There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. He better take his $6 million a year and be on his way, or play this year and we will draft his replacement then.

I think the report was he wants Weddle's 5 year 40 million (8 a year) and the 9ers were offering 7 million. Not sure why people think he will take 6.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299021e/article/report-dashon-goldson-49ers-separated-by-1m

usually you see people more willing to play for less to be on a good team.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. He better take his $6 million a year and be on his way, or play this year and we will draft his replacement then.

I think the report was he wants Weddle's 5 year 40 million (8 a year) and the 9ers were offering 7 million. Not sure why people think he will take 6.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299021e/article/report-dashon-goldson-49ers-separated-by-1m

I'm good with that, as long its structured like the Brooks deal (Incentive city). Base 5.5 with escalators.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Rolle went from Arizona to the NYG and got paid 5 years 37.5 million with 15 guaranteed and IMO Goldson is as good but probably better than him. If someone is to blame it's teams overpaying players and then our guys get it in their head they should get that because so and so overpaid somebody.

Also, Eric Berry (granted it was before the rookie scale) got 6 years 60 million max with 34 guaranteed. OJ Atogwe got 5 years 26 million from the Redskins and he's way past his prime. Adrian Wilson got 5 years 39.5 with 18.5 guaratneed and again Goldson is as good as he is.

P.S. Although the topic of discussion is fully legit the original poll question is ridiculous. What Goldson wants is below what Berry, Reed, Polamalu and probably a few other players are getting. So saying highest paid S in the league is fishing IMO.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!

Maybe Top 20? LOL

he's top 10

Rolle went from Arizona to the NYG and got paid 5 years 37.5 million with 15 guaranteed and IMO Goldson is as good but probably better than him. If someone is to blame it's teams overpaying players and then our guys get it in their head they should get that because so and so overpaid somebody.

Also, Eric Berry (granted it was before the rookie scale) got 6 years 60 million max with 34 guaranteed. OJ Atogwe got 5 years 26 million from the Redskins and he's way past his prime. Adrian Wilson got 5 years 39.5 with 18.5 guaratneed and again Goldson is as good as he is.

P.S. Although the topic of discussion is fully legit the original poll question is ridiculous. What Goldson wants is below what Berry, Reed, Polamalu and probably a few other players are getting. So saying highest paid S in the league is fishing IMO.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't over pay for him.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!

Maybe Top 20? LOL

he's top 10

Maybe bottom of the top 10 more like top 15. There are a lot of safeties in the league that would thrive in this defense.
5 years 50mil make it happen

So true my friend. Berry got outrageous money, but like said before rookie scale. Wilson was over the hill, Rolle sucked, Atogwe was over hyped by most.

I would put him in the 6-7M range at most. I can't see a 8M a yr deal for him. Eric Weddle money is too much IMO. 5yrs $32M is fair IMO, thats $6.4M average, which is fair IMO. If he is offered a 5yr 35M deal, 7M average, and isn't taking it, he is freaking crazy, he wouldn't get 7M or more on the open market.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Maybe bottom of the top 10 more like top 15. There are a lot of safeties in the league that would thrive in this defense.

Pretty much how I feel. Goldson is good but by no stretch of the imagination is he a top five safety. Top ten maybe. I don't see why we should pay a bunch of money to a guy that still takes piss poor angles to the ball and is a so-so tackler. Sure, he can lay you out if the ball is in the air long enough, but what safety can't?

I think the deal we offered him last year was more than reasonable. I say if he doesn't want to take it, then let him go.
[ Edited by baltien on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM ]
Just as example look what happened to Clements niners overpaid him,he had an ok statistics with buffalo ,the he sucked for the following years ,if a remember correct....6 mil.is ok for him...
He will be next years Josh Morgan. Somebody will overpay with a smile on their face and Baalke will move on to the next guy.
One thing that probably hasn't been brought up but Goldson played the last 5 years for a total of around 4 million dollars. He had a 4 year, 2 million dollar rookie contract and a 1 year 2 mil deal last year. I know he had a down year two years ago but still he played 2 good years for a total of say 2.5 million. That extra we pay him in a way makes up for him being underpaid those two years. Just a different way of looking at things.
He sure seems to have an inflated sense of self. $7M is a lot more than what I thought the FO would offer him. I wouldn't have given him anywhere near that much.
One thing that probably hasn't been brought up but Goldson played the last 5 years for a total of around 4 million dollars. He had a 4 year, 2 million dollar rookie contract and a 1 year 2 mil deal last year. I know he had a down year two years ago but still he played 2 good years for a total of say 2.5 million. That extra we pay him in a way makes up for him being underpaid those two years. Just a different way of looking at things.

Gore 21 = Goldson I like the guy, but let's not mortgage the future over him. There are plenty of players we are going to need to sign and giving him top five money may be a little irresponsible.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He will be next years Josh Morgan. Somebody will overpay with a smile on their face and Baalke will move on to the next guy.

My spidey senses are telling me you are right if he doesn't accept what is on the table.