There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

for those who say he is "not even good" or what ever, if he ask for a trade you should be perfectly fine with that right? i was ok if we just tagged him for this year, because that is just how football works....he can only control playing well again and going from there....but the more i think about it he is getting closer to 30, and this is his last chance to get big contract in this league and every year that passes he is missing out on alot of potential money he could get somewhere else....or maybe there is no team that would give him what he wants, i think there is a team out there that would give that much money after last season.......so with all of that, with time wasting....i think i understand why players hold out or request trades. if he requested a trade and we got a 6th round pick for him, those in this thread should who say he is not good should be perfectly fine with that.....but forsome reason i have a feeling that those same fans who nitpick his play, would also bash him for asking a trade or what not....its either or.......either you believe the bs that comes out your mouth, or you some spreading bs. so again, if i were him i'd request a trade.......sure some can say that the 9ers front 7 is not going to trave with him.....first you shouldn't care, he is not good anyway let him do what he wants....second, apparently it is easy to find free safeties so we should be fine either and we will get a draft pick along with it.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by THEB:
He ruined TWO INTs vs the giants by running into his own teammates. He should be just as hated as Kyle Williams.

The fact that you hold this opinion demonstrates to everyone that you have A) never played football before in your life and/or B) dont have a general understanding of the speed of the game.

no that doesnt
there is a thing called communication. Hes the back up on both times. Those were High school mistakes. If you cannot control your speed then you don't deserve to even be on a team. there is a reason why he did not get his contract.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
if he requested a trade and we got a 6th round pick for him

If he's really THAT good, why only a 6th round pick in trade for him?

( and I think most have stated that he's good... just not 8 mil per good )
for those who say he is "not even good" or what ever, if he ask for a trade you should be perfectly fine with that right? i was ok if we just tagged him for this year, because that is just how football works....he can only control playing well again and going from there....but the more i think about it he is getting closer to 30, and this is his last chance to get big contract in this league and every year that passes he is missing out on alot of potential money he could get somewhere else....or maybe there is no team that would give him what he wants, i think there is a team out there that would give that much money after last season.......so with all of that, with time wasting....i think i understand why players hold out or request trades. if he requested a trade and we got a 6th round pick for him, those in this thread should who say he is not good should be perfectly fine with that.....but forsome reason i have a feeling that those same fans who nitpick his play, would also bash him for asking a trade or what not....its either or.......either you believe the bs that comes out your mouth, or you some spreading bs. so again, if i were him i'd request a trade.......sure some can say that the 9ers front 7 is not going to trave with him.....first you shouldn't care, he is not good anyway let him do what he wants....second, apparently it is easy to find free safeties so we should be fine either and we will get a draft pick along with it.

I think most would want to see back to back years before giving a big contract.....same with Alex, Bowman, Brown, and Jacobs

Most wanted to pay Franklin a heap of cash and I'm glad we didnt....need to see consistency. Hell even Crabs needs more of it to be paid a substantial increase come contract time.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
If he's really THAT good, why only a 6th round pick in trade for him?

( and I think most have stated that he's good... just not 8 mil per good )

If we tag him next year I think he would hold out because that would mean he played on 1 year 2 mil, 1 year 6.21 mil and then 1 year 7.5 mil and he would be 31 before playing for his new team. I bet people would all of a sudden be mad that we got say a mid to low round pick even though a good chunk would rather see him gone. Back to the value you won't get much and just because a team offers a 6th or 5th or whatever doesn't mean he isn't any good. Look at the bites on Mike Wallace this year. Sure he wanted a big contract but rarely do team shell out high picks for a restricted free agent. Players aren't going for what they are worth.

If he does ask for a trade....cool. Lets see what he's worth out there, not only draft pick wise but lets see if any team out there thinks he worth what goldson thinks he's worth.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I think most would want to see back to back years before giving a big contract.....same with Alex, Bowman, Brown, and Jacobs

Most wanted to pay Franklin a heap of cash and I'm glad we didnt....need to see consistency. Hell even Crabs needs more of it to be paid a substantial increase come contract time.

Doesn't mean Franklin wouldn't have succeed if we gave him a big contract. Just because he didn't do anything for New Orleans doesn't mean he wouldn't have done well in a system he had already succeeded in. Although, I would agree there are some doubts about him being one of those guys who gets lazy after a big pay day. I hear you though ideally you want them to prove themselves more than one year. Problem with Goldson is if he proves himself this year and by some miracle plays next year for us on a tag deal and proves himself again he will want 50 million then at 31 years old before playing the 1st season of that say 5 year deal. Might be too late to sign him long term if we tag him again next year. Would maybe have to lower it to a 4 year deal which he probably wouldn't go for.

Edit: By trading him I mean next year... no way we trade him this year unless someone offered us like 2 1sts or a 1st and 3rd.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM ]

2x post
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
If we tag him next year I think he would hold out

Well, let him hold out then. For him, it would be career suicide at age 29 and heading to 30 after not playing the year before. But after further thought? No... just one tag this year. If he plays great football and really wants to stay? Then we talk. If, as I suspect, he wants to hit FA at 29 and take his chances? Fine.

Doesn't mean Franklin wouldn't have succeed if we gave him a big contract.

But what it does mean is that said player wasn't worth nearly what he thought he was... and that there is successful life in a youngster to replace the vet that thinks he is worth far more than he really is.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Doesn't mean Franklin wouldn't have succeed if we gave him a big contract. Just because he didn't do anything for New Orleans doesn't mean he wouldn't have done well in a system he had already succeeded in. Although, I would agree there are some doubts about him being one of those guys who gets lazy after a big pay day. I hear you though ideally you want them to prove themselves more than one year. Problem with Goldson is if he proves himself this year and by some miracle plays next year for us on a tag deal and proves himself again he will want 50 million then at 31 years old before playing the 1st season of that say 5 year deal. Might be too late to sign him long term if we tag him again next year. Would maybe have to lower it to a 4 year deal which he probably wouldn't go for.

Edit: By trading him I mean next year... no way we trade him this year unless someone offered us like 2 1sts or a 1st and 3rd.

I think the point on the Franklin thing is that he was much easier to replace than most people thought, and the DL was even better after he split. If this FO doesn't think Goldson is worth top money, I trust them. He's fun to watch, but I tend to agree that he is not a top safety. I don't think anyone here thinks he stinks, but there are obvious areas where he could be more consistent, and many posters have brought those areas up.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
That past part is impossible. As frustrating as him running into his own teammates at times, he did cause a lot of havoc on opposin players last year. However in the away Arizona game he laid out aldon smith when the QB (kolb?) scrambled out. Aldon looked a little shaken on that hit. Also on the long fitzgerald TD , Larry grant was in the process of wrapping him up when Goldson came through and hit him off allowing fitz to break loose.

Yeah, those are most of Goldson's bad plays on the year but Whitner had some of those plays as well.. so did most of our other players on defense and the rest of the league. Heck, even the legend Ronnie Lott I am sure hurt his own guys accidentally many times. Point being it happens to all.... I'm not saying you monster but for those that said Goldson did more harm than good last year I totally disagree. Mark Roman was one who did more harm than good... not Goldson.

I agree, Goldson really impressed me with his play last year. And yea I guess it comes with the territory that when you lay the wood like he does that there is bound to be some friendly fire. He was definitely an integral part of our D last year and I definitely would rather have him than anyone else we have behind him
Not worth $8 million a year. I like him, just not that much.
Another smart move by our GM....
  • THEB
  • Veteran
The fact that you hold this opinion demonstrates to everyone that you have A) never played football before in your life and/or B) dont have a general understanding of the speed of the game.

I was a tight end in Highschool for the #2 school in the country (Long Beach Poly Highschool), and had scouts at my games, then i tore my rotary cuff and ended my "career". Please dont assume things you dont know.

The fact that he was the secondary cover man on those plays alone proves that it was his fault. he should have been aware of his corners and recognized that they were in position to make a play. In stead he tried to go superstar mode and take plays that weren't his.
Originally posted by THEB:

I was a tight end in Highschool for the #2 school in the country (Long Beach Poly Highschool), and had scouts at my games, then i tore my rotary cuff and ended my "career". Please dont assume things you dont know.

The fact that he was the secondary cover man on those plays alone proves that it was his fault. he should have been aware of his corners and recognized that they were in position to make a play. In stead he tried to go superstar mode and take plays that weren't his.

This all day long. Like I said, he's a good player, but he's not a top safety and he's got plenty of room to improve. Overplaying is most definitely something to improve on.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home