LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

CJ Spillman vs Goldson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Barrows wrote an article recently that read,

"C.J. Spillman is filling in at free safety when the first-team defense takes the field. The 49ers signed Spillman to a three-year extension this offseason. Spillman may be the most physically gifted of all of the team's safeties -- he's certainly one of the more aggressive -- but he lacks experience."

I then did some research on the physical differences of Goldson and Spillman

Goldson:

Age 27 6'2" 200lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.67

Spillman:

Age 26 6'0" 199lbs, 40 yard dash at the Combine 4.45

Seems that Spillman is faster and stronger considering that he weighs the same as Goldson yet is 2 inches shorter. Though he has special teams value, he also has the physical tangables to beat out Goldson yet lacks the experience. This front office does not give contracts away to scrubs and with this coaching staff being able to coach up talent I could see Goldson departing and being replaced after this year if he continues to be greedy and not take fair value contracts (last years decline on the 5 year 25 million dollar offer). Discuss.

Also found a YouTube video of him getting a freebe pic of Nate Davis a few years ago:

[ Edited by THEMerts80 on May 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM ]
Good post.

Agree Baale/JH don't give longer than 1 year contracts to scrubs.

My gut feeling is Goldson gets anoter 1 year tender and is gone next season.

If Spillmn gows down - who is next?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

Thanks Wally. Every time I read Spillman's name I don't think about him much and consider him almost a nobody but I was surprised how right Barrows was about the physical ability. And if Spillman were to go down then next in line would be the rookie, Trent Robinson. This office always has a plan B and C it seems like. With that formula and depth always in mind; the 9ers are gonna me winning a lot of games for while!
Won't be able to tell til the guy hits the field in real game time action. Really could careless about his measureables. No doubt that goldson will be gone after this season if they can't agree on anything.
Those are great measurables for sure but, like lamont alluded to, those tenths of a second can be made up with good decision making and instincts. No way to really know if he has the instincts unless he gets some real experience(i think he'll get more playing time next season). I'm confident the coaching staff can get the most out of him and I'm glad we have him and Trenton as depth. I don't see us giving Goldson a huge contract next season.
Taylor Mays had all of the measurables, as do many defensive backs. If only it was that simple.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Taylor Mays had all of the measurables, as do many defensive backs. If only it was that simple.

Yeah his straight away speed and being 30 yards off the ball and then B lining for big hits or tackles but thats not fair to throw around. As Barrows mentions, he is the most aggressive of all the safeties so it sounds like he needs to work on not getting burned with double moves etc.
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Yeah his straight away speed and being 30 yards off the ball and then B lining for big hits or tackles but thats not fair to throw around. As Barrows mentions, he is the most aggressive of all the safeties so it sounds like he needs to work on not getting burned with double moves etc.

Matt Barrows is just a beat writer. His opinion on a players game should be taken with a grain of salt. Plus they are just playing in shorts right now, everyone looks pretty good this time of year.
Good post.

scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol

He was referring to Spillmans 3 year contract, not Goldson

Good post.

This, it seems like we draft or sign a replacement for a guy right before his contract is up, offer him what we think he is worth then let him walk.

Goldson was a great player for us last year but definitely was not the MVP of our defense.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

this

Goldson was a great player for us last year but definitely was not the MVP of our defense.

Goldson the MVP? Can't tell if serious.
stronger....how so?
Share 49ersWebzone