman, Colin Jones, Rogers....or maybe they shouldn't have let Reggie Smith or Madokie Williams go....since you know...it is all about our front 7 and we can easily just put someone else in there.

Also, Goldson was voted to start for the NFC ProBowl by his peers, other coaches around the league, and fans around the league.....Alex has never been one in his career.....and is still questioned by fans, the national media, and other current players on publicly on national TV...as a legitimate Starting QB in this league.

I wonder what would happen if you asked another NFL team...would you like Alex Smith to replace your starting QB? or would you Like a Starting ProBowl Safety?...lol...I think even Ravens would still take Goldson, and just play him along side Reed...than rather replace Flacco (who played better than Alex in their game).

oh wait, other teams did have a chance to get Alex Smith this offseason.

Oh wait, other teams had a chance at Dashon...any takers? Didn't think so. So he went to the pro bowl..let's break the bank to sign him, we don't need cap space anyway, that's for losers, blow it all for a guy that while he is a good safety, is not a top 5 safety, but pay him top money because you say so. As for who is more important? I would rather have had to go into the season with spillman at fs than CK at qb...can you understand? You act like anyone that doesn't agree with you is stupid, but we have the GM of the year saying Goldson isn't worth the asking price, so what does that say about your opinion?
I admit you make a very good point. But I have conflicting thoughts on this. While Goldson hadn't put up top 5 numbers I do think HIS PLAY and importance to this defense can be matched by only a very few guys at his position. I don't think we should break the bank for him. We have other players to be locked down. But in terms of what he brings to his team I think he is a top 5 safety. I'd rather have Goldson before Spillman any day. Just my thoughts.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for WRATHman44.
here is the Video.... LOOK AT :40 of the video... Goldson had a good read on Eli and took a perfect Angle...the Giants receiver bailed out on the play, Brown continued.. (what if Brown followed the receiver instead???)... how hard is it to understand this s**t?

Have you considered that the rude tone of your posts encourages people to argue with you?

Anyway, I played college ball, and was significantly slower, less coordinated, and less instinctual than any of the guys on our team. I sat through a film session where our FS got reamed for the exact same play. As a safety, it is your job to see the field and play the big picture, while it is CBs job to play his man. If the FS had a CLEAN play on the ball, which he did not, he takes it, otherwise he supports the CB's play (backup the INT or wall of the WR). That's pretty basic football. I know it looks too fast to avoid to you, but if College players can be expected to do it, pros should be better. Granted, NFL players are moving much faster, but they also have greater reflexes, coordination, and football instincts (not to mention better coaching and MUCH more time to hone their craft). Bottom line, CBs get payed top dollar to play their man, breakup passes, and cause turnovers. Safeties are also expected to cause turnovers, but they are also expected to run the secondary. Goldson refers back to his college CB mindset too frequently, IMO.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
lol dude is a probowler and you're ready to kick him to the curb. yet you keep Alex smith's sorry ass around for 7+ years?

Smith wasn't asking for Manning money either. Goldson is an aging safety that had one good year that wants top tier pay. Smith is more important to the team than Goldson, sorry if you don't like hearing it, but it is a fact boner.
Dashon is better at his position, than Alex is at his. The 49ers chose to franchise him at top Free Safety salary, where as they gave Alex one contract, which can very easliy turn into a one year deal....they did this while they still went else where to look for replacements or competition. They didn't do the same with Dashon...they could've easily not franchised him and let him walk and search else where....there were other free agent safeties out there, or they could've replaced him with ( lol...like some at the Webzone would tell you) Spillman, Colin Jones, Rogers....or maybe they shouldn't have let Reggie Smith or Madokie Williams go....since you know...it is all about our front 7 and we can easily just put someone else in there.

Also, Goldson was voted to start for the NFC ProBowl by his peers, other coaches around the league, and fans around the league.....Alex has never been one in his career.....and is still questioned by fans, the national media, and other current players on publicly on national TV...as a legitimate Starting QB in this league.

I wonder what would happen if you asked another NFL team...would you like Alex Smith to replace your starting QB? or would you Like a Starting ProBowl Safety?...lol...I think even Ravens would still take Goldson, and just play him along side Reed...than rather replace Flacco (who played better than Alex in their game).

Oh wait, other teams had a chance at Dashon...any takers? Didn't think so. So he went to the pro bowl..let's break the bank to sign him, we don't need cap space anyway, that's for losers, blow it all for a guy that while he is a good safety, is not a top 5 safety, but pay him top money because you say so. As for who is more important? I would rather have had to go into the season with spillman at fs than CK at qb...can you understand? You act like anyone that doesn't agree with you is stupid, but we have the GM of the year saying Goldson isn't worth the asking price, so what does that say about your opinion?
I admit you make a very good point. But I have conflicting thoughts on this. While Goldson hadn't put up top 5 numbers I do think HIS PLAY and importance to this defense can be matched by only a very few guys at his position. I don't think we should break the bank for him. We have other players to be locked down. But in terms of what he brings to his team I think he is a top 5 safety. I'd rather have Goldson before Spillman any day. Just my thoughts.

Did you think the same thing about Franklin last year? My point is, the coaches have a much better idea of what we will get out of the backups than the fans do, since backups show their stuff at practice.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Did you think the same thing about Franklin last year? My point is, the coaches have a much better idea of what we will get out of the backups than the fans do, since backups show their stuff at practice.
Hell no. I really thought Franklin was full of himself, or listening to the wrong people. I honestly thought Issac would be a good stand-in. He's proved better than that. And you are right, the coaches have a better idea than we do. I hope I didn't give a different impression. But Goldson would not have been franchised if the coaching staff thought he was just a top-10 guy either. With what the 49ers have on defense I'm sure we would not have had a problem sighing a comparable replacement, if that's what the coaching staff felt. But I don't think they felt that way.
Hell no. I really thought Franklin was full of himself, or listening to the wrong people. I honestly thought Issac would be a good stand-in. He's proved better than that. And you are right, the coaches have a better idea than we do. I hope I didn't give a different impression. But Goldson would not have been franchised if the coaching staff thought he was just a top-10 guy either. With what the 49ers have on defense I'm sure we would not have had a problem sighing a comparable replacement, if that's what the coaching staff felt. But I don't think they felt that way.

I think hey could have franchised him to keep him hungry, or to use him as a stopgap for the next 1-2 years to prepare a replacement. I like him okay as a player, but I think he has a lot of negative plays, and I think he greatly overvalues his monetary worth. I worry that a guy who always has dollar signs in his eyes will find less motivation when he has a fat contract. There are a lot of reasons to franchise a guy that do not require valuing him as a top 5 guy, IMO. In this case, I would say they have decent talent, but no experience in the backups, so they could be concerned about immediate play at the position. JMO, I could be wrong.

Whether they think in terms of top 10 or not, 6 million bucks is 6 million bucks.

I don't think the F/O had to look further than that. That's a fair price for keeping a good safety plus the benefit of NOT having to hand over lots of guarantees ($).
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
here is the Video.... LOOK AT :40 of the video... Goldson had a good read on Eli and took a perfect Angle...the Giants receiver bailed out on the play, Brown continued.. (what if Brown followed the receiver instead???)... how hard is it to understand this s**t?

Have you considered that the rude tone of your posts encourages people to argue with you?

Anyway, I played college ball, and was significantly slower, less coordinated, and less instinctual than any of the guys on our team. I sat through a film session where our FS got reamed for the exact same play. As a safety, it is your job to see the field and play the big picture, while it is CBs job to play his man. If the FS had a CLEAN play on the ball, which he did not, he takes it, otherwise he supports the CB's play (backup the INT or wall of the WR). That's pretty basic football. I know it looks too fast to avoid to you, but if College players can be expected to do it, pros should be better. Granted, NFL players are moving much faster, but they also have greater reflexes, coordination, and football instincts (not to mention better coaching and MUCH more time to hone their craft). Bottom line, CBs get payed top dollar to play their man, breakup passes, and cause turnovers. Safeties are also expected to cause turnovers, but they are also expected to run the secondary. Goldson refers back to his college CB mindset too frequently, IMO.
as soon as Eli motioned to throw, Goldson took 2-3 steps forward and jumped for the ball....again, what did you expect him to do there? So would you also say that when Goldson was reading Drew Brees' eyes, where he baited him into a INT, that was a mistake as well? Has Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu never collided with their fellow players before, trying to make a play on a ball after a couple of steps.....heck against a SuperBowl winning QB mind you...I don't think you are afforded to hesitate one bit, when you have a good read on a QB of that caliber.

Terrell Brown was way more stretched out trying to get to that ball...Goldson didn't have to make much movement. Again, I don't blame either guy...our Defense was just so locked in that day.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM ]

Memph I never said, lets break the bank to sign him....the only problem I have in this thread or other Goldson ones, are when some either bash the guy personally without really knowing what's going on...or bash the guy's play, to justify their point...from blaming him for trying to get an easy INT or trying to hit a running QB who didn't slide...but dived out the way at the last second.......there are many here who post about this is his first "good" year, and they ignore his 2009 season which solidified his starting role.....he single handedly was a game changer on a number of occasions on that prime time game against the Cardinals.

We've seen how this defense plays without Goldson...with the same front 7 or what ever....but we haven't seen how they play without Alex....so I wouldn't say it clearly a "fact"....in can be debatable.
Memph I never said, lets break the bank to sign him....the only problem I have in this thread or other Goldson ones, are when some either bash the guy personally without really knowing what's going on...or bash the guy's play, to justify their point...from blaming him for trying to get an easy INT or trying to hit a running QB who didn't slide...but dived out the way at the last second.......there are many here who post about this is his first "good" year, and they ignore his 2009 season which solidified his starting role.....he single handedly was a game changer on a number of occasions on that prime time game against the Cardinals.

We've seen how this defense plays without Goldson...with the same front 7 or what ever....but we haven't seen how they play without Alex....so I wouldn't say it clearly a "fact"....in can be debatable.
your FS can be replaced a lot easier then your QB can...that is a fact
Originally posted by jreff22:

depends which QB.,,,the offensive system...and the personal on the offense. I'm just saying I wouldn't say its a fact. And again, when Goldson was not on the field for us..the backups and Whitner got exploited. Dashon and Whitner work well together, thank god we have them for another season.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM ]

depends which QB.,,,the offensive system...and the personal on the offense. I'm just saying I wouldn't say its a fact. And again, when Goldson was not on the field for us..the backups and Whitner got exploited. Dashon and Whitner work well together, thank god we have them for another season.
We had crap behind him which isn't a fair comparison. If the staying in SF is a priority and winning a Superbowl, he needs to take less money.

We had crap behind him which isn't a fair comparison. If the staying in SF is a priority and winning a Superbowl, he needs to take less money.
he has one more year to do so....then I think he'll take that last big contract he would get in his career....this is why I'm not too mad about the situation. I just see that both the 9ers and Goldson are in a position where its understandable for both sides to hold their ground. It just worked itsself out that way...we got better, drafted better, and so on... Goldson is a big Safety (much bigger than Reed and Troy)..who in his 3rd year starting, has shown he is good at reading Elite QBs.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM ]

he has one more year to do so....then I think he'll take that last big contract he would get in his career....this is why I'm not too mad about the situation. I just see that both the 9ers and Goldson are in a position where its understandable for both sides to hold their ground. It just worked itsself out that way...we got better, drafted better, and so on... Goldson is a big Safety (much bigger than Reed and Troy)..who in his 3rd year starting, has shown he is good at reading Elite QBs.
He's not bad by any means but if he is trying to hit top 5 FS money he wont get it here. No player on the D should make more than Willis or J. Smith.
No

He's not bad by any means but if he is trying to hit top 5 FS money he wont get it here. No player on the D should make more than Willis or J. Smith.
that is understandable...but I've always said that the core of our team at each position was Justin in the front, Willis in the middle, and Dashon in the secondary. I like Rogers, and he impressed me with his tackling ability let alone playmaking ability last year.

I've just always valued having 2 great safeties and ok CBs...instead of overpaying one CB (like we did with Nate or like the Eagles did with Nhambi). So I was glad we brought him back at a respectable contract. I think we have 2 great safeties right now...I know some feel Seattle have a better set in the league...but I need to watch more Seattle games more.
Share 49ersWebzone