There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/No-multi-year-deal-for-Goldson?blockID=741142&feedID=5936
"There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon," agent Ben Dogra, who represents Goldson, told CSNBayArea.com via text message.

I think Dashon is crazy for walking away from the deal but I am thinking he isn't even there and told his agent to get me x million or walk away.

The 49ers also reserve the right to tag Goldson as their franchise player again next season. The team could lock up Goldson for the 2013 season at $7.45 million -- 120 percent of his 2012 salary.

I'd tag him again if no long term deal but I bet he would hold out. If we got him in 2013 for that price I'd be happy and then probably let him go. He would be 30 or so by the time he'd be a free agent in 2014.

The agent twitted his fail.
As much as I love Goldson, I like Bowman even more. Let Goldson walk and try and sign Bowman to a long term deal. Breaking up the tandem of Willis and Bowman may hurt more than just losing Goldson. We have capable safeties or can get one through free agency or the draft.

Anyone we put into this defense at safety will thrive.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Oh man, that's awesome news then. Even better than I thought. Yep. Tag him on a year by year, and likely wave g'bye after 2013. Donatell can develop a replacement by then.

Usually I agree with you oldman but I disagree this time. Sure it would be ideal to tag him again next year but I would bet he would hold out. If he wouldn't like I said it would be nice to have him for 2 more years and he would be 30 so I'd probably move on if he still wanted like a 5 year deal. Maybe I would give him a 3. Either way I think our best bet was to sign him long term. I guess it's not over and we can negotiate after our last game of the season. We get to try him out some more so there is some good from it. Problem is his price might go up. We don't want his price to go down and have him have a bad year. Anyways, if I am Goldson I take the deal... you'd think he would have learned from losing 23 million last year. For our sake hope he plays outstanding and his price goes up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Oh man, that's awesome news then. Even better than I thought. Yep. Tag him on a year by year, and likely wave g'bye after 2013. Donatell can develop a replacement by then.

Usually I agree with you oldman but I disagree this time. Sure it would be ideal to tag him again next year but I would bet he would hold out. If he wouldn't like I said it would be nice to have him for 2 more years and he would be 30 so I'd probably move on if he still wanted like a 5 year deal. Maybe I would give him a 3. Either way I think our best bet was to sign him long term. I guess it's not over and we can negotiate after our last game of the season. We get to try him out some more so there is some good from it. Problem is his price might go up. We don't want his price to go down and have him have a bad year. Anyways, if I am Goldson I take the deal... you'd think he would have learned from losing 23 million last year. For our sake hope he plays outstanding and his price goes up.

All good. Can't agree on everything.

Said this before, but I do like what Goldson brings to the D. I just don't trust him though... not with a ton of guaranteed money. I think he may be another "Franklin" type of player that we can do without, if need be. I am glad we tagged him for this year... but don't ultimately know that I'd even want him back next year. I really think he's a 5-6 mil per year kind of talent. I also could be wrong, but that's the beauty of the situation. No one really can know for sure.

As was said... our cap is getting awfully tight. We just can't afford to hang onto EVERYONE... some guys just have to move on and be replaced.
All good. Can't agree on everything.

Said this before, but I do like what Goldson brings to the D. I just don't trust him though... not with a ton of guaranteed money. I think he may be another "Franklin" type of player that we can do without, if need be. I am glad we tagged him for this year... but don't ultimately know that I'd even want him back next year. I really think he's a 5-6 mil per year kind of talent. I also could be wrong, but that's the beauty of the situation. No one really can know for sure.

As was said... our cap is getting awfully tight. We just can't afford to hang onto EVERYONE... some guys just have to move on and be replaced.

There is probably a bigger risk replacing him than just signing him long term. Although, I don't necessarily think signing Goldson means Bowman is gone but I do agree the cap is getting tighter with more and more players playing well and giving out long term extensions. If Goldson isn't back I use a 1st round pick on safety and that is risky as heck because it's usually not a position rookies can come in and instantly play well. Don't think there are any other FAs out there and not sure Spillman or Robinson are the answer. I guess we just have to enjoy him this year and enjoy this team because it might be the last we see of some of these guys. It's going to get tough with Justin, Bowman, Manningham, Brown, Moss, Walker, Sopoaga, RJF, Whitner, Gooden, Grant, Goldson, etc being free agents within the next few years. We'll see after next season's last game if we can work something out with him otherwise I'd tag him and see if someone will trade. Maybe we get a trade, maybe he sits out... Best case scenario we get to try him this year and next year at the 7.25 or whatever it was. Then move on if need be.. at least we would have time to get a replacement or have a plan. (although we probably already do)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM ]
So, two ways this affects his play this season:

• Becomes a liability at safety. Will be let go.

• Stays solid and even steps up his game. Will have a chance to sign a long-term deal... somewhere.

Either way, I don't think he will be here for the 2013 season.
For once, I guess the difference for me is that I am trusting these coaches to know what they have in the youngsters. If they believe they can whip them into shape? or whip a rd 1-2 rookie safety into shape? Then, fine. I just get this sneaking suspicion that after Goldson makes big long-term money, the team that signed him will be doing this before long ---> .
Goldson is not that good I honestly don't understand why he receives so much fan attention
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
That's too bad. Judging by how the redskins signed morgan I think another team will pay him what he wants next year.

Draft tj mcdonald
Originally posted by danimal:
Goldson is not that good I honestly don't understand why he receives so much fan attention

Agreed.

The fact that people were talking about him possibly being the highest paid S in the NFL is laughable. He improved under the new coaching staff last year, but he's still just a heavy hitter who goes for the pick every time. He needs to vastly improve his coverage ability if he wants that kind of long term money.
Ooops
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM ]
I'm perfectly fine with Goldson on a one year deal. But I think he's making a big mistake if he misses most of training camp.
The 49ers are pricing Goldson out of their own spending range. I see them tagging Goldson again for 2013. We better be in the market for a long term solution at FS sometime soon.
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Jul 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM ]
Oh well, i hope he signs his deal asap so he doesn't miss anymore time with the team then he already has. sure they could tag him again next year but do they want to go through this situation again.

Without concrete proof nor insider info im gonna go out on a limb and say i believe this FO /staff doesn't want to have players on the squad whose contract situations can disrupt the team or distract a single player from the goal of that team. Admittedly, this is a unique season because hopes are SOOO high and for good reason.

If they the niners and goldson have to go through this again then he must have had a MONSTER year so as to bring the niners back to the table or the FO and coaching will have failed by not developing a plan b.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home