LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

I'd rather see that money go to Bowman before Goldson.
Reggie Smith
Taylor Mays
Michael Lewis
Mark Roman
Keith Lewis
Tony Parrish

Tha man should get paid a fair amount around the 6 mill mark. Thats more than fair...
This all kind of sounds like Goldson trying to jockey for a bigger contract again, but this time I bet he gives in before "walking" like he did last time. There arent too many front 7's in the league that will make him look as good as ours does. Put him on a team that needs to sacrifice coverage in order to get to the QB and he goes back to being an average safety.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Everyone keeps saying this, but we need Goldson more than we need Bowman since we have Patrick Willis.
I should of been more specific. I was referring to the TD pass given up that allowed the cowboys to tie the game on the next drive. Not the overtime play.
Originally posted by hateroids84:

Everyone keeps saying this, but we need Goldson more than we need Bowman since we have Patrick Willis.

You left out "It's my opinion that...". Bowman is almost as important as Willis. If you recall the previous year with Takeo Spikes next to Willis, they looked good, but Takeo doesn't have Bowman's range. Once you put Bowman and Willis next to each other, as a defensive coordinator you have the luxury of dropping one of them into coverage or having the range to cover rushes to both sides. With just Willis, you couldn't count on that kind of range from Takeo. With Bowman, our defense goes from a top 10 defense to a top 3 defense.

With Dashon, I don't really see him being that difficult to replace. He's good at getting into the box and hitting people downhill, but if they get behind him, Dashon is as good as burnt. I love some of the hits he's put on other teams, like that Tampa Bay hit...that was ridiculous. But he has almost no recovery ability and his secondary defense is average to below average. We need to start grooming other players at free safety, not only for depth but an improvement in coverage, which is where our defense could use improvement.

WTF!!! Ummmm.......nevermind I'm not even going to comment
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mann716:

WTF!!! Ummmm.......nevermind I'm not even going to comment

I think you're right.
And this is why Goldson will have the right to sit out the 2012 season or sign his tender for a one year contract. There is no way he is worth 8 million a year. He is in the right system with the right front seven. he should be thanking his lucky stars and signing a 6 million a year contract as fast as it is printed.

Let Goldson walk after this season. Not worth breaking the bank
I agree w/5280...Goldson should take $7M if that's what the Niners have offered. Even that's too much...he's had one good year, which in my book doesn't equate to the huge bucks he's asking for. Granted, Ravens front 7 gives Reed a lot of support, too, but he's got mad ball skills. He's earned his top dollar by years of playing at the top of the S in the league. Goldson hasn't even come close...let him walk if he doesn't take the more than fair contract Baalke/Marethe have offered.

Umm...does everyone forget that Culliver was a safety in college? A pretty damn good one too. I like Dashon, but the fool has lost his freaking mind.
Originally posted by faithful4eva:
Reggie Smith
Taylor Mays
Michael Lewis
Mark Roman
Keith Lewis
Tony Parrish

Tha man should get paid a fair amount around the 6 mill mark. Thats more than fair...

Yeah, since Tony Parrish we haven't had a solid safety at either spot. A few decent years here and there but that goes back to 2003-04. Anyways, I'd prefer something like 5 years 30-32 million but I would go to 5 years 35. He has to be negotiable and come down from 8 years 40 million. However, if that's what it takes maybe meet at 37.5 but make it cap friendly and make him hit incentives to earn it. We can always restructure later in the deal if he isn't living up to it or we need the extra money. Right now Spillman might have potential but our defense/team is too good to gamble on him and Robinson looks more like a corner or backup S than a top 5-10 S like Goldson. He isn't perfect but he far better than any FA next year at FS and it would probably save us a 1st round pick (next year for FS).

To address Culliver I think he is playing too well at CB to try him at S. Also, that would put us in a need for CB then as well. It's a lateral move plus Culliver becoming a good CB is more valuable to us than him being a good FS. Like I said our team is too close and our defense is too good to mess with it. I believe Goldson has until July 16 to work out a long term deal or he plays for the 1 year 6.25 mil deal. He's overvaluing himself but that's who he is and I know the S class is good next year but still there are no guarantees and it just seems foolish to gamble when we are so close.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
This all kind of sounds like Goldson trying to jockey for a bigger contract again, but this time I bet he gives in before "walking" like he did last time. There arent too many front 7's in the league that will make him look as good as ours does. Put him on a team that needs to sacrifice coverage in order to get to the QB and he goes back to being an average safety.

Agree. He better take his $6 million a year and be on his way, or play this year and we will draft his replacement then.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. He better take his $6 million a year and be on his way, or play this year and we will draft his replacement then.

I think the report was he wants Weddle's 5 year 40 million (8 a year) and the 9ers were offering 7 million. Not sure why people think he will take 6.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299021e/article/report-dashon-goldson-49ers-separated-by-1m
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by tohara3:

I think the report was he wants Weddle's 5 year 40 million (8 a year) and the 9ers were offering 7 million. Not sure why people think he will take 6.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299021e/article/report-dashon-goldson-49ers-separated-by-1m

usually you see people more willing to play for less to be on a good team.
Share 49ersWebzone