LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

We should re-sign or trade for Nate Clements and have him move to the free safety position. He was not always the best cornerback, but I'm sure his coverage is much better than Dashon and he can hit pretty hard and on target. I remember some of his tackles looking like a heat-seeking missile out of a silo. And he knows how to play Larry Fitzgerald. He got shut down for 3 years against Spencer and Clements before 2011.

Originally posted by Psinex:
We should re-sign or trade for Nate Clements and have him move to the free safety position. He was not always the best cornerback, but I'm sure his coverage is much better than Dashon and he can hit pretty hard and on target. I remember some of his tackles looking like a heat-seeking missile out of a silo. And he knows how to play Larry Fitzgerald. He got shut down for 3 years against Spencer and Clements before 2011.

damn
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

damn

Really not a terrible idea. Wouldn't be a bad 2 year competition idea if Goldson continues this. He did this already last year and I really don't want them to invest 7 million a year on him. I love him as a player but I don't think he's worth that much as this team has bigger needs coming up.
Any new info yet? Isn't the cutoff date where teams can sign their tagged players coming up pretty soon?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Any new info yet? Isn't the cutoff date where teams can sign their tagged players coming up pretty soon?

Believe it is July 16th.
"The safety position is currently undergoing a re-evaluation in the NFL. In-the-box defenders geared towards defending the run are diminishing in value, while athletic, coverage-oriented safeties are in high demand.

The supply of safeties who are big enough to match up against modern tight ends as well as athletic enough to cover quick slot receivers lags severely behind the demand, forcing teams to invest heavily in the position; Tampa Bay used the seventh-overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft in order to ensure that they landed Alabama safety Mark Barron this past April."

rest of article

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/07/eric-reid-lsu-safety-a-trade-up-option-for-the-patriots-in-2013.html#more-18506

Clements is under contract with Cincinnati for another year.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Dashon to play under Franchise Tag...

Eddie Borsilli ‏@Borsilli
Goldson on the July 16th deadline to sign his tender. "Hopefully things will get worked out but if I have to play for the tag, so be it"
Help the Niners win a SB. Get his big payday after. Win-win.
What an arrogant greedy overrated thug piece of work.....you fellas in here were right!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/goldson-wants-long-term-security-knows-he-may-not-get-it/
"I'm hoping something long-term will happen," 49ers safety Dashon Goldson told Randy Cross and Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday night, via Marvez's double-dipping article at FOXSports.com. "I'm not taking anything personally. I look at it as a business move on [San Francisco's] part. That's just the business. "If I have to play for the tag, I'll play for the tag. But any guy would love long-term security."

the nerve of this guy! Where art thou Reggie Smith?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
What an arrogant greedy overrated thug piece of work.....you fellas in here were right!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/goldson-wants-long-term-security-knows-he-may-not-get-it/
"I'm hoping something long-term will happen," 49ers safety Dashon Goldson told Randy Cross and Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday night, via Marvez's double-dipping article at FOXSports.com. "I'm not taking anything personally. I look at it as a business move on [San Francisco's] part. That's just the business. "If I have to play for the tag, I'll play for the tag. But any guy would love long-term security."

Dude... really? You were that hurt by the comments about Dashon from weeks ago that you had to play this weak card? This isn't about being right or wrong. This isn't even about Goldson's ego, thuggishness, or lack thereof. It is about finances.. and whether he is worth what he thinks he is worth. He comes off here as mature and accepting... great.. glad to hear it.

What were his choices though? To say, "man f**k them cheap-arse Yorks for not payinz me the monies I deserves!" Think that would have been a bright option? I guarantee you, NO ONE gives a real s**t about what goes on in the mind of Dashon Goldson... so long as he shows up and plays hard to help us win ring # 6. Fans don't want him to weaken our defense by being selfish... that's it. It's not like we don't want him back or think he's the scum of the Earth, lolz.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Grow up, dude. This isn't about being right or wrong. This isn't even about Goldson's ego, thuggishness, or lack thereof. It is about finances.. and whether he is worth what he thinks he is worth. He comes off here as mature and accepting... great.. glad to hear it.

What were his choices here? To say, "man f**k them cheap-arse Yorks for not payinz me the monies I deserves!" Think that would have been a bright option? I guarantee you, NO ONE gives a real s**t about what goes on in the mind of Dashon Goldson... so long as he shows up and plays hard to help us win ring # 6.
so its ok to try to get a read on the type of person Alex Smith is, but not the same for Goldson......where as there were some posters here, like yourself, who don't really know the guy, but threw out words like greedy, thug, selfish etc?

I'm not saying you said all those things...but you did mention a couple of those.....and others here have as well.

edit- And don't tell me to grow the f**k up, you're not even old, but use that nickname for god knows what reason.....I didn't call you out on your bias Alex reports in years past when "reviewing" our games, because I respect my elders...but little did I know you were as mature as some of the other 14 year olds on the internet.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:40 AM ]
so its ok to try to get a read on the type of person Alex Smith is, but not the same for Goldson......where as there were some posters here, like yourself, who don't really know the guy, but threw out words like greedy, thug, selfish etc?

I'm not saying you said all those things...but you did mention a couple of those.....and others here have as well.

Bottom line, Dashon is and was being greedy and selfish. You have presented no real evidence to combat that. To call him that is not equivalent to saying he isn't a good player and we don't want him on the field. Greed is greed though. It's all about team finances under the cap. He tried to get what he felt he deserved, and the F/O didn't budge. Great.. now he can sign his 1 yr deal and we can look forward ( I hope ) to seeing him go to work when TC opens.
" Fans don't want him to weaken our defense by being selfish... that's it"

what the hell does this even mean???

If the front office feels he is worth the money and gave him a contract, it would not be his "selfishness" that would cause our defense to weaken...

man, I'm out...

edit- And don't tell me to grow the f**k up, you're not even old, but use that nickname for god knows what reason.....I didn't call you out on your bias Alex reports in years past when "reviewing" our games, because I respect my elders...but little did I know you were as mature as some of the other 14 year olds on the internet.

Settle down. For goodness sake, you are getting yourself all worked up because of some anonymous message board poster. Your original, recent post was nothing more than inciteful and showed that you had hurt feelings from comments made about Dashon weeks ago.
Share 49ersWebzone