LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'm glad we didn't sign him to an extension. Prove yourself at the pro-bowl level one more year and then get paid. One year is not enough to land a $8M per year contract.

+1

An elite safety would have noticed the bright red uniform of # 25 and not try being the hero by hogging the INT. His ego and greed for the ball wouldn't allow Brown to make the big play... so looks like no one gets the big play.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm glad we didn't sign him to an extension. Prove yourself at the pro-bowl level one more year and then get paid. One year is not enough to land a $8M per year contract.

+1

An elite safety would have noticed the bright red uniform of # 25 and not try being the hero by hogging the INT. His ego and greed for the ball wouldn't allow Brown to make the big play... so looks like no one gets the big play.

Don't mean to nitpick Goldson esp. for trying to make a play but this play is exactly like in baseball where there is a popup in the short outfield where a Shortstop turns and runs with his back to home plate focusing on the catch over his shoulder the entire way while an outfielder with better visual perspective and positioning is also approaching. It's a bang bang play but Goldson is the only one who has the entire play in front of him and can either break on the ball or back off if Brown has the beat on it. Period. Brown never saw it coming and Goldson was playing for the INT. It happens... just happy Goldson was making a break on the ball rather than the WR. The fact that it happened twice in the same game? He needs to learn from his mistakes or communicate with his DB's on like-plays.

PS: The good news is that he read the play correctly but unfortunately he JUMPED while moving forward to make the INT and therefore, couldn't have pulled up even if he wanted too and Brown got the blindside brunt of it. No need to jump there VD...feet on the ground and that's an INT and even then, may have been able to run through it altogether, make the INT, run it back and avoid the collision altogether.

The biggest issue I had on this play is what happened next...Brock's nice outside coverage (off the bench) on a simple post route TD to Manningham with ZERO inside S help.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lol dude is a probowler and you're ready to kick him to the curb. yet you keep Alex smith's sorry ass around for 7+ years?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

+1

Sorry, I had no problem with him going after that INT. It was just an unfortunate play - and a clear indication that it wasn't our day.

I like Goldson, but I'm not willing to hand down $8M to a safety who has had one really good year. He can play at with the tag - prove it one more year - and then get paid that contract. Nothing wrong with that - and I believe that's how Niners brass felt
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol dude is a probowler and you're ready to kick him to the curb. yet you keep Alex smith's sorry ass around for 7+ years?

Smith wasn't asking for Manning money either. Goldson is an aging safety that had one good year that wants top tier pay. Smith is more important to the team than Goldson, sorry if you don't like hearing it, but it is a fact boner.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Smith wasn't asking for Manning money either. Goldson is an aging safety that had one good year that wants top tier pay. Smith is more important to the team than Goldson, sorry if you don't like hearing it, but it is a fact boner.

Dude's 27!! Ageing?!!!
Sorry, I had no problem with him going after that INT. It was just an unfortunate play - and a clear indication that it wasn't our day.

I like Goldson, but I'm not willing to hand down $8M to a safety who has had one really good year. He can play at with the tag - prove it one more year - and then get paid that contract. Nothing wrong with that - and I believe that's how Niners brass felt

No, I pretty well agree with your first sentence. Just said that to see if someone was gonna come outta their hole and play.

For the latter part, I wouldn't be upset in the least if Goldson has another good year and we lock him up to a long-term deal. But like you said... right now? Best thing for the team is to let him play under the 6 mil tag.

Dashon is better at his position, than Alex is at his. The 49ers chose to franchise him at top Free Safety salary, where as they gave Alex one contract, which can very easliy turn into a one year deal....they did this while they still went else where to look for replacements or competition. They didn't do the same with Dashon...they could've easily not franchised him and let him walk and search else where....there were other free agent safeties out there, or they could've replaced him with ( lol...like some at the Webzone would tell you) Spillman, Colin Jones, Rogers....or maybe they shouldn't have let Reggie Smith or Madokie Williams go....since you know...it is all about our front 7 and we can easily just put someone else in there.

Also, Goldson was voted to start for the NFC ProBowl by his peers, other coaches around the league, and fans around the league.....Alex has never been one in his career.....and is still questioned by fans, the national media, and other current players on publicly on national TV...as a legitimate Starting QB in this league.

I wonder what would happen if you asked another NFL team...would you like Alex Smith to replace your starting QB? or would you Like a Starting ProBowl Safety?...lol...I think even Ravens would still take Goldson, and just play him along side Reed...than rather replace Flacco (who played better than Alex in their game).

oh wait, other teams did have a chance to get Alex Smith this offseason.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:04 AM ]
Originally posted by English:

Dude's 27!! Ageing?!!!
you don't want to hear his opinion about our GM of the year....trust me.
Originally posted by AlohaBruh:
Another smart move by our GM....

Agree with both of these two posts. If you want top 5 money, fine. Show me you're a top 5 player in more than one season.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by AlohaBruh:
Another smart move by our GM....

Agree with both of these two posts. If you want top 5 money, fine. Show me you're a top 5 player in more than one season.
You don't think he did it in 2010? Seems to me he did it 2 season in a row.

I think he's at least earned a long-term deal. Now at what price is a different question. I think he should have signed the deal last season. Do I think the FO is trying to devalue him? Yep!! Do I think he should have signed the deal offered this season? Yep!! I think in the long-run he's gonna loose. But I think in the short-run (and maybe long-run) the 49ers will loose as well. I just don't think he's as replaceable as some may think.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Dashon is better at his position, than Alex is at his. The 49ers chose to franchise him at top Free Safety salary, where as they gave Alex one contract, which can very easliy turn into a one year deal....they did this while they still went else where to look for replacements or competition. They didn't do the same with Dashon...they could've easily not franchised him and let him walk and search else where....there were other free agent safeties out there, or they could've replaced him with ( lol...like some at the Webzone would tell you) Spillman, Colin Jones, Rogers....or maybe they shouldn't have let Reggie Smith or Madokie Williams go....since you know...it is all about our front 7 and we can easily just put someone else in there.

Also, Goldson was voted to start for the NFC ProBowl by his peers, other coaches around the league, and fans around the league.....Alex has never been one in his career.....and is still questioned by fans, the national media, and other current players on publicly on national TV...as a legitimate Starting QB in this league.

I wonder what would happen if you asked another NFL team...would you like Alex Smith to replace your starting QB? or would you Like a Starting ProBowl Safety?...lol...I think even Ravens would still take Goldson, and just play him along side Reed...than rather replace Flacco (who played better than Alex in their game).

oh wait, other teams did have a chance to get Alex Smith this offseason.

Oh wait, other teams had a chance at Dashon...any takers? Didn't think so. So he went to the pro bowl..let's break the bank to sign him, we don't need cap space anyway, that's for losers, blow it all for a guy that while he is a good safety, is not a top 5 safety, but pay him top money because you say so. As for who is more important? I would rather have had to go into the season with spillman at fs than CK at qb...can you understand? You act like anyone that doesn't agree with you is stupid, but we have the GM of the year saying Goldson isn't worth the asking price, so what does that say about your opinion?
O

Dude's 27!! Ageing?!!![/quote you don't want to hear his opinion about our GM of the year....trust me.

So what age is too old to warrant a contract extension? Or maybe i should say at what age does a DB's physical skills begin to go down hill so as to work against them in negotiations for future deals, be they a long term top tier player or somebody in golddon's position?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
O

Dude's 27!! Ageing?!!![/quote you don't want to hear his opinion about our GM of the year....trust me.

So what age is too old to warrant a contract extension? Or maybe i should say at what age does a DB's physical skills begin to go down hill so as to work against them in negotiations for future deals, be they a long term top tier player or somebody in golddon's position?

I thought he was 29, that is starting to get too old for long term big money contracts. I like Goldson, but not as much as he likes himself. The dumbass is going to get tagged twice then dumped if he isn't careful and at 29 years old, he will have an even harder time getting what the team is offering.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
O

I thought he was 29, that is starting to get too old for long term big money contracts. I like Goldson, but not as much as he likes himself. The dumbass is going to get tagged twice then dumped if he isn't careful and at 29 years old, he will have an even harder time getting what the team is offering.

By the time next season starts he will be 29
Share 49ersWebzone