LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

CJ Spillman vs Goldson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 4thn10:
blah, Goldson tackled two niners in the Giants game who probably would have had interceptions. Might have never had to go to overtime if it wasn't for those. But he did have a great interception in the Saints game. Unless he agrees to some humility with the monitary negotiations he probably won't be with the niners after this seasaon.

his play is complemented by our front seven. if someone overpays him, they will b sorry. i just know that it won't b us. we have developed him into a good player, but he isn't all of a sudden ed reed or palomalu

Yes! This and This again!
this is our fan base people...this is what they have become ^

to blame Goldson for the lost in that championship game.....to even blame him for the dropped picks because as a Free Satefy who was one of tops in the league in Picks on a Team that relies on turnovers to win games....for you to blame him for trying to get a turnover in NFC Championship shows how dumb you three are. Its not about having an opinion, it is just dumb.

you might try to consider that as a personal attack, but honestly your logic regarding the issue is what is a personal attack on our intelligence.

Dude they aren't saying Goldson is bad or nor am I. 4thn10 was saying Goldson needs to take some humility and accept a fair value contract from the 49ers and was just stating some mistakes he made in the Giant game. Pillbusta was saying he isn't a HOF safety in the league right now in regards to ed reed, and Palomalu. If you disagree with any of those statements I just had to spell out for you please tell me what you disagree with. No one is saying hey Goldson cost us the game in the Giant game but still made two mistakes non the less. Its not the topic of conversation.

The topic here is that the front office has offered Goldson fair contracts, and continues to want more, and you would think he would want to take less just to be part of the winning program around here. I think Goldson is gonna walk after this year if he doesn't hammer our a long term contract before training camp. Thus I was discussing the possibility of Spillman replacing Goldson eventually rather then Robinson.

Please if you disagree with anything in the first paragraph let me know, and if you don't... then your just a jackass.
[ Edited by THEMerts80 on May 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
scrubs? Goldson was the MVP of our defense last year bro, did you watch any games lol

n***a, he's probably the 5th best player last year behind Smith, Bowman, Willis, Rogers. Hell, Aldon may be ahead of him.
Dashon Goldson WHO IS A FREE SAFETY, WHO IS WATCHING THE QB'S EYES.....WHO IS TRYING TO TAKE AN ANGLE TO EITHER KNOCK THE BALL DOWN OR GET A INT....THAT IS WHAT HE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO........THAT IS HIS JOB!

To say those plays were mistakes by Goldson is dumb.....that doesn't mean the person who is saying those is not smart or doesn't bring nothing to society...heck I consider myself smart, free thinker, but i'm a horrible speller and I'm lazy to properly punctuate sentences correctly...I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be.

But saying those plays were mistakes by Goldson is dumb. He is a free safety.....to blame him for those is to just a sad attempt nitpick his play to prove some other point.

The reason I get riled up over this (and knew I'd get a warning...but damn did it feel good to let s**t out) is because I've had to read about that s**t since the day it happened.........of all the things to blame (or bring up) about that loss...lol. Those plays just showed how Great our defense is....to have 2 plays where we have 2 defenders have clear INTS, shows we have smart players athletic players.....they were in the zone that game. To bad our offense and Kyle Williams and the f'n Coaching staff for leaving Kyle out there when it was obvious his whole 9er career that the guy has brain farts when returning punts.........they couldn't help our defense out.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
As far as the contract issue....I don't think we should treat him like say Brooks or Carlos Rogers regarding a compromise. I believe he is one of the best at his position.

he is one of the, if not the Tallest Free Safeties with great range.....and he can hit HARD without getting a penalty, which is VERY important with regards to the current state of the NFL rules. The way he baited Drew Brees of all QBs into an INT was amazing, even more so the fact he did it in the playoffs. Big Time players make Big Time plays when they count. He almost had 2 in that Giants game.

I don't think he expects to get overpaid, enough to where it affects us as a team.....the fact that he fired his agent, and got one who have worked well with the 49ers shows he is trying to get something done.
As far as the contract issue....I don't think we should treat him like say Brooks or Carlos Rogers regarding a compromise. I believe he is one of the best at his position.

he is one of the, if not the Tallest Free Safeties with great range.....and he can hit HARD without getting a penalty, which is VERY important with regards to the current state of the NFL rules. The way he baited Drew Brees of all QBs into an INT was amazing, even more so the fact he did it in the playoffs. Big Time players make Big Time plays when they count. He almost had 2 in that Giants game.

I don't think he expects to get overpaid, enough to where it affects us as a team.....the fact that he fired his agent, and got one who have worked well with the 49ers shows he is trying to get something done.
Totally agree with this as well... but I hope him and the 49ers find some middle ground in the next 70 days or so. I don't think rogers or brooks compromised that much. Franchise tag for a corner goes around 10 million and he received a 4 year 29 million dollar deal. That equates to about 7.25 million a year. Totally fair value for a 30 something year old. Safeties are franchised at 6.2 million. 49ers before this last year gave him a 5 million dollar a year offer (5 years for 25 mill). I think Dashon Goldson is a top 7 safety in the league. Thus he should take a deal that is only slightly bigger then the previous one... Say 5 years 29 million. I was not agreeing about the Giant game and because of that game he shouldn't get paid. I was simply agreeing that he needs to take the offer that the 9ers practically offered him a year ago. If not Spillman will be waiting. You can bank on that.
Dashon Goldson WHO IS A FREE SAFETY, WHO IS WATCHING THE QB'S EYES.....WHO IS TRYING TO TAKE AN ANGLE TO EITHER KNOCK THE BALL DOWN OR GET A INT....THAT IS WHAT HE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO........THAT IS HIS JOB!

To say those plays were mistakes by Goldson is dumb.....that doesn't mean the person who is saying those is not smart or doesn't bring nothing to society...heck I consider myself smart, free thinker, but i'm a horrible speller and I'm lazy to properly punctuate sentences correctly...I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be.

But saying those plays were mistakes by Goldson is dumb. He is a free safety.....to blame him for those is to just a sad attempt nitpick his play to prove some other point.

The reason I get riled up over this (and knew I'd get a warning...but damn did it feel good to let s**t out) is because I've had to read about that s**t since the day it happened.........of all the things to blame (or bring up) about that loss...lol. Those plays just showed how Great our defense is....to have 2 plays where we have 2 defenders have clear INTS, shows we have smart players athletic players.....they were in the zone that game. To bad our offense and Kyle Williams and the f'n Coaching staff for leaving Kyle out there when it was obvious his whole 9er career that the guy has brain farts when returning punts.........they couldn't help our defense out.

And once again I say u can feel good about letting s**t out but u need to watch who u let it out on!! I said his play is complemented by our front seven as is our defensive performance is complemented by him. We have developed him into a pretty good player and he has played an important part in a pretty great defense. We will offer him a pretty sizable contract but he has not yet earned the right to be payed like ed reed or troy palomalu. He may in time but not yet. We have a lot of components that need to be extended in the near future and myself personally, I'm concerned mores about retaining navarro bowman as a sidekick for patrick willis than I am about throwing the bank at goldson. I didn't say goldson was an idiot for trying to make a football play in forcing turnovers which is what we did all year. I was infuriated that twice he broke up INTs but I appreciated that he was trying to make plays for our defense. Us not continuing to pound out the clock on the ground vs the Giants small d line when Gore was toting it for 6ypc was a part in us not advancing. But I don't make it a point to bash our players and not our fans. We are supposed to be on the same team. I can understand deserved criticism such as when players just quit on us or say incendiary things but calling others dumb in a blanket statement when in this instance what I said was probably true by anyone's account. Well you tell me. Is that dumb? Let us grow up and use some civility in posting
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 4thn10:
blah, Goldson tackled two niners in the Giants game who probably would have had interceptions. Might have never had to go to overtime if it wasn't for those. But he did have a great interception in the Saints game. Unless he agrees to some humility with the monitary negotiations he probably won't be with the niners after this seasaon.

his play is complemented by our front seven. if someone overpays him, they will b sorry. i just know that it won't b us. we have developed him into a good player, but he isn't all of a sudden ed reed or palomalu

Yes! This and This again!
this is our fan base people...this is what they have become ^

to blame Goldson for the lost in that championship game.....to even blame him for the dropped picks because as a Free Satefy who was one of tops in the league in Picks on a Team that relies on turnovers to win games....for you to blame him for trying to get a turnover in NFC Championship shows how dumb you three are. Its not about having an opinion, it is just dumb.

you might try to consider that as a personal attack, but honestly your logic regarding the issue is what is a personal attack on our intelligence.

They have a right to their opinion. And yes, I do regard your post as a personal attack on them. The fact that you do not agree with them does not give you the right to attack them.
Dude they aren't saying Goldson is bad or nor am I. 4thn10 was saying Goldson needs to take some humility and accept a fair value contract from the 49ers and was just stating some mistakes he made in the Giant game. Pillbusta was saying he isn't a HOF safety in the league right now in regards to ed reed, and Palomalu. If you disagree with any of those statements I just had to spell out for you please tell me what you disagree with. No one is saying hey Goldson cost us the game in the Giant game but still made two mistakes non the less. Its not the topic of conversation.

The topic here is that the front office has offered Goldson fair contracts, and continues to want more, and you would think he would want to take less just to be part of the winning program around here. I think Goldson is gonna walk after this year if he doesn't hammer our a long term contract before training camp. Thus I was discussing the possibility of Spillman replacing Goldson eventually rather then Robinson.

Please if you disagree with anything in the first paragraph let me know, and if you don't... then your just a jackass.

What the hell is the matter with you people tonight? Stop the abuse, both of you.
Originally posted by English:
What the hell is the matter with you people tonight? Stop the abuse, both of you.

English you can not be mad at me? I was called a dumb fan so I was defending myself. And what he said was very rude so I called him out on what he was being? Where is the abuse on my end?
Originally posted by English:

English you can not be mad at me? I was called a dumb fan so I was defending myself. And what he said was very rude so I called him out on what he was being? Where is the abuse on my end?

The word "jackass".

You don't defend yourself on this forum by attacking back. Not unless you want a warning yourself. You press the report button or you pm the mods.

Bottom line is the safety position is vulnerable in terms of not having proven backups, regardless of where you spot them. I saw another article that said Spillman is a sure tackler, best suited for strong safety, while the rookie Robinsion is best suited for free safety. Whatever. The point is we need experienced backups at that position, and we don't have them now.

conjecture at this point...he either puts the team first or money
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Taylor Mays had all of the measurables, as do many defensive backs. If only it was that simple.

This.Mays had better "measureables",but he sucked.no one knows till spillman hits the field.

Till then "no one curr"
I like Goldson, I really like Goldson.

I also agree the plays he makes are not luck. he IS a playmaker.

I just wonder if his character is the reason the coaching staff is reluctant to give him a long term contract. Hell, I wonder if that is why the whole NFL was reluctant to give him a long term contract when he tested the waters last year
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I like Goldson, I really like Goldson.

I also agree the plays he makes are not luck. he IS a playmaker.

I just wonder if his character is the reason the coaching staff is reluctant to give him a long term contract. Hell, I wonder if that is why the whole NFL was reluctant to give him a long term contract when he tested the waters last year

What is wrong with his character? I don't see him getting into any off the field trouble. He was a bit of a douche last offseason and I think part of that was his agents doing. However he took his humble pie and had a great year.
Share 49ersWebzone